Eat what you want

Interesting read.
http://www.fatnutritionist.com/index.php/eat-food-stuff-you-like-as-much-as-you-want/
I was reading a post form a year ago in which the original poster had stalled at weight loss a couple of weeks and was panicking like so many people do when that happens. Anyway the advice she was getting was all about how she ate too much processed food, or too much sodium or not enough protein and no one mentioned calories at all.
Coming from the camp of "I'm going to eat what I want as long as I am under calories and get my protein" and KNOWING that it works, I was doing some reading on nutrition and came across this article.
One part in particular that I liked was when the author says "Twinkies aren't BAD, and even if they were they wouldn't make you BAD by association. lol
I have seen people on here bash everything from carbs to cheese. Maybe you will find the above article an interesting read.

Replies

• Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    I heard there was cake here.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Good post. Far too many people obsess over the minor details when they don't even have the major details in order yet.
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    bump for later
  • bump
  • A refreshingly sensible post.

It all comes down to the numbers.
  • bump
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    I heard there was cake here.

Mmmm...cake...and...Twinkies
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,733 Member
    i could murder a box of Butterscotch Krimpets right now. just sayin'.

6809193813_4e52193189.jpg
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member

:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • Interesting read.
    http://www.fatnutritionist.com/index.php/eat-food-stuff-you-like-as-much-as-you-want/
    I was reading a post form a year ago in which the original poster had stalled at weight loss a couple of weeks and was panicking like so many people do when that happens. Anyway the advice she was getting was all about how she ate too much processed food, or too much sodium or not enough protein and no one mentioned calories at all.
    Coming from the camp of "I'm going to eat what I want as long as I am under calories and get my protein" and KNOWING that it works, I was doing some reading on nutrition and came across this article.
    One part in particular that I liked was when the author says "Twinkies aren't BAD, and even if they were they wouldn't make you BAD by association. lol
    I have seen people on here bash everything from carbs to cheese. Maybe you will find the above article an interesting read.

I was sort of questioning myself today. I've been under my calorie goal everyday now. I've also gotten better about picking lowfat and low sodium things. (This is what I think I should do to help my kidney and heart issues.) Is that what you would recommend doing for awhile? I actually find myself eating MORE just so I don't eat too little calories each day - Since I'm choosing healthier things that I LIKE. I'm not really following so much as what people say what is or isn't good for me. (In fact some of the posts on here are silly to me but I'd rather not fight with other people.) I've lost weight doing this before. (About 20lbs.) I know if I want to eat something, I have to work for it. I don't think I should listen to everything everyone says because if I did I'd be unhappy. I know that while cholesterol and sodium won't stall my weight loss, it will stall me becoming healthier. To me Skinny doesn't = healthy all of the time. I knew this when I did Aerobics class and I outdid all of the girls 1/3rd of my size. I know that I had misconceptions on how to become healthier when I first started. I think I've gotten better, and I'm happy with it. I think that stress just makes it harder, honestly. It scares me that I might burn too many calories though, would it be bad to burn 500 extra everyday instead of the 200 I've been doing?
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Interesting read.

I was sort of questioning myself today. I've been under my calorie goal everyday now. I've also gotten better about picking lowfat and low sodium things. (This is what I think I should do to help my kidney and heart issues.) Is that what you would recommend doing for awhile? I actually find myself eating MORE just so I don't eat too little calories each day - Since I'm choosing healthier things that I LIKE. I'm not really following so much as what people say what is or isn't good for me. (In fact some of the posts on here are silly to me but I'd rather not fight with other people.) I've lost weight doing this before. (About 20lbs.) I know if I want to eat something, I have to work for it. I don't think I should listen to everything everyone says because if I did I'd be unhappy. I know that while cholesterol and sodium won't stall my weight loss, it will stall me becoming healthier. To me Skinny doesn't = healthy all of the time. I knew this when I did Aerobics class and I outdid all of the girls 1/3rd of my size. I know that I had misconceptions on how to become healthier when I first started. I think I've gotten better, and I'm happy with it. I think that stress just makes it harder, honestly. It scares me that I might burn too many calories though, would it be bad to burn 500 extra everyday instead of the 200 I've been doing?
    The main thing is don't be scared to discover what works for you and your body. Ultimately calories in < calories out = weight loss, but one person may FEEL better eating more carbs than someone else, etc. Thats why I never give macro advice. I can tell you what works for me is to make sure I hit my protein macro. I personally won't eat below my RMR either. Can you do that and lose weight? Yep. IS it good for you? Not long term. Eventually you will have to change it.

As far as picking lowfat and low sodium items, thats similar to what I do. One step at a time. I try to be conscientious of choosing things like wheat bread over white. That doesn't mean I won't eat white bread. I have cut my soda intake WAY down. But I will still have a soda occasionally. So I am making overall better choices, but not really depriving myself totally of anything. I don't want to live a life where I feel like I can't eat anything I want or where I feel like I am starving all the time.
    Take a look at my diary. I eat a lot of so called "junk". But I have still lost 11% body fat (29 pounds of fat) and gained 10 pounds of lean body mass in the past three months. And I all I worry about is hitting my protein macro and staying under my calories (most of the time).
    I don't know if this answers your questions or not, but I hope so.
  • Lmezz11
    Lmezz11 Posts: 619 Member
    Good read. Thanks for sharing! "you must be ready to lose weight" makes a lot of sense after reading that.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,722 Member

my husband eats one of those every night lol
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member

my husband eats one of those every night lol

A whole package?!?!? lol
  • Interesting read.

The main thing is don't be scared to discover what works for you and your body. Ultimately calories in < calories out = weight loss, but one person may FEEL better eating more carbs than someone else, etc. Thats why I never give macro advice. I can tell you what works for me is to make sure I hit my protein macro. I personally won't eat below my RMR either. Can you do that and lose weight? Yep. IS it good for you? Not long term. Eventually you will have to change it.

As far as picking lowfat and low sodium items, thats similar to what I do. One step at a time. I try to be conscientious of choosing things like wheat bread over white. That doesn't mean I won't eat white bread. I have cut my soda intake WAY down. But I will still have a soda occasionally. So I am making overall better choices, but not really depriving myself totally of anything. I don't want to live a life where I feel like I can't eat anything I want or where I feel like I am starving all the time.
    Take a look at my diary. I eat a lot of so called "junk". But I have still lost 11% body fat (29 pounds of fat) and gained 10 pounds of lean body mass in the past three months. And I all I worry about is hitting my protein macro and staying under my calories (most of the time).
    I don't know if this answers your questions or not, but I hope so.

It does, thank you! :D
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Thank you for that. Reading the comments was interesting, as well. I eat what I like, and try to find a place for more veggies and fruits within that construct. But there is so much emphasis by so many in this community on eating so-called "clean" that I don't leave my diary open. I'm amazed at how successful I have been so far eating what I like and doing exercise that makes me happy at the end of the day. It makes me wonder when people say they're so proud of me, blah blah blah. Why? Because I'm perfectly capable of eating normally and being active? Why shouldn't I be able to do that? It is all the shaming, blaming, and being told it was hard that got me to the point where I was disabled by my weight. It is shameless, blameless, thoughtful living that is reversing that.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Thank you for that. Reading the comments was interesting, as well. I eat what I like, and try to find a place for more veggies and fruits within that construct. But there is so much emphasis by so many in this community on eating so-called "clean" that I don't leave my diary open. I'm amazed at how successful I have been so far eating what I like and doing exercise that makes me happy at the end of the day. It makes me wonder when people say they're so proud of me, blah blah blah. Why? Because I'm perfectly capable of eating normally and being active? Why shouldn't I be able to do that? It is all the shaming, blaming, and being told it was hard that got me to the point where I was disabled by my weight. It is shameless, blameless, thoughtful living that is reversing that.
    Well said. And I thumb my nose at anyone who doesn't like my diary. lol
  • transvenouspacer
    transvenouspacer Posts: 182 Member
    Completely agree! Thanks for posting.

It drives me crazy when I see someone freaking out because they ate a cookie or something labeled "bad". So what??!! If it fits in your calorie limit, by all means eat it!!

Also agree that you need to find out what works for you and your body. Everyone is different. Just gotta experiment and see what works for you.

I eat a lot of things considered junk as well. Oh well guess I must have just imagined losing that 29 pounds..:bigsmile:
  • transvenouspacer
    transvenouspacer Posts: 182 Member

I've never heard of these things but it looks delicious! Please send me one thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    I eat what I like and make it fit in my calorie goals. I have to eat like this for the rest of my life so I had better like what I'm doing.

Also I've never heard of those Krimpet things, but they look amazing!