What HRM Should I Be Looking For?

Options
Which heart rate monitor would you consider more accurate? The Garmin FR70 Fitness Watch With Heart-Rate Monitor or Polar FT7 Women’s Heart Rate Monitor? I'm looking for one that is less than 150$ but accurate enough to pass.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Either one would be a good choice.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    neither would be a better choice. getting in shape has nothing to do with your heart rate and chasing calories burned is a great way to slow your progress to a crawl.

Just work out.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really matter which, as you'll be putting it back on eBay soon after trying it out a few times anyway. Nothing a HRM can do that a cheap Casio can't.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Both are Polar so they'll both be great HRMs. Nothing wrong with getting an HRM...Polar has great training tools and if nothing else, its another way to track your progres.
  • EmLikesToWin
    Options
    I love my FT7! I can't compare it to anything else though. Having the ability to track your calories in and out gives me control and knowledge. I couldn't recommend a HR monitor more after the past couple of months and my weight loss thus far. I you want one, get one - don't listen to the naysayers!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I really like my FT7. Find it a great aid for cardio training.
    No idea why people are so anti HRMs - CV fitness is a crucial part of health for me.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Both are really good/precise. I would base my decision on what is important for you: like offline training tools, data transfer, design etc.

HRM can be an extremly valuable tool! When I started cycling I plateaued for a long time. I just couldn't get any faster. Until I bought me my first HRM and found out that I always trained wayyy too hard. It was much easier to pace myself with a HRM. Buying a HRM monitor is a no-brainer imo.

EDIT: that was in 1994 btw. I have had many many hrm's since then.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    No idea why people are so anti HRMs - CV fitness is a crucial part of health for me.

Not anti as such, just think they are an expensive toy when a cheap Casio digital will give you the same information. The actually going out and doing something is more important, but if you have money to burn - nice toy!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Not anti as such, just think they are an expensive toy when a cheap Casio digital will give you the same information. The actually going out and doing something is more important, but if you have money to burn - nice toy!

This is my third HRM, first cheap one was useless, second was a Polar FT1 and was accurate but poor to use and worse to change any settings (let alone battery!). FT7 is perfect for me and not very expensive for something I use as a watch 7 days a week and as an HRM 5 times a week. Agree the value/cost thing is personal choice but I find it both a useful training aid and motivational.