Is something wrong with my eyes or is it Body Dysmorphia?

Options
Hello to everyone who reads this...
I think I really need help.
I'm not trying to fish for compliments at all here. I really need some help to help me see myself in a better, perhaps more realistic way :ohwell: , as it's now gotten to the point, i feel like crying from my own frustration at not being able to see the changes everyone's commenting on

I've noticed lately that despite dropping about 8-9.5 kilos (approximately 21 pounds), and getting feedback from some people that I looks slimmer, I'm having trouble seeing it for myself.

Sure, i take pics of myself, i can feel my jeans are a lot baggier all around. And today, I bought a size 8 (USA size 4) light jacket, that I know I never would have been able to fit into this time last year.... but I don't feel "slim" nor do I see myself as "slim"

I look in the mirror and I don't appear to see what people see. Though I do feel healthy, and I know I am fit, as I'm so active, when i touch my belly, I only feel flab. When I look in the mirror I see chubby rolls...

How can i change my perception of myself, so that I may begin to see myself in a different light?

:frown:

PS: Could someone help me upload a pic on here please, in case my attempt doesnt work? :frown:

Here's a pic I hope it works: Im wearing the dress

Replies

• mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Sorry, can't help much, but I can assure you that you are not alone. I've lost, like, 35 pounds since May and I can't see it, either. Yes, the clothes fit better (well, actually, I've had to buy smaller clothes as my other stuff was almost falling off), so you think that would just scream "look at what you accomplished!". It is frustrating when it doesn't. I guess we have to use our intellect here rather than our eyes.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    It takes a while for the mind to catch up with the body. I didn't really 'see' my weight loss until I had lost over 40 pounds.

how to post pics:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/104076-posting-pictures-on-the-boards-tutorial
  • pland54
    pland54 Posts: 132
    Options
    Hello,

I can't see any pics other than your profile picture, which is beautiful...

What you are experiencing sounds pretty normal, but are you feeling depressed or down about this on a regular basis, or is it just that when you look for improvement, you don't see it? It's possible that you are dealing with BDD, but what is a lot more likely is that it's depression, or even SAD (it's more common in the winter). If it persists, talk to someone about it. I've dealt with depression for years, and it can really really take a toll on your health.

As for others' compliments, think about it this way: your friends are likely seeing real improvement in you physically as well as the effort you've put in to losing weight, and they love that about you. Diet and exercise is hard to do, and they people admire you for doing it. So, you look beautiful on the inside and the outside. You don't have to be a size 0 for them to see that.

Keep up the good work, and don't worry about 'fishing for compliments'. We all need it...beauty and self-esteem are social things.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Until last week I still looked in the mirror and saw that 170lb woman but in the last couple of days I see a slender newer me. This, I think, is because it has come off slowly and steadily. As a previous poster said it takes a while before the brain and eyes catch up with each other. Going out and buying a whole new wardrobe may help.
  • TrinityTrinityTrinity
    Options
    my sister had bariatric weight loss surgery and she didn't see her weight loss until she was in a size 6...her previous size was a 26. Since she lost 200 lbs, she still saw flab and skin.

It's really hard to lose the excess skin, but it's not fat. Perhaps it is body dysmorphia because a size 4 US is small, IMO. Have you done exercises to tone up? I wouldn't "diet" anymore, forcing yourself to lose weight based on calories, but I'd try to do some muscle building and toning exercises.

Since you seem aware that your perception is off, maybe you could benefit from counseling. If you feel that counseling isn't working, then quit.

Good luck!
  • SA_80_2012
    SA_80_2012 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sorry, can't help much, but I can assure you that you are not alone. I've lost, like, 35 pounds since May and I can't see it, either. Yes, the clothes fit better (well, actually, I've had to buy smaller clothes as my other stuff was almost falling off), so you think that would just scream "look at what you accomplished!". It is frustrating when it doesn't. I guess we have to use our intellect here rather than our eyes.

Thank you, and yes, you're totally right... I have to use more than just my eyesight xox
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    The only way I can see my weight loss is to look at progress pictures. It's hard to see it when you see yourself all the time.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I'm weird too. I think I'm a similar size to you and have lost a similar amount. But I also don't "feel" it or see it in the mirror. But in video or pictures- I'm surprised. I think I look much better in photos or on Skype than I do in real life. Very weird.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I have a slight case of body dysmorphia. When i was 220 lbs, I saw myself much smaller than what i actually was. I'd see photos and thing there is no way in hell that is me. Now that I have lost a significant amount of weight, I look in the mirror and see myself as the same size I was when i was 220 lbs. (i've gone from wearing size 18 US pants to size 10 US pants) I believe it is because i never saw myself as big and the size i am now has always been how i have viewed myself.

Your best bet is to focus on more than just a scale at this point. Take body weight measurements and photos and look at the two. I have begun to accept my much smaller and healthier size before I drill myself into a possible state of an unhealthy body image or anorexia if I cannot know how to stop or if i SHOULD stop once I am at goal.

Good luck to you and I think you look great!
  • Rho_Ro
    Rho_Ro Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    WOW, lots of people speaking with their hearts. That's what I love about this place - like-minded people striving for similar goals.

When I was in my late 20's I was in the process of losing 3 stone for the second time. I'd lost that much in my early 20's, put it on plus and was losing it again. I was coming out of the Kindy and someone commented about how much weight I had lost. I looked down (I had my denim skirt on) and all I could see was my stomach. I still remember this and I'm 55 now. I remember noting a particular problem area (eg the lower back rolls at the side) and watching as the shadow under the fold got smaller and smaller until it disappeared. Can you remember anything like that that you can pinpoint and see the results.

I've lost 84 lbs and yes my clothes are baggy - in fact my sister-in-law has suggested I take in the seams of my most favourite hooded sweatshirt and I don't want to LOL, I love it baggy. However, I vowed and declared a while ago I wasn't wearing baggy trousers again!

My whole body is a problem area :bigsmile: so it's hard to pick on one area to see an improvement in LOL. I do remember a few weeks ago I got my hair cut from one length, base of my neck, around my ears with a fringe to layered and short in the same sort of style. I was okay in the hairdressers but when I got home and looked in the mirror, I didn't recognise the person looking back. I HATED that - the whole thing really upset me. It took about 3 days before the image staring back started to look familiar. I'm okay with me now and while I don't stand naked in front of a full length mirror very often (hardly at all really), I haven't scared myself yet. :laugh:

Maybe that's what you're feeling. Maybe you're scared of what you see and you don't know how to handle it. It honestly took me about 3 days and that was only a haircut!!! Imagine what I'm going to be like when I lose half my body weight. LOL

Anyhow, don't be too hard on yourself. I personally don't think there's anything too much wrong with you. You've lost 21 lb and that's a huge deal. CONGRATULATIONS Try and adjust yourself slowly perhaps by really looking at your face in the bathroom mirror and do this for a few days until it feels comfortable, then tackle your body side view or however you prefer. Just a few minutes of looking, no big deal, and if it becomes uncomfortable, pull ur top back down and walk away. I personally wouldn't force any of this. If it becomes so, so uncomfortable then get some professional help.

GOOD LUCK. And don't forget to pat yourself on the back!!! You've done it! You made it to goal! How absolutely FANTASTIC!!!!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    dont worry, it happens top all of us, especially if you are focusing on 1 particular area of your body.

i've lost 5 sizes so far and sometimes i cant see a difference especially in pictures.

my suggestion would be to take pictures of you wearing the same clothes and looking at them side by side. i recently took some new photos and was like *kitten* i still look huge!!! :sad: then i checked another photo of me wearing the same dress (it's the orange dress photos in my profile) and i was like whoa i have lost alot.
  • chnkysoup
    chnkysoup Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Did you take before pics? That may help, but also know that if I have a friend or coworker who loses weight it's very hard for me to tell on them until they've lost 30-40 lbs. also, you see yourself every single day and if you're anything like me you examine your body every single day. It's hard to see that change. I have known people who dropped 20 pounds without really trying and didn't really realize it until other folks complimented them on it. (my sister, stressful job).Maybe it would be better for you to ditch the scale and track your progress by dropping sizes and inches? Good luck!
  • chnkysoup
    chnkysoup Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    dont worry, it happens top all of us, especially if you are focusing on 1 particular area of your body.

i've lost 5 sizes so far and sometimes i cant see a difference especially in pictures.

my suggestion would be to take pictures of you wearing the same clothes and looking at them side by side. i recently took some new photos and was like *kitten* i still look huge!!! :sad: then i checked another photo of me wearing the same dress (it's the orange dress photos in my profile) and i was like whoa i have lost alot.
    This is good advice. I've just started losing weight so I am going to make sure I do that!
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    One of my amazing pals on here posted a really neat photo. She managed to take a picture of her "old" self and just make it a silhouette that she then put a picture of her current self over. It showed where her waist and bust had been versus where they are now. It was AMAZING to see how much she'd changed.

Sometimes, when we're used to looking into the mirror every day, we become used to what we see that we don't see the small and gradual changes. Plus, when we're used to seeing ourselves a certain way, it's hard to get out of our own way of thinking.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Similar thing here. I know I've lost weight. The scales tell me I've lost over 33 lbs since January. And I'm wearing a size 6 (~US 2) again. But when I look in the mirror, I seriously can't see it.

I mentioned it to a friend who commented on my weight loss, and now they're constantly on my back about anorexia. Which I don't think is even seriously on the horizon - I love food too much.

I have no idea whether it's body dysmorphia or what.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    A lot of this is non-pathological, straight up weird brain stuff. +1 it takes time to adjust your changed self-concept.

When i gained, I still 'saw' myself as a thinner person in the mirror. At my highest weight, I was shocked when a friend showed me a photo (taken at a merciless angle, but still)... I had NO IDEA I looked or was anywhere near that big. Even though the numbers told me so and I'd had to keep getting bigger clothes :/ Same thing on the way down.

Not only did I literally fail to see changes in the mirror, I even had problems orienting my body in space, both when I gained and lost. When I gained, I'd bump into things, thinking I had more room. When I lost, all the space around me was kind of a surprise.

So weird. That's one part of it.

The other part is coming to terms with actual changes to your body that were unexpected, around skin, shape, etc, most of which will be helped at least somewhat by time. Strength training will help reshape things, if that bugs you. The rest is acceptance. But give yourself a good couple of years for all those, and don't stress.
  • Toya2xcel
    Toya2xcel Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have body dysmorphia BUT I do see what you are saying. When I was my heaviest at 184, when I looked in the mirror I didn't think that I looked THAT big but I was avoiding pictures. Then I went to a friends wedding and she emailed me the pictures of us and that was when I saw my true self (in terms of weight) for the first time. So basically I thought I looked alot better than what I really looked like. Now when I look in the mirror I think I see myself as a little bigger than I really am so I still have to take pics to see the progress. I agree with the other person that said maybe it just takes time to re-adjust to seeing yourself at a different size.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Part of it is you but part of it may be other people. I've lost 62 pounds, down from 260. I know I am looking so much better but I also know I still have a ways to go! But people I work with and a few family members tell me I've lost too much weight and I am under weight. I am tall, 5' 10", but nearly 200 pounds is NOT underweight! I have mirrors in my house and they tell me I have come a long way. But they also tell me I'm not done!
    One more thing I have trouble with is shopping in the woman's department, not the plus size woman's department. I hold something up and think "that won't fit me". Then I try it on and it is not too small but sometimes it's too big! That's when I wonder about my view of myself.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it took a while for me to get used to it the other way around too.

i used to be thin and it took awhile after my weight gain that i started to see myself in my new size. it was hard to shop as well because i would just buy stuff without trying it on.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I have faced the fact that I will never see myself as thin enough. When I did think I looked ok everyone around me thought I looked too thin. I didn't know this until someone actually said they thought I was dying at one point.