Weight Training + Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
Does this work? Can you track your calories burned with a HRM? What is the best way to track your calories for weight training?
Thinking about purchasing one soon so any advice or recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    No. It does not accurately measure calories burned in strength training. A HRM uses an algorithm to figure calories based on an increase in heartrate during cardio exercise. The raised heartrate during weightlifting isn't the same.

It is very hard to figure calories burned during weightlifting because there are so many variables. I chose to use the MFp estimates, which give me about 150 per hour. It isn't a huge amount that if it wasn't accurate it wouldn't seriously impact my weight loss. If I was logging 400 calories for an hour (which I have seen some people do based on hRMs,esp considering I barely burn that running for an hour) it may affect it more.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Here is an article that explains better
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75
  • RaViCa
    RaViCa Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot, really appreciate it.
  • EmLikesToWin
    Options
    Hey there - couldn't recommend a HR monitor more! Definitely worth the investment.

In regards to weight training I do high intensity weights meaning I maintain a high heart rate while throwing in some spin bike, cross trainer or rowing to keep HR high and exhaust muscles each set. I go from exercise to exercise quickly, alternating muscle groups, and don't allow recovery time. When working in this way I believe the HR monitor to be accurate in it's measurements of calories. I could be wrong but it's working for me.

All the best!
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Does this work? Can you track your calories burned with a HRM? What is the best way to track your calories for weight training?
    Thinking about purchasing one soon so any advice or recommendations are appreciated.

Heart rate monitors are pretty useless for calculating the calories that you burn during weightlifting. They can give you an "ok" indication for "cardio" but that's it.

You don't burn many calories during weight lifting anyway. The positive effects are others: you get stronger, higher bone density etc. I wouldn't worry too much about burning calories.

I read here on the forum: losing weight will make you look good in clothes. Lifting will make you look good naked.

I chose to use the MFp estimates, which give me about 150 per hour. It isn't a huge amount that if it wasn't accurate it wouldn't seriously impact my weight loss.

I do exactly the same.

Cute kid in your avatar :)