Not Losing Weight

Options
This is my second week, I haven't lost any weight this week and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm 5'4 and 172lb and looking to lose 52lb. I'm sedentary and really don't do much, so MFP has set my net calorie intake to 1,200 calories. When I exercise I burn about 300 calories, and then I eat 1,350-1,500 calories. Some days my net comes out a little below, like 1,183 calories, but that's it. For the week I was 49 net calories over my goal.

I've been lifting weights, so I may be gaining muscle weight? Other than that, I have no clue why I haven't lost. I feel so discouraged! Help please?

Replies

• judymata
    judymata Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Alot of times we lose inches before we see the weight on the scale. I would recommend some cardio and not as much weights. Good luck!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    If MFP has you set at 1200 calories, it is very likely you have set your weight loss weekly goal too ambitiously and should change it.

Lifting weights will cause a decent amount of water retention, as will any exercise.

You are after fat loss more so than weight loss. You've likely lost fat while gaining some water that has hidden the loss.
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Took me about 3 or 4 weeks to see the numbers change, don't fret about it and it will happen.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to be able to give you an answer.

Weight loss doesn't happen at a steady rate, unfortunately. Some weeks you may not have lost an ounce, other weeks you may drop 3 pounds.

Some things to consider would be the sources you are getting your calories from. Do you eat out a lot? Do you eat mostly frutis and veggies, lean meats?

Sodium really affects my weight fluctuations, so I make sure to keep my water intake higher if I have had a lot of sodium. Most prepared foods are loaded in it, so I do my own cooking/baking as often as I can.

Start tracking your measurements. If you are weight training, you may be losing inches but that doesn't necessarily translate into pounds going down.

Try upping your calories to a 1lb per week loss, my body seems happier on that calorie deficit then it does on a strict 1200 calories.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    How are you figuring your cal burn? I'm doing the 30 Day Shred and that's only 247. When I was doing home weight lifting, general excercise it was only 90 cals for 60 minutes.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you don't lose right away. With lifting weights your body will hold onto water to repair the muscles however with you just starting and eating so little it won't be actual muscle gain just yet.

Try eating a bit more. Set your weight loss goal (if you haven't already) to 1 to 1.5lbs per week. Or work out your TDEE and go from there.

Other things to check on would be are you drinking enough water, getting enough fiber, limiting your sodium and processed foods?

The main part of weight loss is diet.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    This is my second week, I haven't lost any weight this week and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm 5'4 and 172lb and looking to lose 52lb. I'm sedentary and really don't do much, so MFP has set my net calorie intake to 1,200 calories. When I exercise I burn about 300 calories, and then I eat 1,350-1,500 calories. Some days my net comes out a little below, like 1,183 calories, but that's it. For the week I was 49 net calories over my goal.

I've been lifting weights, so I may be gaining muscle weight? Other than that, I have no clue why I haven't lost. I feel so discouraged! Help please?

I'm 5'4" and 215 with a goal weight of 150. I recently increased my daily calorie goal to 1900. I'm 38 and have a desk job, but after tracking for five months, I realized that the "lightly active" category fit, even on days that I do not exercise. I have been averaging 2-3 pounds per week, so that's partly why I increased my calories a bit. In this way, I should have a deficit of 500/day instead of 1000. Sedentary does NOT mean "really don't do much." Sedentary means you don't do ANYthing at all. Like, you don't even cook dinner or clean your house or ever leave the house.

Rest assured that you have not gained any muscle. First, it's only been two weeks. Second, it's possible that you have placed too much stress on your body by having a calorie deficit that is too high.

My advice is to change your activity level to "lightly active" and set it to lose 1.5 pounds per week. Then eat at that level for a full month before making any changes.
  • vcuellar007
    Options
    I think the lowest in calories MFP says you should consume is 1200 when in reality you have to be way under that.(unless you are going to be putting in some serious workouts) I went on a site called healthyweight fourm.org and put in my weight/height/sex/ how much i wanted to lose and a time frame and it breaks down the weeks and tells you how much to consume per week. It also advises you when your caloric intake is low. MFP tells me to consume 1200 a day but the other website says between 600-700 depending what week im in. I still use MFP to keep track of my caloric intake but use the HWF to guide me on how many calories I should intake per week. Hope that helps. I know its not healthy to consume under 1200 cals but it seems to be working. MFP started me off close to 1700 and then slowly dropped. When my weight loss slowed down I did some research and thats what I came up with. Hope that helps!
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi There... My top advice is to be patient! I started MFP in February and by April I had gained 6 pounds. :(

but then I got serious and really worked hard to log everything and I found the more accurate I was with logging the more I saw areas I needed to clean up (eliminate bananas, butter, nuts and crackers) and eat more vegetables. Also increased my cardio as I already did allot of weights. Now down over 50 from my original starting point and waist has gone from 44" to 36".

Weight lifting can add muscle which is awesome as it muscle burns up more calories then fat does. But it takes ALLOT IF TIME to add muscle weight. Maybe after 6 monhts you might be 4 lbs of muscle heavier but even 2 lbs after 6 months is good progress for most woman.

I think taking measurements and tracking them at the most 1x a week would be good. If your inches go down that will tell you that your losing fat.

But my main advice is this takes a LONG time so please try and be patient. Also during the holiday season just maintaining your weight is a victory.

Good Luck!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think the lowest in calories MFP says you should consume is 1200 when in reality you have to be way under that.(unless you are going to be putting in some serious workouts) I went on a site called healthyweight fourm.org and put in my weight/height/sex/ how much i wanted to lose and a time frame and it breaks down the weeks and tells you how much to consume per week. It also advises you when your caloric intake is low. MFP tells me to consume 1200 a day but the other website says between 600-700 depending what week im in. I still use MFP to keep track of my caloric intake but use the HWF to guide me on how many calories I should intake per week. Hope that helps. I know its not healthy to consume under 1200 cals but it seems to be working. MFP started me off close to 1700 and then slowly dropped. When my weight loss slowed down I did some research and thats what I came up with. Hope that helps!

Wow! I wonder how I dropped 50 pounds in five months at 1800 calories then?
    /sarcasm

Personally, I would rather lose fat than muscle/organ tissue/bone density and I prefer to have healthy hair and nails. But whatever floats your boat. :flowerforyou:
  • Vaisaxena
    Vaisaxena Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You are on the right track - most new dieters experience the "whoosh" effect within the first few weeks. You will see a sudden decrease in weight (water+fat) usually followed by a refeed (cheat-day). Make sure you are incorporating a cheat day every 1-2 weeks where you eat above maintenance.

Contrary to popular belief, cardio+diet does not lead you to lose fat any faster than weight lifting+diet. Contrary to some of the advice you have been given, DO NOT STOP lifting weights if you value your metabolism in the long run. In fact, excessive cardio combined with very few calories may be leading to excess cortisol which inhibits weight loss in extreme cases.

Also - don't neglect protein... for your goal weight, you should aim for 120g/day.

Good luck.
  • DreamingRealist
    DreamingRealist Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, that helps a lot! I'm going to give it more time. I'm trying to lose 1lb-1.5lb a week. I think I'll up my net calories a bit to make sure I'm getting the calories I need. I'm doing the 30 Day Shred everyday which apparently burns 168 calories and cardio on most days. The good thing is, I feel a lot fitter since starting this, and I'd rather be strong and fit and see a slower weight loss than be weak and see a fast one.
  • now_or_never12
    Options
    Thanks everyone, that helps a lot! I'm going to give it more time. I'm trying to lose 1lb-1.5lb a week. I think I'll up my net calories a bit to make sure I'm getting the calories I need. I'm doing the 30 Day Shred everyday which apparently burns 168 calories and cardio on most days. The good thing is, I feel a lot fitter since starting this, and I'd rather be strong and fit and see a slower weight loss than be weak and see a fast one.

Keep in mind that with the 30 day shred people don't always see weight loss on the scale but they see the measurements change instead.

Also, weigh in after a rest day to truly see a change. When you workout your muscles retain water which could cause the scale not to show any change in weight.
  • acogg
    Options
    That's great! Slow and steady is healthier and more likely to stay off. And everyone is correct, the weight will come off on it's own schedule. I can lose 5lbs. in a week, stall for a week, gain a pound, suddenly lose three, etc. It's more like a zigzagging graph where you want to see an overall downward trend. Good luck on the Shred, it's a lot of hard work, but it will pay off with a more fit and healthier you.
  • JoseJYoung
    Options
    Keep in mind that with the 30 day shred people don't always see weight loss on the scale but they see the measurements change instead.

Also, weigh in after a rest day to truly see a change. When you workout your muscles retain water which could cause the scale not to show any change in weight.

Sorry I don't want to "hijack" the thread but how can I have a flat ab within 1 month? I have tried with tummy shaker but not sure this can take effect after 30 days...
    Just seen a website offering "belly fat in just 15 days". Sounds so sweet; just wondering whether it is possible...
  • now_or_never12
    Options

Sorry I don't want to "hijack" the thread but how can I have a flat ab within 1 month? I have tried with tummy shaker but not sure this can take effect after 30 days...
    Just seen a website offering "belly fat in just 15 days". Sounds so sweet; just wondering whether it is possible...

Unfortunately it is hard to get flab abs. You need to have a lower body fat % to get it. As most say, abs are made in the kitchen. It is mainly about diet. You can't spot reduce fat anywhere on the body so a website offerieng belly fat reduction is making false claims. Most ab exercises work on the muscle however if there is still a layer of fat over the muscle abs won't be flat.

Keep a small deficit and eat really well. Focues on a mix of strength training and cardio.... Depending on how much fat you still have on your body having a flat stomach in 30 days may not happen
  • acogg
    Options
    Unfortunately it is hard to get flab abs.

Not for me it wasn't. The flab abs came easy, didn't have to do a darn thing. LOL