Stuck... and don't like it :(

Options
I know I've probably plateau'd by now. I love to workout and do it a lot, but don't see my body changing much although I feel stronger all the time.

I've worked out at home in the past, and then got my membership so I go to the gym everyday on my lunch at least 4 days a week, usually 5. This is my time to workout because I need to get home to my dog.

I need some tips on how to get the most effective workout in 45 minutes (I can push an hour if I need to). OR, anything that I can do easily from home that doesn't take a lot of space.

Thanks!

Replies

• jessejames3ball
    Options
    30DS, Insanity, anything like that? I started P90X, but need a fair amount of equipment for that.
  • catpea33
    catpea33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest Insanity too. It's great for getting fat to just drop off you and the first phase workouts are about 35 minutes long. It's the hardest workout I've ever done and no equipment is needed! I've done P90X too and that's good for toning and fat loss but the DVDs lasted longer (sometimes up to 90 minutes and the average was about 75 minutes) and as mentioned, more equipment is needed.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    If you're stuck, then you probably need to switch it up.

As for a quick workout, I swear by running--best calorie burn in the shortest amount of time. You can do it practically anywhere, too.
  • mviegas1
    mviegas1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I also go to the gym on my lunch hour and usually try to fit in Spinning or Zumba...45 minutes of intense workouts.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    lifting heavy. you can get some serious work done in 45 minutes. Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women or stronglifts.com

Good luck to you!
  • SanDiegoCasey
    SanDiegoCasey Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Are you being accurate with your MFP diary? Hard to not lose weight if your calories are in line.
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    When you go to the gym, do you do mostly cardio? Or relatively the same thing every time? A little change in routine would help. Like lifting weights instead or using the elliptical rather than the exercise bike.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I just started MFP about 2 weeks ago, so I'm not expecting results right away - I also hurt myself so wasn't able to do weights for 2 weeks. I do spinning Monday's and Friday's.

I have done some P90X and there was too much equipment required.

Insanity - I've also done, and had, until my f*cking roommate decided to let someone borrow the DVD's and not get them back. So, I'm trying to get my hands on them again so I can do 2 workouts. I just have a dog that likes to lick me while I workout at home (the salt in the sweat, she's weird!) and it's distracting.

When others have done Insanity, did they follow the 'diet' they provided or just stick to their calories on MFP?

I have been sticking to my calories pretty intensly even if I hate it. LOL

I should also mention, I was diagnosed with PCOS - so that may be a factor. Although, I don't let it effect my performance in anyway shape or form.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    What is your diet like? That makes more of a difference for me than exercise.
  • footiechick82
    Options
    Last week, because of pulling my rotator cuff, I used all the machines for variety. 4 different kind of elypticals and the stairmaster for 45 mins doing intervals. My butt was on fire!

This week, my shoulder is feeling better, so I want to spice it up and get my body moving. Today is spinning, I love it too much to miss it.
  • Errrica91
    Errrica91 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I think that "changing of your body" depends on your diet a lot so keep an eye on what your eating and stuff...

But in my opinion you look great so I guess your diet's OK too...

Maybe the gym is the reason "you got stuck"... I don't know if you've been working out at the gym for a long time now or if you're just getting started BUT work-out at the gym is quite different from body-weight exercises (if that's what you did) at home... It takes your muscles to another level...and they might get a little bit "puffy" at first but after few weeks when they get "used" to a different routine they get lean and toned again...

That's what happened to me when I got a gym membership...but...talk to your trainer(as I did) and he'll give you the best answer...and I bet he'll help you w/ your work-out too:) It's quite hard to give a piece of advice if we don't know your current work-out routine:)
  • footiechick82
    Options
    What is your diet like? That makes more of a difference for me than exercise.

Generally healthy. I love my junk, but I minimize that to a treat day - or none. My junk is baby food or a handful of chocolate. People at work think I'm 'too healthy' and blame me for taking up room in the fridge with all of my produce. Look at my 'food diary' it's open.
  • footiechick82
    Options
    I think that "changing of your body" depends on your diet a lot so keep an eye on what your eating and stuff...

But in my opinion you look great so I guess your diet's OK too...

Maybe the gym is the reason "you got stuck"... I don't know if you've been working out at the gym for a long time now or if you're just getting started BUT work-out at the gym is quite different from body-weight exercises (if that's what you did) at home... It takes your muscles to another level...and they might get a little bit "puffy" at first but after few weeks when they get "used" to a different routine they get lean and toned again...

That's what happened to me when I got a gym membership...but...talk to your trainer(as I did) and he'll give you the best answer...and I bet he'll help you w/ your work-out too:) It's quite hard to give a piece of advice if we don't know your current work-out routine:)

I've been going to the gym regularly for just over 3 years. My food intake is pretty good. I keep within my calories and when I am able to eat a bit more, i generally fill up on nuts or something with high healthy fats. A change is definitely required. I know, I just need ideas :)
  • FullOfWinToo
    Options
    lifting heavy. you can get some serious work done in 45 minutes. Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women or stronglifts.com

Good luck to you!

Calorie deficit by dieting and/or cardio to lose fat .... but to look good in a bikini, you'll want to lift weights ^^
    Here's another thread to consider http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners

And this is a great lunchtime workout.... mine is 35-45 min depending on how busy the gym is.
  • ukstarlight05
    Options
    I try to vary the amount of time and speed I am on the treadmill every few days (in a sense I change it up between interval training vs distance), and then some days I give myself more time for weight training/strengthening and less cardio. Also, you can try cutting out grains and increasing protein intake. For example, I LOVE my oatmeal at work but since I cut out my daily oatmeal snack and substituted it with a hard-boiled egg I was able to lose a few pounds and have been maintaining my weight.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5X5 fit perfectly for you.

1. You will see results as they are part of the program (progressively increasing weight)
    2. You will gain some muscle which will help look better
    3. It fits perfectly with the amount of time you have
    4. You already have a gym membership

ENGAGE!
  • footiechick82
    Options
    Stronglifts 5X5 fit perfectly for you.

1. You will see results as they are part of the program (progressively increasing weight)
    2. You will gain some muscle which will help look better
    3. It fits perfectly with the amount of time you have
    4. You already have a gym membership

ENGAGE!

5X5 meaning doing reps of 5 at a high weight with 5 different muscle groups?

exp:

5 squats
    5 bicep curls
    5 lunges
    5 dead lifts
    5 chest press

???
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Lifting. 30 minutes.
  • isa474
    isa474 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would also reevaluate your calorie intake and what your actually eating. Up your protein to carb intake. Protein helps with weight loss
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is a specific program. Find it here: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Oh, and ignore the writing targeted at men. It's for women, too.