How do you make yourself lose weight?

Options
I would like to know how you got to losing the weight... I know what to do thats not my problem... My problem is sticking to it and just getting started.. how did you get started on your weight lost journey?

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I woke up one day and said, I'm gonna do it......simple as that.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I looked in the mirror and didn't like what I saw. I knew that I had two choices - either accept being fat and out of shape, or do something about it. The will to change must be greater than the acceptance to remain the same.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I read a copy of Womend World. It had a story about a women who lost 137 LBS by using this site. I told myself I will try it. The first week I was on it I lost over 4 LBS. :)
  • rjh1975
    rjh1975 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am a stay-at-home mom of three kids and, for eight years, I completely ignored my health. With the birth of each child, I gained weight and I never really realized how big I'd gotten until I stepped on the scale four months after having my youngest and saw the number 251.9 staring back at me. I was horrified and decided that I needed a change. Over the next 6 months I exercised sporadically and tried to be a little more careful about what I ate. I lost 30 pounds but then I sat at that weight for a very long time.

In January of this year, one of my good friends (who had been bugging me for 5 years to join her at her bootcamp) finally convinced me to try a semi-private session with her trainer. At the same time, my now sister-in-law (who is 10 years my junior) asked me to stand up with her when she married my brother. I decided that I didn't want to be the old, fat person in the wedding party. 9 months later, I've lost 80 lbs and I'm the fittest I've ever been :smile: I spent 8 years making excuses and I'm so grateful to my pushy friend and my sister-in-law for finally motivating me to get my life back!
  • Danam48
    Danam48 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I sort of eased my way into it. I felt too threatened to just stop all my unhealthy habits all at once. It was mostly a mind game to start out with. I would just tell myself, if I wanted to have something unhealthy I could if I wanted to. As I started seeing a few pounds come off, it motivated me to make more healthy choices and less unhealthy ones. The main thing is to be patient with yourself, don't get down if you have a bad day. If you want to eat greasy pizza or fast food, do it and enjoy it. Just don't do it everyday.. I have been a yo yo dieter all my life and this time is different because I don't feel deprived of my favorite foods. Do I eat them every day? No, but just knowing that I can work them into my calorie goal keeps me on track. I usually go by a weekly goal, so if I go over one day I might eat lighter the next.
  • DaphneAtx
    Options
    One morning I got on the scale and saw 150 and almost freaked out. I'd been working a lot, not exercising and eating whatever was easy. Not anymore. I joined up here, log almost every day and have lost 25lbs since September.

What you need to remember is to recommit yourself EVERY single morning and just take it day by day. Some weeks you won't see a loss, but you're still getting healthy and, if you're workout, strong. Focus on your goal and take before pictures and measurements to keep you motivated.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I joined a weight loss challenge at work. I probably wouldn't have stuck with it otherwise. But I'm competitive and there was money involved.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I saw a picture of myself and decided to stop eating cake for a month. 2 weeks later I joined MFP.
    I stick with it because I want this. And it's not hard. I don't deprive myself of what I like.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I started by just cutting back to 1400 calories a day from who-knows-2000+-what?!!! lol.

The first couple of weeks my weight really didn't go down at all, so I was a bit discouraged and that was probably the hardest part. I continued, started hitting up the gym in the summer and lost 15 pounds in about 2.5 months which was great! Weight loss has slowed down because this school semester I haven't really exercised much so 13 pounds in 3.5-4 months which is still good for not exercising much.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I woke up one day and said, I'm gonna do it......simple as that.

me too. cleaned up my eating, started going to the gym..... the rest is history. I'm getting ready to run my second half marathon next weekend - first one was almost a month ago.
  • Brandi1168
    Brandi1168 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I went on vacation to a place with a water park. I spent almost everyday in a bathing suit for a week. That was enough to make me finally do something about it. The day after we got home I started Weight Watchers (again), but decided it wasn't for me and found MFP.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Eat less and move more. It's that simple. Don't wait for a "special" day, ie. I'll wait for Monday, until after the holidays, etc. Track your food, MOVE--whether it's walking, swimming, lifting, etc, and for all that is noodly and good, DON'T THINK THAT STARVING YOURSELF IS THE WAY TO GO.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    You have to want to do it. No one can help you with that.
  • itsedjusted
    Options

I ran across the Keto subreddit on reddit. I read and thought about it for a few weeks and then just tried it. 3 months and almost 40 pounds later, it's working.
  • LinaS1976
    LinaS1976 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi Nickey,

For me it was the 3rd round of cancer treatment that got me. My endocrinologist once told me that cancer feeds of fat cells and if you are fat the likelihood of it coming back is greater. So i was to lose the weight and be healthy so i can avoid another round of treatment. I am also doing this for my girls. They mean everything to me.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Yup. Everyone in the world (with little exception) would like to be skinny/smaller/in shape/fit. You have to truly want it bad enough if it's going to happen. Until then, you'll just be floundering around.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I would like to know how you got to losing the weight... I know what to do thats not my problem... My problem is sticking to it and just getting started.. how did you get started on your weight lost journey?

It was a number of things for me but the main one was that my husband didn't find me attractive any more and cheated. It was then that I realized that if I wanted to lose weight I was prepared to do anything to achieve it. Now I am more in control of my confidence, my weight loss etc than I was 6 months ago when I thought the my world had ended!
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I have to get into my workout clothes immediately after work for it to happen. In the mood or not, I put on my sports bra and Lululemon pants and think, "These few crunches will matter tomorrow." Then I do as many as I can, counting out loud (AND LOUD! Saying each number, in full and aloud, helps to motivate me) till I get to the OMGDYING point and have to take a break.

By then I'm in the right mindset to keep going with dance cardio, weights, etc.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I looked in the mirror one day and didn't like what i saw. And this may sound shallow, but i used to get a lot of male attention and compliments before i gained weight and that wasn't really happening anymore. I was also tired all the time even though i was sitting on my butt all day. So i started exercising and a few months after that i started making healthier food choices too.
  • hattie491145
    hattie491145 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    For me it was a combination of fears - I had started to feel like a stroke or a heart attack might happen at any minute, my 70 year old mother could walk faster than me, I was worried I'd never make anything in my life better and I really needed to. The main thing I asked myself was, if you aren't going to do this now (be healthier), are you EVER going to? I was scared that the answer might be no, and I knew that was bad. So I pushed all my toys out of the pram in one go - cut out everything I knew was keeping me down and started to reach for what I wanted. I quit my horrendous job (yes, I should have gotten another job first but I needed to feel the fear before I would get my butt off the seat) I signed up for classes, found a new job I LOVE, and started to put the things I enjoy first, instead of constantly worrying too much about what others think. Its not easy. I'm a bit twisted - certain people in my life are DESPERATE for me to lose weight and that has made me push hard against doing it. I shut out everyone's voice but mine and said what do you want, really? And the answer was to be healthy, to cook and enjoy food, but to have energy and vitality and be able to wear nice things. To have the confidence to go after other things I want out of life. Now I know that I'm doing it for me and no one else, and I have a strong reason for doing it, I've been able to let go and enjoy it :) Good luck with your journey.... sorry for rambling :0)