Do you have this problem?

Options
I am hearing from friend and even my 11 year old daughter that I am obsessed with losing weight. I get that everything that I talk about results to losing weight. For example, lets go out to eat....and I reply, oh no, I can't do that. I have my food planned out for today....or lets go hang out, and I respond....I can't right now, I have to go to the gym.... or, here is a good one, I'm always looking at the nutrition facts on something and then determine if I am going to eat it or not. This kind of hurt my feelings. When I was good and fat people suggested that I needed to do something. Now that I am DOING SOMETHING and having some success, I'm obsessed. WTH. Sorry I had to vent.

Replies

• thomlora
    thomlora Posts: 16
    Options
    It is a lifestyle that you are obtaining......they need to adapt or get over it!!!! You go girl!
  • Chantelle160
    Options
    I do the same thing. Let hang out, no sorry working out. Same with the eating out. If I have my meals planned I don't change them. I'm not obsessed just motivated and have great will power to get to my goal. i have a great support system at home and at work and most of my friend understand and will just workout with me instead. Keep up the great work obviously you are dedicated to changing your life and you should be proud of it. :)
  • aml0484
    aml0484 Posts: 425
    Options
    Yep I get that all the time. One person thought I didn't like hanging out with her anymore because I didn't want to go out and eat like we always used to. I also get the It must be nice having so much time to exercise and cook healthy meals from scratch instead of from a box. I just say I have my priorities and tv is no longer one of them.
  • aml0484
    aml0484 Posts: 425
    Options
    Yep I get that all the time. One person thought I didn't like hanging out with her anymore because I didn't want to go out and eat like we always used to. I also get the It must be nice having so much time to exercise and cook healthy meals from scratch instead of from a box. I just say I have my priorities and tv is no longer one of them.
  • tmwebb
    tmwebb Posts: 21
    Options
    I absolutely understand... before I eat anything, I look at the calories. Im either online or my Iphone. My husband and daughter say Im obsessed too. But that doesn't bother me, I know Im doing the right thing by me. And now I even catch my 17 year old daughter checking the nutririon information on what she eats. So don't let it hurt your feelings, you are doing an amazing job, Just think you've lost 22 pounds doing what your doing!!! That's great, keep up the good work.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    People are probably having a hard time adjusting to the changes you're making, because the healthier you has somewhat different interests and concerns than the not so healthy you. Hopefully they can get used to it and come to understand where you are coming from. Maybe you can get your daughter to understand better by showing her how to read nutrition labels involve her in meal planning and planning healthy active things for the two of you to do together, so she doesn't feel left out from the lifestyle changes you're making for yourself. The added bonus to that would be instilling these important values in her at a young age so they can become a part of who she is as well
  • vrealize
    vrealize Posts: 13
    Options
    Life is about choices. Whether those choices stem from preferences or are rooted from health concerns that require action, we still make choices every day. Perhaps at one point many of us made seemingly unconscious choices, what matters now is that we are trying to be aware and mindful of the choices presented to us from day to day. Consistency and dedication go hand-in-hand on our endeavor toward weight-loss and a healthier lifestyle. After all, that new lifestyle we are developing is also comprised of a set of life choices.

I find it empowering to feel like I have more control of my life on this front. (:
  • sazziecee
    sazziecee Posts: 143
    Options
    I have been told by a few people that all I ever talk about Facebook is food! My aunt is on there and even told my mum that all I talk about is diet and exercise

I am not particularly talking about the calories etc, but more that I am looking forward to eating "xyz" that night, as I have dinner as my largest meal with my hubby and I look forward to it. Or I will say that I am going for/just done a workout etc.

Or occasionally I will post that I am really craving Dominos pizza etc, but that is more so that my other FB who are dieting too can talk me out of it, lol!

But a few of us have set up our own group on FB now for motivation and we talk on there now instead so as not to bore everyone *sigh*
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    Fabiola is my name
    Envy well i was very envy kind of person and i was really into fullmetal alchemist (an anime show that i watched) for the person i am i was under lust or envy either one of them would of sound very catchy.. really funny thing is with that name i attracted a lot of people.. :o good and bad people. but for the most part they were more depress... :o which was weird cause i was the more high lifting person. when i thought of that.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I haven't had anyone tell my I am obessed yet, but I find myself always thinking about food, with regard to meal planning, and exercise. What I have come up with is that until I get used to all this eating right and REGULAR exercise it may seem obessesive. Eventually, all this will be my lifestyle and I won't have to think so hard on it all.

So, keep up doing what you are doing! You know for so many looking better is motivation/ inspiration for making the choices we are making and that is wonderful, but what we are trying to do is live a healthful life and you are getting healthier every day.

Be blessed and stay positive!
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    sounds like a great obsession to have!! Nothing wrong with planning your day out.
  • JaneanAriel
    JaneanAriel Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I can relate! A wonderful obesession to have!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I kind of get that feeling when I talk to some people or my boyfriend. I got really frustrated when we went out for his birthday because we had dinner plans and I had all my calories figured out for the day so I could accomodate and then his sister decided to take him out and the calories on EVERYTHING was so much higher and I had to change it and then I forgot my phone in the car later and he wouldn't let me go get it so I don't know how much I walked or burned that day or whether I was really under or if I went over... (it has a pedometer on it). Sometimes people don't understand your dedication and that this is so you can be HEALTHY and they just chalk it up to obsession.

It can be aggravating but just know that you are bettering yourself and what everyone else says doesn't matter. YOU feel good and YOU are doing something about your weight situation and only YOU can control that.
  • BADGIRLstl
    BADGIRLstl Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    People are probably having a hard time adjusting to the changes you're making, because the healthier you has somewhat different interests and concerns than the not so healthy you. Hopefully they can get used to it and come to understand where you are coming from. Maybe you can get your daughter to understand better by showing her how to read nutrition labels involve her in meal planning and planning healthy active things for the two of you to do together, so she doesn't feel left out from the lifestyle changes you're making for yourself. The added bonus to that would be instilling these important values in her at a young age so they can become a part of who she is as well
    Thank you for this....you brought about some good points in including my daughter in the new changes....