Alcohol Consumption

Options
ZebraHead
ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
OK - Please hold off on the soapbox speeches on this subject. Purely from a caloric standpoint I want to know what folks think about burning a few hundred calories a night on Alcohol consumption.

Replies

• esco2186
    esco2186 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    beer...no....liquor yes! lol i say if your gunna do it make sure to hit the gym the next day even if you feel ****ty haha
  • SIZE28
    SIZE28 Posts: 7
    Options
    I think I like drinking a few calories!
  • plummer08
    Options
    I havent' ever heard of any alcohol burning calories. Depending on what you drink you will really add calories. I am a big drinker. That is what has gotten me in so much trouble with my weight in the past. A beer has about 100 calories, wine about 60 for 4-5 ounces. You really have to measure it too. I had 4 glasses of wine the other weekend and the next day I measured out the actual ounces in the glass and my 4 glasses equaled 40 ounces, it was over 800 calories! Hard liquor is about 60 calories for one ounce and then whatever you mix with it. Don't forget that you can get the munchies from drinking too which also contributes to calories. Good luck, I know how hard it is to not let yourself have that enjoyment.
  • csull12983
    Options
    Totally worth it to have a few light beers or a couple of glasses a wine per night - I'm doing it and I lost 3 lbs in a week with cutting back calories & ramping up exercise
  • JJRunning
    JJRunning Posts: 146
    Options
    MGD 64 is my new fav! I'm holding off on the alcohol until I hit my goal though.... mostly just because I feel healthier, but don't get me wrong.... I love my drinks:laugh:
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Thx all - My choice is double shot of Vodka - 104 calories and Sprite Zero - 0 calories in a tall glass yum. It's five o'clock somewhere.:bigsmile:
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    All for it - lol! If you have the calories left for the day. Maybe a wine spritzer (wine mixed w/ diet 7-up) or a vodka tonic -- with DIET tonic or my fave: vodka with diet 7-up and a splash of cranberry-light juice.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Do it. I turn 21 in 3 weeks and I plan on working my *kitten* off in the morning so this girl can drink at night!! :)
  • kiki28riki
    Options
    My trainer, who has a regular (University) degree in nutrition and wellness, told me that even if you count the calories as part of your daily goal, your metabolism will still "shut down" for the day that you drink as well as the whole following day! She said when you drink you should literally eat just salad the following day because your body burns the alcohol first so any food you eat will "stick" to you. I'm really good about planning my day if I know I will be drinking at night, however, there are many days where I go WAY over my calories even when I do plan ahead : ) I'm fine if I lose a little slower while still having fun and being social! Hope this helps!
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My trainer, who has a regular (University) degree in nutrition and wellness, told me that even if you count the calories as part of your daily goal, your metabolism will still "shut down" for the day that you drink as well as the whole following day! She said when you drink you should literally eat just salad the following day because your body burns the alcohol first so any food you eat will "stick" to you. I'm really good about planning my day if I know I will be drinking at night, however, there are many days where I go WAY over my calories even when I do plan ahead : ) I'm fine if I lose a little slower while still having fun and being social! Hope this helps!

That is absolutely correct. The body has a decreased rate of fat burning, but it doesn't hurt to sweat it out the next day!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    OK - Please hold off on the soapbox speeches on this subject. Purely from a caloric standpoint I want to know what folks think about burning a few hundred calories a night on Alcohol consumption.

Every night? I think it's a horrible idea. Even if you burn it off with exericse, your body needs NUTRITION. So, unfortunately, nothing should be answered soley from a calorie standpoint because that's not even close to all that matters. Alcohol is empty calories. A few hundred empty alcohol calories are far worse than burning a few hundred calories on ice cream every night, because at least ice cream has some nutritional value.

Do I drink alcohol? Yes, but more like once every two weeks. It's one of those things that is best done in moderation (I enjoy it more doing it that way, too, actually).

So, the short of it is that you may be able to do it and still lose weight to a point, yes, but you're not doing your body any favors at all. If your goal is to lose weight, can (probably) do. I knew a girl who went from weighing around 130 to around 115 and all she ever ate or drank was like a 12 pack of light beer a night (she now weighs about 250). But, if your goal is to be healthy, it's unfortuntately a no go.

And I don't know where you are geographically, but a "double shot" of vodka 'round these parts is closer to 200 calories. 1 OUNCE of vodka = about 70 calories. 1 shot = 1.5 ounces.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Wine is my drink of choice and my only reason for my weight gain. But i have learned how I can still have my wine by cutting other food calories and still stay within my caloric counts. I also excercise 4-5 days a week. So feel i am not depriving myself of my GRAPES!!! :drinker:

Good Luck!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    As long as it's not a daily thing, I say go for it. You still gotta have fun, right?
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    As long as you eat well and exercise before indulging in a few drinks, I think it's okay!

I always try to keep calories in mind while (over)drinking. Vodka soda (soda water, NOT tonic) is where it's at calorie wise!

However, they're WAY too easy to drink down and I usually end up regretting that decision the next day. :blushing:
  • sessy1011
    sessy1011 Posts: 30
    Options
    :) this was a good post!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Well I do it :) However, I don't drink very often, maybe once a month. Yet when I do it's like half my daily calories or more. I figure since it's every once in awhile, I can swing it. It's never fun to be the DD :) Just hit the gym hard that day or the next day and drink tons of fluids to keep yourself hydrated. I like to have vodka and diet tonic myself!
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    OK, at my age I feel life is too short not to drink a good beer once in awhile. I take care of the same amount of people who run every day and only eat carrots as those who eat pizza and beer every day. But the people who indulge have more health problems in the long run, so with that in mind I don't drink every day or even every other day but when I do, could anyone tell me the calorie count for Boulevard IPA? Yummy.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I love my wine, but I've cut my consumption considerably as I've learned I am insulin resistant and well, you may as well pour me a glass of sugar.

I gave up drinking during BOTH my pregnancies and I actually LOST 15 pounds DURING my pregnancies. I gained back the weight immediately after my pregnancies and I was able to drink again.

I didn't drink until I was in my 30's and it was then that I started gaining weight at a considerable rate. Most of my 20's I smoked pot. I weighed a good 70 pounds LESS then, than I do now.

I'm not condoning you give up your alcohol for pot, but I think you will need to ask yourself why you need to drink a glass of alcohol every night.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    OK, at my age I feel life is too short not to drink a good beer once in awhile. I take care of the same amount of people who run every day and only eat carrots as those who eat pizza and beer every day. But the people who indulge have more health problems in the long run, so with that in mind I don't drink every day or even every other day but when I do, could anyone tell me the calorie count for Boulevard IPA? Yummy.

http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/boulevard-brewing-co/single-wide-ipa-12oz Here's a link...180 calories per 12 oz.
  • MattDustin
    MattDustin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yup, just like what was already said, you can't look purely at the calories in alcohol. Your body sees alcohol as a poisonous toxin, we all know this from high school science. Your body wants to do everything it can to protect itself, so when it detects toxins, it will drop what it's doing and try to flush out the alcohol. So yes, not only does it add calories and give you the munchies, it will stop digesting anything you eat during and after drinking. Any food you eat before drinking as well will probably not be digested/broken down correctly.