Waist measurement will not go down, help!

Options
I am so confused, my weight right now is 128 pounds and I'm 5'7, my goal weight was originally 130 pounds but now I've decided is 120 pounds, I'm losing weight at a steady pace but i just cant lose inches on my waist! (It's 29" right now), I'm hoping to get down to atlas a 26" waist, is there something I'm doing wrong? Or is it just my body type? Is there anyway to focus on waist measurements? Any help would be appreciated :)

Replies

• RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    While you can't spot reduce, I first have to say that 120 is awfully skinny for 5'7". I'm 5'7" and weigh 134. My waist is 27"-ish but I'm more concerned with how it looks bare than what size jeans I wanna get into lol. What kind of workouts do you do now? Inbox me in case I forget to check the forums later...
  • obwize
    obwize Posts: 102
    Options
    From my experience I haven't been able to lose from one specific area more than another. So getting the waist smaller in comparison to other areas, not necessarily doable. However, there are ways to make your shape look better whatever that shape may be. Such as toning and getting muscle definition in that area. So anything to build muscle in the ab area should help improve aesthetics.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Eat consistently, and relatively healthy (we all need treats every now and again) without huge restrictions on calories.. and lift weights :P
    That really helps tone you up and shift inches instead of pounds (although it will help you drop weight if you're eating at a deficit).
  • workingonme2013
    Options
    I think it basted like you said on your body type before you lost the weight was the weight in your stomic or thighs, and if the answer is in your waist then that may be were your body naturaly stores fat. I got the same problem but mine is thighs, just try to target more to your waist and eat like a huner would being that thoses types of foods don't go straight to the waist.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce - I'm sorry.

Our stats are very similar, and it sounds like we have very similar body types.

I have a 27" inch waist, and most likely it will never get smaller due to my rib cage. I also have small hips (34"), so it makes my waist harder to see.

Regardless, you already have a beautiful body - you should be proud!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Actually research suggests you can spot reduce but ONLY the waist area and ONLY with a targeted diet and exercise regime. Firstly very high intensity interval and strength training, plus a low glycaemic index anti-stress, anti-inflammatory diet, plus an anti-stress lifestyle - no smoking or alcohol or caffeine, regular sleep patterns and so on. Any prescription medication including hormonal birth control is relevant as is your age/ menopausal status.

Is it definitely bodyfat, sorry for TMI but are you using the bathroom twice every day so not constipated? Also are you doing exercises to strengthen the deep abdominal muscles (transversus abdominis) using perfect technique? That means drawing your belly button towards your spine throughout the entire move, at no point should your back arch or your belly 'pop' out . Many women do moves that are too challenging or with poor technique so train their muscles to be strong when sticking out!
  • FluroFaye
    Options
    It could be body type. Generally, at that weight, a few lbs isn't going to matter...you're going to need to do core-specific exercises to tighten yourself up.
    And yes, your are a little skinny for your height...again it depends on your health and body type though. I would say try your toning exercises for that area and if you really don't think it's going to budge, you're going to have to accept that's where your body is happiest at without becoming unhealthy :)
  • justdoit52
    justdoit52 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I generally try to do core-specific exercises but will maybe attempt to work even harder at them, and do more reps! I'm not really worried about the number on the scale as much as I am how I look and feel in my body, and with my body type/proportions I can still lose a few more pounds and be fine, I have no desire to be too skinny! I am perfectly happy with the fact that I will never have a 24" waist, but am assuming even with whatever body type I am I should still be able to get it down a couple inches

Firefox.. I have no idea what you mean about deep abdominal muscle exercises, I'm assuming I have as I've been focusing on core-exercises and assume those would be included. Yes, my bowel movements are regular :)
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Thanks, but I don't think I can spot reduce my rib cage.

If you know of a way though, let me know. :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    One other bit of food for thought... where are you measuring?

I've seen a lot of women measure at the naval, and that's not always your natural waist. Measure the smallest part of your torso. Bend at the side, and where your body creases, is your natural waist. My natural waist is about two inches or so above my naval.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    24" waist?! Sounds like you have very small goals.
  • bmalacko
    Options
    I have an athletic shaped body. Meaning, not a lot of curves, and the appearance of no waist. Personally, I am not one to focus on more and more stomach exercises. When I push weights, I do not use machines. I use dumbbells, and do moves that challenge my balance. This in combination with proper form will keep the core strong. I don't do a lot of stomach exercises, based only on, the more you work a muscle, the bigger it becomes. So with that thought, why would I keep pushing my core, to result in greater mass on the mid section? Just my logic behind that one...
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thanks, but I don't think I can spot reduce my rib cage.

If you know of a way though, let me know. :)

Yeah, me too!! Mine's huge. I have the same waist size as you also, 27", and it will not go lower (but it is what it was at when I was in high school, and I've had three kids, so NOT complaining).
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Oh, and yoga got my waist from a 31" to a 27"!!
  • ShiraDarling
    ShiraDarling Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Start Strength training if you aren't already - using heavy weights has helped me lose inches on my waist. From a 30" to a 27" , and still going.
  • chelseaweewelsea
    Options
    I know you feel! You sound skinny for your height though?

P.S Add me you guys! I need support!
  • soliddreams
    Options
    Do vacuum pose exercises (blow out your air and pull your belly into your spine, hold for 30 seconds, repeat a 5-9 times a day).

The other thing is, like the others have said, a lot of people tend to measure their hips instead of their actual waist. My hips are a 36 (sigh) but my waist is at 32. Also, if you've eaten/drank, you're going to expand!
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Weird. I'm 5'7", 128, with a 26" waist. I want a 25" waist. lol. I do boxing and pilates, but I think what really made the difference was changing my diet -- both to cut bodyfat, and because I had a lot of stomach problems that would cause bloating. I lost an extra 2 lbs bodyfat last month and it resulted in getting my waist from 27" to 26" but it was really hard, becuase my stomach is where the hang on fat is... it's not even really worth it at a certain point.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It is mainly body type and as has been mentioned you cannot spot reduce.. If you cannot get a smaller waist at a healthy body weight then focus on getting an illusion of a smaller waist by strength training to get your butt and lat spread bigger.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    It is mainly body type and as has been mentioned you cannot spot reduce.. If you cannot get a smaller waist at a healthy body weight then focus on getting an illusion of a smaller waist by strength training to get your butt and lat spread bigger.
    So much win here. Increase the size of your legs, glutes and middle and upper back to give the illusion of a smaller waist.