A Slow Fix?

Options
Background:
I've dealt with EDs before. I know when I start to diet I can get a little out of hand.
I am afriad it is happening again. Eating WAY less than I should, etc.
But now I realize after reading around on this site it won't work in the long run.
(I've hit a roadblock in my rapid weightloss)
Since I still want to lose (i've still got about 20 lbs before my BMI is in the "underweight" area) and want to be healthy again:
What should I do?
I don't want to up my calories back to 1200 instantly because I'm very afriad of gaining weight. Should I do it slowly? Over a few days? A week?
I need to get away from this roadblock and back to better health.
I AM seeing a doctor in two days but am scared to discuss any form of having an ED with her.
(I don't think its nescessary. I think I can recover from this little stint without doctors getting involved.)
Any advice? Ideas? Similar experiences?
Anything is very much appreciated!

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    100 extra a day for a week at a time.
    Week after another 100.

Even with this you will be topping off glucose stores likely that have just been depleted all the time.
    500 calories stored is 1 lb of mostly water weight. Good water weight, increases metabolism.

Do some resistance exercises, strength training, heavy for you. Cut out the cardio as you recover.
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hold on a sec. You don't want to up your calories to 1200? How many are you eating now?
  • Nevermore92
    Nevermore92 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was eating 350, now around 500 as of two days ago. I suppose I will have to reach 1200 some day. But I just can't do it fast (totally freaks me out!)
  • envy09
    Options
    I was eating 350, now around 500 as of two days ago. I suppose I will have to reach 1200 some day. But I just can't do it fast (totally freaks me out!)

How long have you been doing this?
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Do you know concentration camp victims during WW2 ate about 200 calories a day? 350 is not enough. A 22 pound child has a BMR of about 600 calories a day...
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I need to get away from this roadblock and back to better health.
    I AM seeing a doctor in two days but am scared to discuss any form of having an ED with her.
    (I don't think its nescessary. I think I can recover from this little stint without doctors getting involved.)
    Any advice? Ideas? Similar experiences?
    Anything is very much appreciated!

Honey, please please please talk to your doctor about this. You really need some help to manage this problem in a healthier way.
  • Nevermore92
    Options
    I started my diet around November 10th with 1000 and probably didn't dip into 500 til the 14th. Then 350 about a week ago?
  • envy09
    Options
    I started my diet around November 10th with 1000 and probably didn't dip into 500 til the 14th. Then 350 about a week ago?

Then you should be able to up your calories to 1200 without any weight gain. Weight gain from too low calories happens only when you've been eating at an extreme deficit for a long period of time. A little under a month is not enough time to have significantly affected your metabolism.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options

Honey, please please please talk to your doctor about this. You really need some help to manage this problem in a healthier way.

^^^^ This. You have an active ED and you need support from a doctor and therapists to get to a normal eating pattern. You are damaging your body right now (although you probably know this already). Remember that you are a valuable and special person and you deserve the best! Please get some help!
  • notmac
    notmac Posts: 89
    Options
    I agree, you should talk with your doctor. If you have fought this battle before, you may need help to get beyond this, and to help prevent this again. Don't feel like the doctor will be hard on you, their job is to help keep you healthy. Eating properly will help you stay healthy.
  • Nevermore92
    Options
    Well I definitely will talk to my doctor about it. I think gaining 100 cal a week will be easiest for me. Although I never have been formally diagnosed with an ED, I think that it is true that I have one. I have decided that want to be healthy and thin, not sick and thin. I just can't take how its making my feel anymore and in the end controling me. Not vice versa.