I can't figure out what to do.

Options
After high school I drastically gained a huge amount of weight. The freshmen 15 became the sophomore 30, then so on and so on. Now here I am four years later and I'm trying to celebrate the huge hurdles that I've gotten over such as becoming an official pastry chef at only 21 and finally getting my own apartment.

I hate looking in the mirror, all of the friends I'm sure can notice that my style is slowly becoming more and more dowdy, I'm working thirteen hour days, and I just don't have time for anything.

I really need to lose weight, I currently injured my back in a car accident and luckily it wasn't anything that needs surgery but if I don't lose weight it'll cause it to become a huge problem in the future.

I need help to figure out what I can do to somehow manage a workout routine (my knees are slightly weak...even since I was really skinny) , fix my eating habits (since I'm surrounded by pastries and desserts), and somehow just staying motivated on my own without driving myself insane.

I'd really love anyone's input here.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    First of all congrats on becoming a pastry chef, that's awesome.

I've always had a tremendous respect for chefs.

As far as your situation goes I think you need to objectively sit down and look at your schedule and start finding out where you can make sacrifices. There are single parents of multiple children who work two jobs and probably (no offense) have it a lot rougher than you do and they're also working a lot harder at getting in shape, because at a core level it is more important to them than it is to you. I'm not saying this to judge you or discourage you, quite the opposite in fact. You need to draw a line in the sand so to speak, and decide that you're all in.

Just as an example, my MFP friend Ed Davenport was trapped inside his house at 511lbs. That's morbidly obese. That's throw in the towel because you're basically the size of 3 people now obese. Look what Ed did:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/743173-311-lbs-lost-and-body-lift-on-the-24th-started-a-blog?hl=311+lbs&page=1#posts-10971116

Ed made sacrifices and he probably decided that he had to take control over his life before his life ended due to his lack of control. Just putting this out there for you as a great example and hopefully something to inspire you to get going.

I promise you that the actual time commitment is a whole lot of excuse and not a lot of substance when you really look at what is required of you. The vast majority of your hurdles will be food intake related and not "can I make time to train".

You need to create an energy deficit. You can still eat a pastry here and there if you're diligent about the rest of your diet and stay in a calorie deficit.

You should do some form of exercise, I'd recommend 4 days per week as a general starting point. You don't need to do 3 hours of it each day. 45 minutes goes a long way.

You should try not to complicate it beyond the basics.
  • tidetevo
    tidetevo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later:blushing:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

As far as your situation goes I think you need to objectively sit down and look at your schedule and start finding out where you can make sacrifices. There are single parents of multiple children who work two jobs and probably (no offense) have it a lot rougher than you do and they're also working a lot harder at getting in shape, because at a core level it is more important to them than it is to you. I'm not saying this to judge you or discourage you, quite the opposite in fact. You need to draw a line in the sand so to speak, and decide that you're all in.

Just as an example, my MFP friend Ed Davenport was trapped inside his house at 511lbs. That's morbidly obese. That's throw in the towel because you're basically the size of 3 people now obese. Look what Ed did:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/743173-311-lbs-lost-and-body-lift-on-the-24th-started-a-blog?hl=311+lbs&page=1#posts-10971116

Ed made sacrifices and he probably decided that he had to take control over his life before his life ended due to his lack of control. Just putting this out there for you as a great example and hopefully something to inspire you to get going.

I promise you that the actual time commitment is a whole lot of excuse and not a lot of substance when you really look at what is required of you. The vast majority of your hurdles will be food intake related and not "can I make time to train".

You need to create an energy deficit. You can still eat a pastry here and there if you're diligent about the rest of your diet and stay in a calorie deficit.

You should do some form of exercise, I'd recommend 4 days per week as a general starting point. You don't need to do 3 hours of it each day. 45 minutes goes a long way.

Ed's story is crazy inspiring! Wow! Thank you so much for sharing that!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Well said SideSteel!

It really is all about eating less than you burn. That works for 99.9% of people.

I would suggest NOT making drastic changes to your diet at first, like don't tell yourself you won't eat anymore pastries. Start off by merely reducing the amount of pastries you eat in a day.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Ed's story is crazy inspiring! Wow! Thank you so much for sharing that!

I appreciate your manners :)

You should thank Ed, he inspires me too. Linking a thread is easy, losing 311 lbs isn't.

:flowerforyou:
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

Great answer. And I checked out link.....so inspiring. I've seen him post on other threads, but I never knew his story.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Talk to a PT for sure, but if swimming is an option, that would be a great place to start, especially for your knees.