Outdoor running...

Options
I used to jog outside almost everyday a couple years ago and I want to get back into it. I am terrified of falling while running on a treadmill, so i want to start running outside. I was wondering if i will look stupid running in 30-40 degree weather?? Up until what month do you run? I don't want to look like a complete fool. Lol.

Replies

• JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Who cares what you look like? You're doing it for you. People run in all kinds of crazy weather 30-40 is not too cold.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I run outdoors all year 'round, the only thing guaranteed to keep me indoors is freezing rain.

If you dress properly (think layers, and being a little chilly at the start of your run) you can enjoy pretty much anything Mother Nature wants to throw at you. With the shorter hours of daylight in the winter months think in terms of hi-visibility when picking your running gear and consider (if you'll be running early in the morning or after sunset) investing in a LED headlamp to light up your run and make you more visible to motorists.
  • weliveaswedream
    weliveaswedream Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not going to look a fool. People run in colder climates than 30-40. Just do your research on how to layer properly for running in cold weather so you don't get too hot during your run.
  • joyosplash
    Options
    I second all these opinions, outdoor running is a year round sport! Only ice keeps me inside, and layers are key!
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I run outdoors, and go running at 6am before work. Last week it was between -3 and zero degrees centigrade on the days that I ran. That is between 26 and 32 degrees fahrenheit.

I don't think anyone thought I looked silly. To be honest I was too busy trying to keep going and keep warm to care!

I wear lots of layers so that I can strip them off if I get too warm, along with a hat and gloves.
  • murphey05
    Options
    @karenjean91 I am so glad you asked that question. I was wondering the exact same thing. Now I now! Thanks for the info everyone!
  • George1567
    Options
    I just bought my first pair of running tights for the winter months. Pretty sure I got the "look stupid" award in hand. Get out there, have fun, and be safe!!!!
  • xgg2rs
    xgg2rs Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've ran in 5 degree weather before. After the weight I've lost, I could care less if people think I look silly doing so. As others said, it's just important to dress appropriately. Good luck :)
  • slavenberg
    slavenberg Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Go for it. In addition to layers, depending on the time of day you are running, pick a bright color so the cars can see you (I wear yellow) and wear a reflective vest. You are doing this for you and for no one else. when I do my long runs on sunday it is basically my time for me - then i get back to the rat race.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Are you running for us or for yourself? If you want to run in the cold, and can safely do so, go run.

And who lives in fear of falling of treadmills. I feel that we need to address this.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    treadmillaphobia?
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I have a bright pink flourescent running gilet. Believe me, this makes me look even more daft than my running tights do. But with my thermal running hat pulled down low and in the semi darkness nobody knows who I am anyway :laugh:
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    30s and 40s is great running weather!! I run all winter. Even bought some yaktrax to put on my shoes if it is icy and snowy. If it is really windy, then it can get a little nippy. You should be cold to start out, you will quickly warm up. I usually wear running compression tights (they just make my legs feel good), a long sleeve shirt, a fleece vest or jacket (depending on the coldness and the wind), and light gloves, which I always end up taking off because my hands get really hot. I also usually wear a headband or a knit hat to cover my ears. Sometimes if you dress too warm, you actually get colder on a long run, because the sweat on your clothes gets really cold. High 40s and definitely 50s I would probably not even wear long sleeves.

When I first started running last winter, I would wear something over my mouth and nose too, because breathing the cold air bothered me. I will use that when it gets in the teens and 20s.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Just do it!! I'd run in below zero weather if it didn't hurt to breathe! In colder weather, I have tech clothes that are fleece lined and wind proof. Knit hat and knit gloves. One of my tech shirts has thumb holes so they cover my wrists better. Otherwise, it's knit pants and a long sleeve shirt. But it's 60 degrees in Chicago today so it's back to short sleeves and capris for today :-)
  • tubaman58
    Options
    You will look great..... at 30 40 degrees the additional clothing needed is minimal and you will feel great...

I would much rather run when it is 40 than when it is 80:smile:
  • RumRum85
    RumRum85 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The people that don't use to run periodically and consistently ALWAYS (well... most of times) think that runners looks like fool, including some people inside gyms, so you shouldn't care about that.

Pick smarty your clothes for even the cold of 30 / 40 ºF or the intense heat of 30/40 ºC and go to show off!! :D

Oh yeah I almost forgot... I run all the year (winter here is around 0/5ºC and summer between 30/35ºC) the only things that make me not going to train are the unscheduled overtime at work and heavy rains.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Lat year my most memorable run was early morning before the sun cane up, windy, heavy rain, about 35 degrees. So, don't worry about it.
  • Iberipped
    Options
    Run outside no one will judge, seriously.

By the way, you won't fall off the treadmill lol...
    I don't see how one can, unless they're going extremely fast at a pace where they can't handle.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I've just signed up for a February half marathon for the third year in a row. All my training was outside last year. Like Brian said, only thing keeping me in is freezing rain.
    I just bought my first pair of running tights for the winter months. Pretty sure I got the "look stupid" award in hand. Get out there, have fun, and be safe!!!!

Yup. Lol. I broke down last year and bought a pair. As self conscious as I felt they are worth it.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I ran last night and it was 35 degrees outside. The weather felt perfect and it was one of the best runs I've ever had. I was wearing my Asics Myles II tights, Nike Pro Combat Hyperwarm Fitted 1.2 with Mock Turtleneck, tech fabric headband that covered my ears from my local running shop and some Mizuno running gloves, also from the local running shop. I was the most comfortable I've ever been on a run! I ran an effortless 5.21 miles in the dark. It's important to have the right clothing.