Do 10-minute workouts really work?

Options
Do they actually work?

I've found some on Youtube earlier :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-VH0aTOOik
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM4DQ-0Vjnk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i85WUbYQSbI

and I thought they looked good but then I was like "It's ONLY 10 minutes, would it have much effect?"
I wanna do 1 each day so it would only be 70 minutes over a week, and that definitely doesn't seem enough.

So I was wondering if any of you people have some good experiences (or bad) with videos like these, I'd really like to hear your guys' opinion!

Replies

• mkanak
    mkanak Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Only in the morning with no breakfast where your body will immediately look for fat to burn as your glycogen levels will be very low.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    It is def a good jumping off point to get you more active and alot of the time once you do those 10 min you start feeling great and end up going for another 20 and get in a good 30 min workout. Anything is better then nothing!!!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    work? work for what? What are your goals? I'm seen some under 12-20 minute stuff that's very effective but it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish
  • xSilke
    xSilke Posts: 31
    Options
    Only in the morning with no breakfast where your body will immediately look for fat to burn as your glycogen levels will be very low.
    I see, I never thought about that!
    It is def a good jumping off point to get you more active and alot of the time once you do those 10 min you start feeling great and end up going for another 20 and get in a good 30 min workout. Anything is better then nothing!!!
    Yeah you're right!
    work? work for what? What are your goals? I'm seen some under 12-20 minute stuff that's very effective but it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish
    I kept it general cause I thought there might be more people wondering this, but with a different goal then mine. My goal is losing/burning unnecessary fat and getting more fit & slim in general.
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    10-minute workout is better than nothing, particularly if currently you don't exercise. You can easily build up to do three 10-minute workouts per day or more, if you have the time. You gotta start somewhere and build from there. Good luck.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    10-minute workout is better than nothing, particularly if currently you don't exercise. You can easily build up to do three 10-minute workouts per day or more, if you have the time. You gotta start somewhere and build from there. Good luck.

I agree with this. ten minute workouts can be a great way to add more movement and activity into your life. Most people that do ten minute workouts use them to break up their activity, so they can do a few through out the day. Or as something extra to add into the rest of their exercise for the day because it's something fun they like to do and to add variety of options. If you get tired or bored easily, it can be a way to keep your energy and focus as you work on improvement, so that you give it your all each time you do a ten minute workout. Also people that do HIIT or interval training will keep it to around 10 minutes because of the high intensity and need for recovery. Ten minute workouts can serve various purposes depending on what the work out is. And it's certainly better than just sitting around.
  • AdamBellfpt
    AdamBellfpt Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    10 min workouts are great! And can really work but it all depends on your goals. I have some of my clients doing 3-6 10 min workouts a day instead of one long one and they've been doing really really well! Obviously they have limited use if you are training for a marathon but I think that they have great potential!

Some of my clients who are complete beginners only do 1-2 x 10 min workouts! But as far as I am concerned its great because I can build them up and at least they're doing something!
  • mmancini73
    Options
    It's funny you started this post...I was just watching Tony Horton on the Dr. Oz show yesterday (on YouTube) promoting his ten minute workout. I was thinking of trying it...I love his AB ripper workout, and would like to try this one too.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

I respectfully disagree - they will be lower - not very low. We have around 1500 cal worth of glycogen in storage... I often ran aerobic (60-65% max HR) for an hour without eating for 12 hrs and do well. Exercising aerobic after fasting will convert your fat into carbs ...
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is a great way to start getting active. At one point in my life when I was really busy I did about 10 minutes of yoga (sun salutations) first thing in the morning and it kept me fit. Of course reaching any specific goal (like weight loss and/or muscle gain) will be dependent on your calorie intake, amount of exercise, and the kind of exercise you do. But yes, yes, yes, some exercise is better than no exercise. And if you do it consistently you will find even this short amount of time (even if it doesn't evolve into something longer/more strenuous) will provide you a way to adopt a daily exercise habit that you can stick with.
  • xSilke
    xSilke Posts: 31
    Options

I respectfully disagree - they will be lower - not very low. We have around 1500 cal worth of glycogen in storage... I often ran aerobic (60-65% max HR) for an hour without eating for 12 hrs and do well. Exercising aerobic after fasting will convert your fat into carbs ...

When do you think I should exercise? Whenever that is convenient or...? :)

Thanks for all the replies you guys!
  • bandsofblue
    bandsofblue Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I average around a 15-20 minute workout almost every day (I skip one or 2 days periodically) and it's worked perfectly well for me. I've lost 30 pounds doing the 15 minute workouts and I've manage to keep the weight off as well. I usually exercise midday but it really just works with whatever is convenient. I think the key is to focus on such short different exercises everyday that your body doesn't have time to adjust because you're always switching or the workout is over so quickly.

i'd definitely try it if you're strapped for time.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    It's better than doing nothing
  • calisunrise
    Options
    10 minutes is always better than nothing! If you want it to be a proper workout and feel strong enough, you can repeat them 5 times for a full workout. That's what I do and it definitely works!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    10 minutes is better than nothing.

and as you get in the habit you might find yourself going longer especially as you get fitter. everyone has to start somewhere, just think where you will be next yer if you let 10 minutes be your starting point :wink:
  • robin820
    robin820 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

I agree with this, a workout is better then no work out and you have to start somewhere, right? Good luck!
  • samlankford
    Options
    know people that have them, they like them, have seen results... Nutrition plays a BIG part in it as well... can't eat crappy food, workout and expect to see amazing results... Just exercise, eat right , drink lots of water, get decent sleep and have fun!! I agree with everyone else, it is better then doing nothing at all... if you like the 10 min trainer then try the next one, think it is power 90 or his one on one dvds... I did p90x2, love that one... and they never get easier, you get better and push harder each time :bigsmile:
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    10 minutes is better than nothing.

and as you get in the habit you might find yourself going longer especially as you get fitter. everyone has to start somewhere, just think where you will be next yer if you let 10 minutes be your starting point :wink:

yup.....
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options

I think you're responding to snark.

OP, I think 10-minute workouts are a good start if you're not used to exercising. If I have a day where I'm stuck at the computer all day and start getting stiff from sitting, I'll do a brief 5 or 10-minute workout to get the blood flowing and chase that stiffness away. These don't replace my regular exercise program but augment it instead. I also find it good to do on rest days when I need to do something but the weather is too crappy for a walk.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It's better than nothing, but as others have said, it depends on your goals. If you have a significant amount of weight to lose, or a fitness goal, you'll have to do more. But even 10 minutes keeps you in the mindset that activity is important.