Can You Get a Good Workout Using the Just Dance games?

Options
I have two of the Just Dance games I have been using for exercise here. I am just wondering if it is a good method to use as a workout. I just feel like I haven't seen much results here. Thanks!

Replies

• GluttonousGirl
    GluttonousGirl Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    What about your diet?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Not really. It's fun, it gets you moving but it isn't going to give you any significant weight loss or fitness level. 90% of weight loss will be your food intake. Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym and I'm not really sure what happens in front of a video game.
  • ashvegas99
    Options
    What about your diet?

I try to eat as healthy as possible. You can see my diary if you wanna know more.
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I think these games can be great especially when you're just getting started. I have lots of Wii games and when I started MFP in June they were most of my cardio (particularly Dance Dance Revolution).

But you need to be careful not to overestimate the exercise calories from them -- often the games give you very generous calorie counts that are based on doing every move in a really high energy way. As long as you're moving around and sweating you'll be getting yourself fitter, but you might want to be careful about eating back your exercise calories.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    You can burn a lot of calories dancing. Get a heart rate monitor and calculate your calories burned while dancing.
    Weight loss is most effective with diet AND exercise. I would recommend some type of weight training also for best results.
  • ashvegas99
    Options
    I think that is my problem.....I overestimate the calories I burn doing those games. It is really hard to tell how many you are actually burning. Maybe I should just stick with walking for now on.
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You'll burn some calories and I think you can do them but I would mix it in with things. And you should invest in a HRM! I found I was overestimating some exercises (like Zumba on Wii)....but was underestimating others (live Zumba classes, running, etc.). You should try to mix some strength exercises in. I would really recommend the 30DS DVD....it's cheap ($13) and not too hard but there's cardio + strength. Many people have had success doing it and for me (using my HRM) it burns about 300 calories.

Keep trying to mix things up! It makes a difference in your weight loss! So your body doesn't get used to just one thing.