What to eat the morning of a long run?

Options
Good Morning,

I'm looking for input as to what to eat the morning before you do a long run?

I used to have some kind of bread item with peanut butter, but I now eat "mostly" Paleo and bread items don't always sit well in my stomach in the morning (acid indigestion/heart burn). Bananas give me pretty bad acid indigestion before running, too.

Right now, I usually have some almonds or part of a lara bar and they usually sit well while I'm running and provide a decent amount of energy, but I wonder if they'll be enough as my long runs get longer.

What do YOU eat in the morning before a long run?

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes, apples, brocolli are my usual preworkout go to foods.
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    how long is long? if it's less than 8 or 9 miles then you don't need to eat anything different. Otherwise, oatmeal will work great.
  • BuckeyeGirlBrit
    Options
    Sweet potatoes, apples, brocolli are my usual preworkout go to foods.

I will often eat a hard boiled egg as well.
  • annas3911
    Options
    What about a banana milkshake - made with almond milk plus some nuts :)
  • mollyhayes1971
    Options
    I also eat peanut butter on toast and a banana before my runs of 10+ miles or longer. Oatmeal works well too but not sure if you can eat that on Paleo diet or not. You could also try a smear of beans on a gluten free tortilla. If your running is longer than 10 miles...have you been able to eat anything during your run? Energy gel, bites off an energy bar...that sort of thing? That may help keep your body fueled for those longer endurance events so that you don't have to fill up in the morning. Also, be sure you eat a well balanced meal the night before. I love lean chicken and potatoes the night before a long run, keeps me full and satisfied. And don't forget to hydrate well too!
  • Deedee0075
    Deedee0075 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i would eat a banana, granola bar, and drink some coconut water. nothing heavy - you don't want to vomit or get a tummy ache. obviously, the night before, you should eat more.
  • fedorpuppy
    fedorpuppy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat you are! Saturday I tried an apple (quartered and cored) spread with a tablespoon of peanut butter and it worked great. Kept me satisfied until my first vanilla bean gu and no GI problems. Tasty too! That's about the best we can hope for, right? :laugh:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Nothing. Even up to runs as long as 20 miles during my marathon training.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I agree with rybo, you don't need to eat anything (assuming you didn't fast the day before). But if you want to eat something...well you can eat pretty much anything. Just keep it light.
  • acs4162
    acs4162 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming!

I have started eating gel/beanz during runs with no issues. It's something about the oils in peanut or almond butter that don't sit well, and the acid in the banana that doesn't want to stay down while running.

I do eat a good meal of carb, fat, and protein the night before long morning runs, and hydrate the day before.

It's good to know that some people are able to run 8-9 miles with no breakfast. Maybe I'll stop trying to cram so much in the morning of.
  • acs4162
    acs4162 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

What did you eat the morning of your marathon?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything before runs up to about 10 miles. I don't use any of the gels or anything either during training runs. I haven't had any problems. For runs over about 10 miles I'll eat some peanut butter on toast about an hour before I run. I don't eat anything until I'm done running and get home and shower and start making pancakes or whatever.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I can't run without eating something at least an hour in advance. I get hungry and then all I think of is food.

I always have eggs and a banana and then when I get back I make a smooothie.
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Porridge + banana = unstoppable running machine.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

What did you eat the morning of your marathon?

I think a half a bagel w/some jelly or maybe a banana.