embarassing tummy question

Options
I've got a real elephants bottom of a belly, it's like the grossest thing ever! Will tummy exercises get rid of all the.. umm overhang, or will I need surgery?? If it's surgery I'm stuck coz I could never afford it and don't think the NHS would consider it a vital op :/

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Doing all the tummy exercises in the world wont make it go away... you just need to lose body fat every where. The best way to do this is with a moderate deficit (i prefer 20% less than tdee) and a workout regime that consist of weight training and some cardio (HIIT is even better). Also, i suggest 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats as it is helpful in allowing your body to get nutrients. Additionally, the most important thing is.... time. It may take months or even a year to get low enough body fat to get rid of the stomach. If all that doesn't work, then you have to look at your weight and lean body mass. If you lost a lot of lbm then you might have to bulk to add back some to fill in your skin.
  • Kaathmandu
    Options
    The younger you are, the more elastic and the better your skin resolves as you lose weight ... if your 'elephant' implies wrinkly saggy skin already, sad news is, it may improve but it's not going away.
    You may be able to make a case for therapeutic surgery if you have medical issues, such as rashes under the 'overhang'.
    (It's something I'm going to have to deal with in the next year, I think. Meantime, spanx is my friend.)
    Good luck :)
  • finding_sammi
    Options
    whats tdee please and 25% fat sounds like loads, I thought I should avoid fat?? Forgive me I'm a newbie! :))
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    whats tdee please and 25% fat sounds like loads, I thought I should avoid fat?? Forgive me I'm a newbie! :))

Fat doesn't make you fat. Excess calories make you fat.
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You need some fat in your diet.
    Wheat tends to make my belly look much bigger, I think I have a bit of a wheat intolerance. You might check into the book "Wheat Belly" or just do some research online about it.
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    If you are talking about the loose skin that is left over after losing weight. Toning core exercise will help. Sometimes Insurance companies will perform that surgery if you have an edema issue or if you have a rash that will not go away even with healing cream prescribed by a doctor.
  • ItsTheBeebs
    Options
    Like it was said before, the exercises wont help that much, yes your abdominals will be stronger, but it really means nothing if there is fat covering them and hiding them away.
    A good HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) programme will be great for torching fat, couple with some resistance training (as a female, testosterone levels will not be high enough for you to put on too much muscle mass)
    and then eating better is a given here.
    I tend to aim for around 55g fat total for the day, but i am very active for my job and workout 4 times a week so can get away with having more if i needed.
    Staple of my diet really is
    Chicken, Brown rice & broccoli.
    I love it, cant eat it every night but its one i can eat often :)

hope this info helps!
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    The first person who answered had it right. You need a balanced excercise regime, not only the crunches and sit-ups. If you want to focus on your tummy, you can, just make sure you do an equal amount of back and core excercises.

As for losing weight, it's 80% nutrition, 20% excercise. Fat is not necessarily your enemy - for those people just starting out, a calorie is a calorie - it doesn't matter if it's from fat or protein or carbs. But as you advance a bit on your journey, generally you'll get the best results with relatively high percentage of protein, medium/low carbs and low/medium fat.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I had the same question early on and wondered what the use was to bother losing the weight if I was still going to have an ugly tummy.

Your health is very important. Take off the weight reasonably and exercise to ensure that you are building muscles. Lifting weights helped me significantly reduce the "sag". Yes I'll always have a bit of an "elephant butt" on my gut, but it won't be as bad as it could have been. The sag on my arms and my breasts has gone. I am just fighting a few trouble areas.

Stick with it. You may be surprised what you can do with proper diet, lifting and moderate cardio.
    Good luck!!
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    It could be bloating. If its bloated "elephant" belly, then my suggestion is to drink more water. Perhaps cut down your sodium intake and eat more fresh fruits and veggies. Fresh fruits and veggies tend to have higher concentration of water in them.

Also as Becky said, you may want to eat some fat... but I'll be a little bit more specific. Try the unsaturated fats, such as those found in nuts, and olive oils, dark chocolate etc. They do tend to be high in calories, but they are the healthful fats. I always love the chance to add some natural peanut butter to my diet! ;) The hard part for me is keeping it to one serving~
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Losing weight slowly and in a healthy manner with lots of exercise will help reduce the excess skin. But some may never go away. I've lots 75 pounds and have a pouch that gets smaller every year but I don't think it will ever go away. As you say, financially, surgery isn't an option. But it does get smaller each year with exercise and sticking to a healthy lifestyle. So, the answer is mostly no - it won't go away completely away, depending on how much you have to lose.
  • skinnykatie99
    skinnykatie99 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I hope this doesn't sound too harsh. My advice, based on many years of similar struggles, is this: Eat right, exercise reasonably - however is sustainable and most pleasant for your personality and your life - and get yourself to as healthy a weight as possible. Other than that -- don't worry about your body shape because you can't change it, it doesn't matter, and it's boring. If this is hard, rest assured it does get easier as you get older. Do some volunteer work if you need some help focusing on what's really important in the world. I wish you luck and health and peace.
  • ItsTheBeebs
    Options
    I hope this doesn't sound too harsh. My advice, based on many years of similar struggles, is this: Eat right, exercise reasonably - however is sustainable and most pleasant for your personality and your life - and get yourself to as healthy a weight as possible. Other than that -- don't worry about your body shape because you can't change it, it doesn't matter, and it's boring. If this is hard, rest assured it does get easier as you get older. Do some volunteer work if you need some help focusing on what's really important in the world. I wish you luck and health and peace.

agreed, however you can change your body shape, around 2 years ago i was an Ectomorph (very skinny, low muscle mass) and now after some hard work, fell off track for about 6 months then im back in it now, i have achieved moving into the Meso/Ecto bracket (More muscle mass, wider shoulders, more athletic appearance) so it is possible to change, just depends on how much you want it and how high you get your metabolism to work at.

"If you want something bad enough you will find a way, if not you will find an excuse"
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Agree with much of what has been said. Eat a balanced diet with a sufficient amount of each macronutrient, engage in moderate cardio and focus on strength training, and make sure you have a modest calorie deficit. Then be patient as it takes time. If you work through this website you will find quite a few people who have lost lots of weight and are now incredibly fit with toned stomachs.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Tdee is total daily energy expended or the total number of calorie a person will burn throughout the day. Essentially, the amount of calories you burn through your metabolism, daily life and exercise. Post your height weight age job/lifestyle and exercise routine and i can run some numbers.
  • finding_sammi
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice, you've given me lots to think about...

@psulemon I'm 43, 5' 7 and cw= 229 (that 80lbs+ to shift) and my day is lightly active I guess (days spent doing household chores, carrying groceries etc and for my workouts, 30-40 mins cardio at least 4x a week and just started using fixed weights at the gym. As I said I'm a newbie and that's the extent of my fitness level at the mo :)
  • Nana920
    Nana920 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Good information here.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I would suggest setting your calories to 2000, macros to 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. You can do all that under a custom setting under home and goals. I would also suggest looking at a weight program like strong lift 5x5 to start a good weight training routine. If you do SL and some minor cardio you should see good results and more fat loss than with basic diet and cardio. A program like that will also help you maintain lbm. If after a month you dont see a good trend hit me up on pm. And we can adjust.
  • finding_sammi
    Options
    I would suggest setting your calories to 2000, macros to 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. You can do all that under a custom setting under home and goals. I would also suggest looking at a weight program like strong lift 5x5 to start a good weight training routine. If you do SL and some minor cardio you should see good results and more fat loss than with basic diet and cardio. A program like that will also help you maintain lbm. If after a month you dont see a good trend hit me up on pm. And we can adjust.

thanks will give it a go!
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I had that! It was still there a month ago and now it's almost completely gone. Thank you 30DS for my new flat tummy.