Looking for vegetarian recipes

Options
AnnaNoel_21
AnnaNoel_21 Posts: 96 Member
Please help me find new recipes. I am looking to find vegetarian recipes I can add to my list. What have you tried? What's your favorite? A few years ago I stopped eating meat and lost a great deal of weight. I am looking to do that again and be healthier. Any recipes will be fine. Ty!

Replies

• jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    There are several vegetarian and vegan groups on here. I would search them. I usually just create something on my own without following a recipe. Or I Google if there is something specific I am looking for. What kind of recipes are you looking for?
  • barbiek999
    barbiek999 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I would love some vegetarian recipes too :) I am just reading The China Study and am finding it very, very interesting! The main message being that it is unhealthy to consume animal proteins, which is wild for me to be reading as I started eating Paleo a few months ago and that includes quite a bit of animal protein!

Thanks in advance for sharing your recipes :)
  • AnnaNoel_21
    Options
    There isn't anything specific that I'm looking for. Just looking for recipes. I got married a few months ago and am trying to get new recipes and see what others like.
  • jw17695
    Options
    My favorite are is usually split pea soup and veggie tacos. I don't really have a recipe though.

For tacos I use (1/2) eggplant, (1) yellow onion, (1) poblano pepper, (1) red bell pepper, (1) yellow bell pepper and lots of fresh garlic. Cut them in thin strips and sautee them. Put them in the shell and add fresh homemade salsa. (I'm vegan so I don't use cheese).

For split pea soup I use (1/2) yellow onion, (1/2) bag of dried split peas, lots of garlic, water, and seasonings. I cook this in the crock pot and it takes about two hours.

There are three of us in our family (me, husband and 19 month old DD). We usually have a little bit left over.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I am a veggo, have been since I was a kid. Try this website, has plenty of vegetarian foods that I have made!
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/browse-results.asp?category=Vegetarian/

edit:
    Also try :

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2007/07/vegetarian-recipes.html
    http://vegweb.com/
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian!

Last night I made a GIANT stuffed portobello mushroom cap.

Scrape the gills out and cut off the stem. Chop up whatever you want to put into your mushroom (I used roasted red pepper, spinach, and the stem of the mushroom). Heat some olive oil in the pan and sautee your stuffings. While your stuffings are softening, scoop cream cheese and bread crumbs into a bowl (I added pesto to mine too). After your stuffings are softened, mix them in with your cream cheese and bread crumbs. Then scoop this into your mushroom cap and sprinkle more bread crumbs on top. Bake it in the oven at 400 degrees for about 30 mins.

Tonight I made sweet potato, chickpea, and spinach burgers.

1/2 can of chickpea (drained), 1.5 tbs of mayonnaise, a cup of spinach, salt, pepper, dill, and a tbsp of olive oil into the food processor until everything sticks together. I microwaved a skinned sweet potato during this process. After the sweet potato is cooked (7 mins), I mashed it in a bowl. I then mixed the contents of the food processor into the mashed sweet potato mix. Form the burgers into 4 patties, wrap in foil, and place in the oven at 350 for 20 mins. Then remove the foil and heat the burgers for 20 more minutes. Flip, then heat for 10 more minutes. Serve on a bun :) Delicious!

I have a ton more recipes if you want! I LOVE being a vegetarian, it's a lot of fun once you get cooking!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian!

Scrape the gills out and cut off the stem. Chop up whatever you want to put into your mushroom (I used roasted red pepper, spinach, and the stem of the mushroom). Heat some olive oil in the pan and sautee your stuffings. While your stuffings are softening, scoop cream cheese and bread crumbs into a bowl (I added pesto to mine too). After your stuffings are softened, mix them in with your cream cheese and bread crumbs. Then scoop this into your mushroom cap and sprinkle more bread crumbs on top. Bake it in the oven at 400 degrees for about 30 mins.

1/2 can of chickpea (drained), 1.5 tbs of mayonnaise, a cup of spinach, salt, pepper, dill, and a tbsp of olive oil into the food processor until everything sticks together. I microwaved a skinned sweet potato during this process. After the sweet potato is cooked (7 mins), I mashed it in a bowl. I then mixed the contents of the food processor into the mashed sweet potato mix. Form the burgers into 4 patties, wrap in foil, and place in the oven at 350 for 20 mins. Then remove the foil and heat the burgers for 20 more minutes. Flip, then heat for 10 more minutes. Serve on a bun :) Delicious!

I have a ton more recipes if you want! I LOVE being a vegetarian, it's a lot of fun once you get cooking!

Those burgers sound amazing I must try them!
  • priyashah
    Options
    Check out Indian healthy recipes (NOT Indian food in restaurants- Indian food in restaurants is not that healthy. They add too much creme). But homemade food is healthy- like lentil soups, (a lot of lentils to chose from), veggie stir fry with cumin and slight indian spices.
    Healthy Tofu stir fry with veggies is great too
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Gotta bump this one for later!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i get mine from a variety of sources, post punk kitchen, skinnytaste (i tweak any recipes with meat to add a meatless protein source), i have a cookbook i got from the library that i am currently going through it is betty crocker vegetarian cooking. allrecipes.com or yummly.com and search vegetarian, vegkitchen.com
    i make these recipes a lot:
    stuffed zucchini boats
    "beef" stroganoff
    spinach stuffed shells
    baked ziti
    quinoa with vegetarian chili (canned or home made)
    stuffed peppers
    pasta with roasted red pepper sauce
    greek tortellini salad
    tacos
    sweet potato burritos
    scrambled eggs with veggies, salsa and cheese
    stir fry
    and others that i cannot remember off the top of my head
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian!

oh man those stuffed mushrooms sounds AMAZING i am totally stealing that :p
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    I have a bunch of vegetarian recipes on my blog at http://ahealthyhunger.tumblr.com
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash Bake

Microwave a spaghetti squash for about 10 minutes. Let it cool, then scoop out the insides into a bowl. Add whatever vegetables you like into it (I added mushrooms, onions, and spinach). Add tomato sauce and mix everything up. put it into a casserole dish and cover with shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Bake for about 30-45 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and brown. DELICIOUS!

You could also use portobello mushroom caps in place of burgers.

Cheesy Bowtie Pasta

Cook bowtie pasta according to package. drain pasta and put back into the pot. Mix in 1 can of cream of mushroom soup and 1 can of cream of celery soup. Add in spanish olives (sliced in half), onion, and celery. Add in parmesan cheese and mexican blend cheese to your liking. Mix and enjoy!

I usually serve that with a salad and a bread of some sort.

Eggplant parmesan is good
    I love thai curries, especially with tofu
  • xoalynnxo
    xoalynnxo Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I recommend the book Eat Vegan on $4 a Day. You can modify those if you don't want 'vegan' strictly and you can purchase all the ingredients at the regular grocery store. I use recipes from that book all of the time!
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Food Network, Spark Recipes, Livestrong, and dozens upon dozens of websites either have sections or are completely dedicated to vegetarian and vegan recipes...and are free. If you want, iPhone and Android both have a good amount of free and paid apps that provide recipes as well...and many will add the ingredients to a shopping list too! Enjoy!
  • like_milk
    like_milk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My most recent favourite veggie meal is shakshouka (you could have it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!) I cannot share the recipe I use but you can find lots online if you search for it.

Actually, this one is closest to the recipe I use: http://princessblaya.wordpress.com/2012/11/16/simple-shakshuka/ I have it with some bread and salad.
  • Unodragone
    Options
    This is a simple side dish my family makes that I often eat as a meal lol forgive me I am Italian and rarely use exact measurements so you may need to play around with the amounts.

2 zucchinis
    1 squash
    1/2 white onion
    dash of extra virgin olive oil
    dash of low fat Italian bread crumbs (about a tablespoon in a half)
    dash of low fat parmesan cheese (about a teaspoon and a half)
    sprinkle of garlic powder

Cut zucchini, squash and onions in half inches and through them in a bowl or gallon ziplock bag (bags easier). Lightly coat with olive oil, sprinkle bread crumbs, cheese and garlic powder on and shake (or mix if bowl) until it’s all coated. Please in a non stick pan (I spray mine with olive oil Pam to be safe) and bake for about 30 minutes :happy:
  • jw17695
    Options
    I recommend the book Eat Vegan on $4 a Day. You can modify those if you don't want 'vegan' strictly and you can purchase all the ingredients at the regular grocery store. I use recipes from that book all of the time!

I will certainly check this out. :) Thank you!
  • AnnaNoel_21
    Options
    Thanks everyone! These all sound wonderful! I will definitely try them.
  • AnnaNoel_21
    Options
    Please keep the recipes coming. I'd like to know your favorites! Ty!