Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Making good choices and not 'grazing'

It's been so interesting to me to see that regardless of the choices I make, good or bad, I usually stay within my calorie requirement for the day. But, it is so clear that when I choose low-sugar, high-protien foods I loose so much more easily. What is also interesting is that even though I know that the 'right' choices are more productive, they are still SO hard for me to make. Why is letting go of sugar so hard for me? Also, why is NOT SNACKING or grazing as I like to call it so difficult for me? Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• portwein
    portwein Posts: 29 Member
    Yes, for some of us cutting back on sugars and not grazing is a big deal. With me, when I cut back on my carbs, my blood sugar drops and I feel it during the day. I noticed taking a multi-vitamin and increasing protein helps, but that's just me. Everyone is a little bit different.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Protein does provide advantages for weight loss, so that is not your imagination. The 'grazing' thing is probably the result of insulin resistance and generally poor metabolic health. Do a couple weeks of 'paleo' (or low-carb diet of your choice) and that should go away. Personally I prefer intemittent fasting, but if you're insulin resistant and in poor metabolic health you need to make sure you take a good load of anti-oxidants to offset the oxidative stress this will cause as your body adapts. 500mg acetyl l-carnitine+300 mg alpha lipoic acid twice a day plus 600mg n-acetyl cysteine once a day should be more than adequate.

Just my 2c.
  • portwein
    portwein Posts: 29 Member
    Protein does provide advantages for weight loss, so that is not your imagination. The 'grazing' thing is probably the result of insulin resistance and generally poor metabolic health. Do a couple weeks of 'paleo' (or low-carb diet of your choice) and that should go away. Personally I prefer intemittent fasting, but if you're insulin resistant and in poor metabolic health you need to make sure you take a good load of anti-oxidants to offset the oxidative stress this will cause as your body adapts. 500mg acetyl l-carnitine+300 mg alpha lipoic acid twice a day plus 600mg n-acetyl cysteine once a day should be more than adequate.

Just my 2c.

Thanks. I'll look into the antioxidants.
  • craigineson
    craigineson Posts: 88 Member

Just my 2c.

I like this guy. He says things I wholeheartedly agree with!

High protein foods, as well as high fat foods, are very satiating so you require less of them to feel more full.

Protein has the added benefit of having a high "thermic effect" - what that means is that we count protein as having four calories, but in reality the body only had about 3.2 calories of that available for use. It's why filling up on protein is a good idea, due to the TEF and its satiating effect.

As for the anti-oxidants, I would also recommend eating more oily fish for the omega-3 (to fight inflammation) and perhaps incorporating more salad leaf, cruciferous vegetables, and berries (such as blueberries).