Birthday cake or no Birthday cake.

Options
My birthday is in 3 weeks and my daughter is for certain going to bake me a cake, I want to say no don't bake me a cake this year, but baking cakes on b-days is kind of our thing, and I absolutely love cake. :love: I just don't want to have a tempting cake sitting in the house for me to eat at my leisure, I have will power but I'm not that good. We will also be more than likey going out to dinner that day, but I will request the restaurant Chow Baby where I can choose my own ingredients. I just don't know what to do about this cake. Any suggestions.

Replies

• alisaperry74
    Options
    Just budget your calories/fat for the day and make sure you allow for a piece of cake. Or burn a couple hundred extra calories that day. No reason to have to miss out on your birthday cake! Enjoy :smile:
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Eat one piece; the rest you can give to friends or relatives at your birthday party to take home, you can take it to work, or you can cut it into portion sizes and freeze it if it's a cake that freezes well. Enjoy your birthday (and cake!) :flowerforyou:
  • BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you are a chocolate or peanut butter fan, but I made a devils food boxed cake but used 12 oz water instead of the eggs and oil. Then topped it with fat free coolwhip mixed with 2 tbls of peanut butter. Very tasty and only 207 cals (depending on the boxed cake and pb you use)for a huge piece!
  • ♥dawnwestbury♥
    Options
    well if you WANT the cake have it!! you dont have to have a GIANT peice, a small peice will allow you to have it and still stay in your calorie range if you plan your day that way!! (you can have your cake and eat it too....sorry had to haha)
  • laurabelle25
    Options
    First of all, i'm right there w/ you. My b-day is about 2 weeks away and i know i'm going to have tons of snacks here at work. BUT, i have the best recipe for a cake substitute, it's actually cupcakes! It's from the hungry-girl website. You could tell your daughter to bake you this:

I box of reduced sugar/reduced fat cake/brownie mix (i've used Pillsbury the most, the brownie mix is the best!)
    1 can pumpkin

Mix together. Batter will be really thick, dont add any water or anything to it.

Spoon into 12 cupcake holders (make sure the cupcake wrappers are in there)

Bake @ 400 for about 20 min. It varies a little, so i just stick a toothpick in the middle of a cupcake to make sure its done.

Take cupcakes out of pan and let them cool. Now here's the secret: Don't eat them right away, they will taste a little rubbery. Put them in an airtight container and let them sit for a day. By the next day, you will have the most delicious cupcakes you've ever had, and calories will range from 120 to 200 per cupcake (depending on the mix)!

Now you have your cake and eat it too! (sorry couldn't help but put that :laugh: )
    Laura
  • redbudwhite
    Options
    Have 1 piece and give away the rest. Have a GREAT BIRTHDAY!!:smile:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    My birthday is also in 3 weeks (4.12) and am debating cake or no cake! I LOVE ice cream cake... so I may request it and only have one piece. BUT my mom is also making me manicotti ... oie. I say go with the cake!! It's not everyday you get birthday cake - and it's YOUR birthday.
  • karlowe
    karlowe Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    cake mix and a diet soda makes a really good cupcake.
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    Have her do the weight watcher cake........1 cake mix and one can of diet cola. bake at temp on the box and dust with powdered sugar or sugar free cool whip. One piece is like 70 calories - plus the 20 or so for the cool whip.
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    My birthday is in 3 weeks and my daughter is for certain going to bake me a cake, I want to say no don't bake me a cake this year, but baking cakes on b-days is kind of our thing, and I absolutely love cake. :love: I just don't want to have a tempting cake sitting in the house for me to eat at my leisure, I have will power but I'm not that good. We will also be more than likey going out to dinner that day, but I will request the restaurant Chow Baby where I can choose my own ingredients. I just don't know what to do about this cake. Any suggestions.

I'd say eat the cake, and enjoy it! It's your birthday! Eat a piece and have someone else in the family bring any leftovers home. That way you don't have to look at it for the next week...

Hope you have a great day!!!
  • jessw86
    jessw86 Posts: 29
    Options
    I agree that cupcakes are a great idea... already set proportions and it makes it a lil easier to tell yourself no to eating more than you should. If you go with cake devils food cake is one of the best out there if you limit yourself. Maybe try reducing the amount of icing you use as well, whatever you would normally use maybe cut it in half.
    Doing a lil extra work out or limiting your calories before the big dinner is probably a good thing to do as well, that way you have enough calories left. But I do think you should definitely enjoy a treat, especially on your special day! Just don't go too crazy. Happy Birthday!
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    My birthday is in mid-April and Ive already planned the menu with my family and it will include Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. I am planning on having a piece of it because it is my birthday :) I think part of changing my lifestyle is also changing how I see food and my relationship with it.

I know I can have that piece of cake on my birthday, enjoy it and not feel guilty about it because Ive planned for it and Ive planned a healthy menu.

Enjoy the cake! Your birthday only comes once a year :smile:
  • my2boystx
    my2boystx Posts: 28
    Options
    For Birthdays now we will make the no pudge fudge brownies. They are so yummy!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    So am I the only one who thinks cake is over-rated? A big light bulb moment for me was when I realized that a lot of stuff I had been conditioned to think of as treats wasn't really that much of a treat for me. That doesn't mean I don't like any junk food, but I no longer eat stuff that society tells me is yummy unless my tummy agrees.
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Totally have a piece of cake!!! :) You can have a small piece or even a larger piece. Just plan the rest of your week to accommodate the cake calories. Eat a little less and exercise a little more 2 days before and 2 days after your birthday and you can have your birthday meal and dessert guilt free. :-D

That's what I used to do when I was losing weight (I'm pregnant now....can't really diet much) and it really worked! I think that if you deprive yourself of something that you love/ a tradition with your daughter, you'll end up really frustrated. Just my opinion...hope you have a great birthday!!
  • Sweetie_Pie92
    Sweetie_Pie92 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It's your birthday! Have a small slice of cake, maybe work out that morning to gain some exercise calories? Budget your other calories so you'll have plenty for a bit of cake and dinner.
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    I agree have one piece and give away the rest. see if she can make you something with a little less calories then the usual cake. (some of the ones suggested sound yummy)
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    If your daughter wants to make a cake for you , then by all means celebrate your birthday with the cake. You can have a small piece and not eat it all.