cut out exercise, weight loss nearly doubled??

Options
I have not been to the gym or done any type of intentional exercise since the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Before that, I was going to the gym about 4x a week, working out for an hour or so each time. My workouts consisted mainly of c25k on the treadmill and the elliptical. I would occasionally use the arc trainer, and I would do circuit training once a week. So that's pretty much all cardio.

When I was going to the gym I was eating about 1600 calories a day, with my net usually being around 1200. I drank about 12 glasses of water a day.

Now that I am not doing any intentional exercise (i work on my feet about 30 hrs a week so i do get some exercise from that, but nothing that i log) I am eating about 1400 calories a day and drinking about 8 glasses of water.

My weight loss has averaged almost 2 lbs a week...until I stopped going to the gym. My loss after Thanksgiving (I weigh on Monday's) was a little over 2 lbs and then this week I lost 3.4 lbs.

Now, I'm not complaining about this; it puts me a lot closer to my New Year's goal of being in onederland, BUT these results aren't exactly giving me motivation to go back to the gym. Especially since work is crazy right now and I have a bunch of major projects due as it is finals time.

Is there some sort of scientific explanation for this? Obviously I'm not building muscle right now like I was at the gym, but with how little strength training I was doing when I was at the gym (circuit training once a week) i cant imagine that is the sole explanation. I would think that with my net being 1400 a day now as opposed to 1200 a day when I was working out the weight loss would've slowed, not increased???

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Your body has stopped storing as much water as it doesn't need to consistently repair your muscles. It's quite common. Also, you exercise for health reasons. A stronger heart, less lean body mass lost, the ability to eat more calories and the ability to sustain long term success. People who exercise are something like 5x (IIRC) more likely to maintain a weight over the years. Also, fat loss is greater with exercise (especially one heavy in weight training)
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Your net calories of 1200 a day was too low. Your new net of 1400 a day is more in line with your body's needs.

Basically, your previous exercise was too aggressive given the calorie allowance. When you exercise significantly more than you fuel your body for, it tends to attempt to conserve energy, assuming things are in dire straights.

You could have benefited similarly by eating more.

Water weight will also play a roll, as initially you'll lose some or even retain some. It is never cut and dry on what water will do.

To really know whats going on, you have to monitor over several weeks, not just a single week.
  • dunlunicor
    dunlunicor Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find that if you keep it up without the exercise, it will slow down quite a bit after a few weeks - you're shedding water stored in your muscles during exercise.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Your body has stopped storing as much water as it doesn't need to consistently repair your muscles. It's quite common. Also, you exercise for health reasons. A stronger heart, less lean body mass lost, the ability to eat more calories and the ability to sustain long term success. People who exercise are something like 5x (IIRC) more likely to maintain a weight over the years. Also, fat loss is greater with exercise (especially one heavy in weight training)

Yes, exactly. You didn't lose 3+lbs of fat this week, it was just extra water weight and it would only be temporary. Had the same thing happen when I took a 1.5 week break from the gym. As soon as I started exercising it went back on. No big deal, it's just water.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Pics or it didnt happen! :devil:
  • psuLemon
    Options

Yes, exactly. You didn't lose 3+lbs of fat this week, it was just extra water weight and it would only be temporary. Had the same thing happen when I took a 1.5 week break from the gym. As soon as I started exercising it went back on. No big deal, it's just water.

In fact, this is how I suggest to break a plateau. Taking 2 weeks off of exercise and set account to maintain to reset your hormones and remove imbalances. Works every time.
  • ashleyoh33
    ashleyoh33 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Your net calories of 1200 a day was too low. Your new net of 1400 a day is more in line with your body's needs.

Basically, your previous exercise was too aggressive given the calorie allowance. When you exercise significantly more than you fuel your body for, it tends to attempt to conserve energy, assuming things are in dire straights.

Thank you! I don't plan on never going back to the gym. But it probably won't happen for at least another week or so, after all of my finals are over with. If my loss isn't where I want it when I start back up, I will consider upping my calories to make my net closer to 1400 and see if that helps. I'll also try not to be too discouraged if my loss slows for a couple weeks when I return to the gym.
  • Bcliff3027
    Options
    Maybe this isn't a popular thought but it is what I am following.. I tried for years to lose weight and haven't been successful. I've worked out at the 1,000 calories an hour rate and 3 times a week still no weight loss and ate right. Now, I just follow the apps caloric intake suggestion.. no working out and I am loosing about the amount of weight you are or more. I have not worked out in over 4 months so my weight loss has not been due to water weight and I don't believe yours is either.

A friend of mine I work with and I started a diet 10 months ago at the same time. I worked out and he didn't, in fact he refused to. He is SKINNY now. I think he went on the diet for too long because I think he looks too skinny. We stopped the diet around the same time. I will admit I did put on muscle and my clothes did fit better but my overall weight didn't change much and that was my goal. I wanted to take the weight off of my joints and feet. If you want my opinion continue dieting without working out until it stops working. After that, let some of these "experts" give you some advice. I am beginning to think all of these so called experts are why I hadn't lost weight for all of these years. I know it wasn't due to a lack of effort.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Thank you! I don't plan on never going back to the gym. But it probably won't happen for at least another week or so, after all of my finals are over with. If my loss isn't where I want it when I start back up, I will consider upping my calories to make my net closer to 1400 and see if that helps. I'll also try not to be too discouraged if my loss slows for a couple weeks when I return to the gym.

Keep in mind the closer to a normal weight, the slower it will happen.
  • Cougar7279
    Options
    I agree with the first couple comments you received before mine...i.e. water weight and too low of caloric intake. Your Basic Metabolic Rate should be around 1500 or so. That's if you laid in bed all the time. Your Net should not fall below your BMI as a general rule... But especially when exercising regularly... This is NOT The Biggest Loser, and you don't have an entire team of professionals monitoring every aspect of your life! Eat right, get a good balance of cardio and strength training, and be patient. It will pay big, long term dividends!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Maybe this isn't a popular thought but it is what I am following.. I tried for years to lose weight and haven't been successful. I've worked out at the 1,000 calories an hour rate and 3 times a week still no weight loss and ate right. Now, I just follow the apps caloric intake suggestion.. no working out and I am loosing about the amount of weight you are or more. I have not worked out in over 4 months so my weight loss has not been due to water weight and I don't believe yours is either.

A friend of mine I work with and I started a diet 10 months ago at the same time. I worked out and he didn't, in fact he refused to. He is SKINNY now. I think he went on the diet for too long because I think he looks too skinny. We stopped the diet around the same time. I will admit I did put on muscle and my clothes did fit better but my overall weight didn't change much and that was my goal. I wanted to take the weight off of my joints and feet. If you want my opinion continue dieting without working out until it stops working. After that, let some of these "experts" give you some advice. I am beginning to think all of these so called experts are why I hadn't lost weight for all of these years. I know it wasn't due to a lack of effort.

You have to keep in mind that when you exercise, you need to eat more calories. So if you lose 2 lbs a week at 1400 calories with no exercise, if you exercise and burn 500 calories, you need to eat 1900 calories. There is no reason to wait to start exercise as you health benefits will increase. You probably didn't see weight loss while exercise because you under ate, so your body was fighting you. Also, if you were not eating enough and not gaining weight, you were not building any type of new lean body mass. You can't create matter without energy. I can almost bet you, to confirm what Dana stated, if she ate more during her training, she would see similar loss in weight.
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hi

This happens to me after the first time I finished 30 Day Shred. I had lost a bit during it, but most of the loss came at the end, or during rest days (I exercised five, rested two days per week). It's just your body catching up with itself, shedding water. You've probably also built a bit of muscle with the exercise and now your metabolism is a bit quicker.

That said, I notice I lose more consistently watching my intake and exercising gently and calmly, though intensely. Some people are very sensitive to coritisol (stress hormone) and you can cause yourself self stress if you don't exercise with the proper form or eat enough whilst in a heavy exercise phase. Maybe netting 1200 wasn't enough to keep you in the calm zone.
  • chnkysoup
    chnkysoup Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This is so strange because I didn't lose an ounce until I stopped working out as well. I haven't worked out in two weeks and have lost 5 lbs. I didn't use to hate working out in my teens/early 20's because it worked! Or maybe I just didn't need to improve all that much. But unfortunately I have an aversion to it now because I was working so hard (walk/jogging 3-4 miles 4 x per week) and nothing was budging. HOWEVER, I do believe that you must work out, you need to replace fat with muscle. I just need to get motivated to do it!
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I've been having the SAME problem! I lost about 20 lbs keeping a strict 1400/day, working out 4+ days a week, in a short amount of time. Shortly thereafter, I started developing GI issues that have been diagnosed as gluten intolerance and malabsorption issues. Meanwhile, I haven't been to the gym, lost a few more lb's and am maintaining with minimal to zero effort. I have NO desire to work out anymore! IDK how to get back on the bandwagon! :sad:
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You've lost water weight, which your body was storing to help repair your muscles. This always happens to me as well. If your goal is a number on the scale then this works. If you're looking to get trim and defined, you'll need to keep up the work out routine. I always think some level of exercise is needed however to maintain a healthy heart.
  • lisasosweet
    lisasosweet Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The same exact thing happened to me. Havent been to gym in about 3-4 weeks. Losing 2-4 lbs a week. Same calrie intake about 1400.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    the gym makes me hungrier, so i eat more. i read that when you workout often, sometimes your body makes you feel hungry even when you are not really in need of food...
    "In the short term, during or right after a workout, exercise may suppress hunger," says Barry Braun, PhD, professor of kinesi­ology and director of the Energy Metabolism Laboratory at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst. "But later that day, your hunger hormones can surge, making you want to eat. At the same time, your body's satiety hormones -- the ones that signal that you're full -- may decrease."
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/weight-loss/eating-help/control-cravings/control-your-post-workout-appetite/
  • chickidoo1121
    chickidoo1121 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This is very interesting. Thank for the post. I had the same thing first part of this year. I was walking and eating right but with little results. So, I really watched what I ate and drank. I lost the first 15-20 lbs by just doing that but when I started a zumba class it knocked off another 10lbs. I believe it is the combo of diet and exercise. :smile:
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    bump
  • Danielle817
    Danielle817 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bump