(c25k) is it giving up if....

Options
I've been stuck on week 6 c25k for 3 weeks now, unable to get out more thn 2 days a week because of flooding and ice where I live. I have no access to a gym or treadmill, and it's getting relly frustrating.

Is it giving up if i switch to a different workout until the winter months pass? I have some biggest loser workouts and a cross trainer in my house, as well as wii fit.

I just can't help but feel like I'll be giving up if I switch to those workouts, but c25k is getting impossible atm.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    shameless, self interested bump ;)
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    No of course it is not giving up, you can't help the weather conditions, so by all means switch to something else at least you are still exercising.
  • katcunock
    Options
    thanks :) i'm just concerned about having to start over again with the whole c25k programme when i got so far
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Ouch - where you are (Down Pompey way) can be hideous when the weather closes in - although when I was on assignment down there I did join a local gym - I remember there being footie pitches as well there (just can't remember the place as it was yonks ago)...

How about aiming to do at least one of the sessions a week whenever the weather allows...?
    If you manage twice, then bonus, a third time, then win?
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    Options
    I personally think you're not giving up. Canadian winters are bad with ice and crap so i decided to wait until it's nicer out to try again then :)
  • Tinkerbsb
    Tinkerbsb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I dont think its giving up I mean your not going to stop working out are you? As long as you keep working out I dont call that giving up
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    You're not giving up! Finding other exercises you can do given your current situation is so much better than sitting around, frustrated that you can't do a specific program! Do SOMETHING, and keep moving. I bet you find your C25K progress benefits from it! When you go back. There are lots of DVDs and YouTube programs out there, low impact, high impact, weights, etc. Find one - or many - that you like!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    IMHO no. As long as you continue to work out at the same perceived level.

How about doing both? You'll keep your work in c25k and add other things.

I've seen manynpeoplevquit outdoor running during the winter or super hot month.

Good luck!
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    thanks :) i'm just concerned about having to start over again with the whole c25k programme when i got so far

I wouldn't worry about it. Start where you left off, and if need be, go back to an earlier week of the program. You'll be fine. :)
  • katcunock
    Options
    Ouch - where you are (Down Pompey way) can be hideous when the weather closes in - although when I was on assignment down there I did join a local gym - I remember there being footie pitches as well there (just can't remember the place as it was yonks ago)...

How about aiming to do at least one of the sessions a week whenever the weather allows...?
    If you manage twice, then bonus, a third time, then win?

yeah i'm in portsmouth. there are plenty of gyms i just can't afford one. i mange to get in at least 2 5 mile walks a week, yeah i guess tryint to run once a week at least would be a good comprimise :)
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Maybe just get out the days you can, and do the other workouts when you can? I would be afraid of losing all the progress made thus far.
  • terry_murray
    Options
    Hi. I really don't think it's giving up at all. You have to be realistic about what you can do safely. Imagine if you went running and slipped in ice and couldn't get out again for ages because you'd hurt yourself. Now, THAT would be frustrating. Running will still be there when the weather's better. I'm dreading the ice here, coz I know I'll feel exactly the same as you. I will have to dig out Jillian Michaels, and she hates me, I know she does :laugh:
  • katcunock
    Options
    Hi. I really don't think it's giving up at all. You have to be realistic about what you can do safely. Imagine if you went running and slipped in ice and couldn't get out again for ages because you'd hurt yourself. Now, THAT would be frustrating. Running will still be there when the weather's better. I'm dreading the ice here, coz I know I'll feel exactly the same as you. I will have to dig out Jillian Michaels, and she hates me, I know she does :laugh:

i have two voices in my head - the bob and the gillian. When i'm running and doing well, bob is cheering, and when i feel like giving up, Gillian swears at me :/
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My gym membership is ending at the end of the year, so I'm really nervous about completing c25k without the help of a treadmill and a temperature controlled room. But running outside is something that I'm going to try first, before I wait till it gets warmer.

I don't think it's giving up especially if you continue to workout.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    No! Week six is awesome! I've been doing c25k once a week and keeping up. My body still remembers the 10 km I have done the last two Aprils. Do something else or do week six day one once a week! ( I thought I would need to repeat a week but haven't yet. If its hard I just run slower)
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    No it's not giving up unless you just become a couch potato and don't do some other workout. I completed the program but should have quit. I had a bad case of plantar fasciitis and continued to push because I didn't want to quit. Mistake, bad case turned to severe case. Anyway, I'm able to workout again and as soon as I feel comfortable about my foot's health I'm going to do it again even if I have to start back at week 1, day 1 ;) But I'd almost bet if you continue working out you won't have to start at the very beginning. When you start back I'd do a test run to see where you are, you might be pleasantly surprised that you won't have to start all the way back at the beginning.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Hey, this is your journey (I hate that word, but you know what I mean...) You're only in competition with yourself. It doesn't sound like you're giving up at all, just postponing it until a time when you can do it justice. I'm starting to have the same problem here where I live, and was just considering having a break from running the other day. You might find you have to start again right from the beginning, but if you're prepared for that, then it's fine. You don't want to risk getting a serious injury that stops you working out for a lot longer.
  • TrinityTrinityTrinity
    Options
    no, it's not giving up! Keep working out and get back in to it when weather permits! It's actually good to cross-train and build up leg, back and core muscles that will help you run more efficiently.
  • TrinityTrinityTrinity
    Options

I wouldn't worry about it. Start where you left off, and if need be, go back to an earlier week of the program. You'll be fine. :)
    If you can do some indoor cardio you won't be as far behind.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    You're NOT giving up!! Sounds like you're stuck on this, and maybe your body needs the change. Keep working out, which it sounds like you plan to do, and when you pick it back up in the spring, you shouldn't have to start at the beginning. Do whatever you need to do to keep your body moving!