Help eating more veggies

Options

Replies

• marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    It's pretty easy. Just eat them. same thing I tell people that need to drink more water - just drink more water. It's really not that hard. seriously, you can't tell me that every vegetable tastes bad to you. Experiement with different vegetables, and different cooking styles. I love raw carrots, but recently tried roasted carrots, and found out I LOVE them My veggies of choice (though I eat pretty much all of them) are zucchini, sweet potatoes, broccoli, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, peppers, mushrooms, peas, green beans, beets, etc.

I also put kale & canned pumpkin in my protein shakes on a regular basis.

Avoid any veggies (frozen) that are covered in any kind of 'sauce' or seasoning. they are loaded with sodium.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Try juicing vegetables. It is a great way to get veggie nutrients into your body in concentrated form, and it tastes pretty good too. Smoothies are great, too.

If you have a facebook, "like" the page called "Fullyraw" co-op. It's an organic veggie co-op in Texas and they are always posing really creative recipes using tons of veggies.
  • kayakinggrrl
    kayakinggrrl Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The suggestion to make soup is a good one. I big pot of vegetable soup is really delicious this time of year and this is from someone who was never a big veggie eater as a kid. The flavors of all the vegetables blend together so it doesn't taste like any particular vegetable. Plus cooking changes the texture so that might help you some.

Other ways I enjoy veggies:
    A cup of steamed broccoli florets on top of my baked potato, with just a little cheddar cheese for flavor
    Tossing steamed green beans with a little rice vinegar, sesame oil, and soy sauce
    There are some good recipes to add spinach to Italian dishes such a lasagne.

Good luck! I really didn't like veggies as a kid. I remember sitting at the table crying because I didn't want to eat lima beans. Now I find that I miss them if I don't get a few on a regular basis.
  • topazz2511
    topazz2511 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    Some simple veggie ways that I have incorporated into my diet with success are -
    1. Eat raw carrots/celery/cucumber as snacks with hummus/peanut butter - very filling, yummy and nutritious
    2. roast veggies in the oven. This brings out their natural sweetness and you can then pair this with your favorite meat to make a rounded protein filled dinner
    Preheat oven to 200C.
    Wash some eggplant, carrots, zucchini, tomatoes, bell peppers, corn and slice thinly. combine 2 tbsp olive oil, crushed herbs(i love the italian mix herbs), salt and pepper. Add cut veggies to this bag and mix well so the veggies are nicely coated.
    remove veggies onto a lined baking tray/pan and pop into oven covered with foil for 10-15 mins, then remove foil and let roast for another 10 mins.. Yummy
    3. Cut up leftover grilled chicken and toss as a salad with lettuce, shredded carrot, cucumber, tomato. add some cheese for extra taste. you can use extra virgin olive oil with some lemon and pepper as a dressing. really healthy and yum
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I buy bags of frozen mixed vegetables, and stir them into just about anything. Pasta with marinara sauce... and a cup of "Italian Blend" veg. Teriyaki rice... and a cup of "Peking Blend" veg. Pepper and onion stir fry and black beans with Mexican rice. Yadda yadda yadda.

I get lots of vegetables, they pretty much just taste like whatever sauce or marinade I cooked with, and since they're in frozen, I don't end up with a bag of fuzzy moldy glop in my refrigerator if I forget to eat them. Plus, most bags are about $2 a pound (especially if you buy store brand) which is better than the cost of most fresh vegetables.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    As an adult I barely ate any fruit and vegetables until I got sick - one day I sat myself down and made myself change my ways. I can remember gagging preparing or tasting plenty of foods. For me what worked was thinking about when I would eat fruit or vegetables without minding - in my case it's always with a sauce, never plain by choice. I introduced one new food at a time until I was eating a reasonable range, but some things I still won't eat - I can't stand the sweet flavour or texture of most cooked root vegetables or squashes.

Do you like Indian or Thai curries, vegetable soups, Chinese stir fries, baked beans or vegetable lasagne? There are few calories in herbs and spices, hot chilli sauce, soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, meat stock nor in dry white or red wine once you boil the alcohol off. A rich tomato sauce disguises a lot and is a vegetable portion in itself. For a creamy sauce I use Greek yoghurt or low fat soft cheese or powdered milk (all count towards dairy portions) or block creamed coconut (you don't need much, it's a fruit and the fats may help bodyfat loss) or a double strength canned 'cream' of mushroom soup.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Well can you give us some examples of what you're eating now?

Try seasoning veggies, steaming them, baking them, ect...think of the vegetables you already like and incorporate them. I'm veg so I eat them alot, of course, like you, there was a time I didn't eat many of them at all..
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Spinach is like my "BAM" and I throw a few handfuls into everything. I do not have a microwave so I warm my soup up on the stove and I add my spinach when I am reheating it and it tastes much better then throwing it in when I am first cooking the soup and does not become slimy sitting in the soup for a few days in my fridge.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Try making green smoothies. I get tones of green veggies in my diet that way.

Ditto this. I was never vegetable-averse, but in the past the only way I could think of to consume enough vegetables was in a salad form... and man did I ever get tired of chewing an entire bowl of leaves. A year and a half ago my boyfriend and I invested in a Vita-Mix, and now we have a green smoothie every day with dinner. I think we based it off Dr. Oz's recipe, and it contains:

1/2 cucumber
    3 sticks of celery
    1-2 cups of spinach
    Few sprigs of parsley
    1 apple
    1/2 to 1 avocado
    Chunk of raw ginger
    Chunk of raw turmeric
    1 tbsp each lemon and lime juice
    Enough water to blend

At the beginning, we had to add a bunch of grapes to it because it was a little too bitter and astringent, but now we just drink it as above... it's gotten to the point where I find having grapes in it makes it taste almost too sugary. We drink this just before or just after dinner, because it is pretty filling, and I find it totally refreshing and rehydrating now. You could also start with half that recipe and see how it goes. I find it much, MUCH easier to drink my veggies than to eat them, plus it boosts my water intake too!
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Sorry - there's no silver bullet, so stop looking for it. Focus on fibrous green veg - broccoli, spinach, green beans, sprouts, etc. I roast the brocc/sprouts. Spray with some olive oil, adds salt/pepper on a cookie sheet. 450 deg for about 20 minutes.

Eat your vegetables!
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    The way I learned was to hide them in things I do like and to doctor them up really well.

Blend some carrots into your spaghetti sauce. Mix other veggies with mashed potatoes. Eat a whole lot of Ranch dressing with each bite. Eventually (and doesn't take long), you get used to the taste and you can back off of the doctoring up and hiding.

I now eat carrots raw, tons of salad, broccoli, cabbage, etc. For the first 25 years of my life I was a corn and potatoes girl.
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If humans were true vegetarians/vegans they would have thicker enamel on their teeth.
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Roasting veggies is a great way to eat them (put veggies in a pan with a bit of olive oil/salt/pepper, preheat oven to 400, and cook until tender and lightly browned). Invest in some really awesome veggie cookbooks. You can find a lot at your local library. My favorites are:

Love Soup by Anna Thomas
    The Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas
    Appetite for Reduction by Isa Moskowitz
    Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Moskowitz
    Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I just had the most amazing sweet potato--cut up and put in the oven for 35 minutes with some cinnamon and coconut oil. Rather than try to choke them down as a side, think of what you do like to eat and find ways to incorporate that into the veggies. If you like meat, cook the veggies with the meat for more flavor. If you like sweetness, try the sweet potatoes or butternut squash cooked as above.
  • Ivyzmama
    Ivyzmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you lack confidence in your ability to deal with vegetables, not only in eating them, but also in shopping for them, choosing what to buy, how to cook it - the whole catastrophe. I recommend you think of a type of food that you love. Do you love French food? Buy a comprehensive French cookbook - something that covers soup to nuts - and start making the vegetable recipes from page 1. Just take the 1st recipe with vegetables in it, and make it. You'll know how to make it healthier by leaving out most of the fat, for instance. Then, later that week, gather up your courage and make the next recipe. This way you'll be trying out new vegetables, in a flavor (ie, French) that you already know you love. And don't skimp on the spices. Whatever the recipe calls for, buy those spices. The spices really make the recipes sing. Spices are expensive, but once you have a collection in your kitchen, you won't have to keep buying them and they do last a long time. Check out clearance sections in bookstores - they usually have a lot of cookbooks with big colorful photos in them on clearance, especially after Christmas (because people often buy big photo cookbooks as gifts). If you like Italian, buy an Italian cookbook. If you're not sure what you like, I recommend the Joy of Cooking because it is so comprehensive, with simple recipes. If you keep making each recipe in turn, by December 2013, you'll have confidence to be able to "toss things together" the way previous posters here are describing.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    As an over 40 life long hater of most vegetables it was tough for me to start eating vegetables as well. When I started trying to eat less processed foods I started trying vegetables. I went to a restaurant and for the first time didn't pick out the broccoli, zucchini, and other unknown vegetables. It was pretty good. So I just started cooking my own vegetables and trying them in different ways. I still don't eat peas or beans except for sweet pea pods and green beans, I like both of those. The more I eat healthy the better healthy food tastes.
  • been2boston
    been2boston Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same thing; I'm not a huge veggie fan, but I'm slowly learning to find what I like, make them so I like them, and eat more of them. I think the biggest thing, though, is actually buying them and putting them in the fridge on the shelf right at eye level so it's the first thing I see when I open it up. When I get home from the grocery store, I portion out the raw veggies that I like (I've found I really like baby carrots and snow peas) into baggies to pack for lunches for the week. I add in spinach or some mixed veggies into pasta sauce. I add in spinach to my egg white omelets (and add feta cheese or salsa). I've been making my lunches, and the main thing I make is chicken tenders (skinless, baked) with frozen veggies (there are SO many kinds that are lightly sauced- cheesy, teryaki (sp?), tuscan or asian spiced).

Good luck to you!!!
  • theblackbirdtree
    Options
    Sorry if this is a double post/idea, but I find that I can easily pack away 2-4 cups of spinach and collard greens when I add them to pasta dishes or casseroles, and even soups. Just tonight I steamed 2 cups of greens till they wilted and added tuna, cayenne, salsa and some vegan cheddar. YUM!
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Roasting, roasting, roasting. They are amazing that way

Cauliflower, sweet potatoes, squash, asparagus, parsnips, carrots. They are all AMAZING roasted, just google roasted <insert veggie here> to get a solid recipe!

also smoothies are good too

try this: (it may be a little high in calories but it will give you tonnes of nutrients)

Orange juice
    frozen mango or blueberries or what ever you like
    a banana
    1/4 avocado
    hand full of baby spinach

blend it all up till its smooth... YUM
  • souzouchan
    Options
    My goodness such amazing feedback! I'm sorry I can't reply personally to all of the posts but THANK YOU for all of the ideas! They sound amazing!

alijane9: I do enjoy spinach and asparagus. The only true restriction I have are onions, I have a cramp like allergic reaction when I eat too much of them.

Some of you mentioned mashed potatoes, LOVE that! So I'll try the cauliflower idea sometime! :)

I've bookmarked the thread so I can try some of these recipes, seasonings and blends. Again, thank you so much! I'l try a few and let you know how things go! :)

*hugs for all!*