Dad's heart attack.

Options
Two years ago, my dad, at 50 years old, had a heart attack. Since then, all the family changed their way of eating and our training habits (well we actually started to exercice!). My dad lost 55 pounds, my mom 45.

Since I am not living at my parents place anymore (for University), I gained back ahum, few pounds.

SO, I have 30 pounds (from 170 to 140) to lose to reduce my chances of getting a heart attack at 50 like my dad. I tried weight watchers, but gained back the 10 pounds I lost. I want to make it durable.

I am a Master student with no time to cook and barely no time to train (like three times a week max). So every advice you have will be welcome whether is it about finding time to cook or train!!!

In the way I see it, let's lose collective weight!!!! :)

Replies

• Grenon
    Grenon Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Good job to your parents for their great loss! It is hard to eat right and exercise being busy all the time. Just need to make some small chances and it will have a big change on yourself. Sent you a friend request, good luck! :)
  • OctupyMTL
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    30 pounds isnt too difficult , certainly isnt easy :) u can do it
  • Aquarii
    Aquarii Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    For food:
    > You can cook a bunch of food in one sitting, put them in individual tupperwares/plastic bags, and put them in the refrigerator/freezer. Example: Boil several pounds of chicken, keep some in the fridge/freezer, and put some in tupperwares with other food to make pre-made meals ready to go. My personal tupperware for my lunch at work usually includes: 6 oz boiled chicken, 100g brown rice, and 2 cups of (raw) broccoli or green beans. Since the tupperware I use has a small vent on its lid, I'm able to steam the vegetables when I warm up my food in the microwave.
    > Foods that are good for you, not messy to eat, and easy to pack/have on the go . Some of my personal favorites are light string cheese, bananas, yogurt, and almonds.
    > Frozen fruits like blueberries, strawberries, pineapples, mangos, etc., since they're usually pre-washed (some people still wash them, but no need).

Hope this helps!
  • OctupyMTL
    Options
    That's a cool and simple way to plan your meals. I guess I just need a little preparation like sundays afternoon or something like that!
  • chelery04
    chelery04 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting the exercise thing myself and I'm finding that if I have someone that I work out with (walk, whatever) I'm more inclined to do it. It's easier for me to get going when there's someone counting on me to be there. I also have a WII that I use quite frequently that is more like fun than exercise. Good luck and feel free to add me :)
  • MagnaSky
    MagnaSky Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am a graduate student as well, third year Ph.D., plus I am a mother of two boys. The only time that I have for exercise is very early in the morning. Right now I get up at 4:10 AM five times a week to exercise . For you it may be late at night. DVDs help, you can play them on your laptop or TV. Many programs require only one set of weights. You can do it!
  • chartt
    chartt Posts: 31
    Options
    I know what your going through, my husband just recently had a heart transplant, june 12 2012. It really makes a person stop and think about what they are doing to their bodies. Since surgery hes lost 30lbs and I have lost 25. I wish you tons of luck, there are so many people here to help and encourage you.:smile:
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I had my heart attack and open heart surgery to bypass 5 clogged arteries 4 1/2 yrs. ago but still didn't take it seriously until my doctor told me that I was going to die if I didn't lose wt. I re-evaluated my life and decided to lose wt. for myself, husband, family and good friends. I know what you mean. I don't want another heart attack. I was only 44 when I had my first one. Feel free to add me for support and motivation.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I come from a family of heart failure and my Dad had his 1st Heart attack at age 50 and bypass op, he then went on to have another set of bypasse's 11 yrs later, needless to say he died in 2002 at age 70. I just had a 99% blockage on Oct 25th in main artery LAD and almost died which required a Medictated heart Stent , I just turned 45 so much younger then my Dad was and I am 1 month post op and doing good so far and just started doing Low Carb.