low-carb ideas and help!

So i've been doing low-carb for about a month now, and still haven't cheated... but it's getting to the point where i'm bored eating the same things every day:( i've been trying new things with eggs and chicken and started making sugar-free jello when i need something sweet (YUM!) but i was wondering if anyone else had any idea or personal experience with it?
:) thanks!

Replies

• horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    My bf and I do a sort-of low carb diet... basically we just cut out bread and pasta and try not to eat too much gluten, but we're really not very strict about it. :) There's a LOT of variety you can eat without wheat... for breakfast I usually have a quinoa porridge with almond milk and fruit, or a protein smoothie. Lunch is when I tend to eat more carbs, but on good days we have lentils with tuna and tomato sauce, or black beans with avocado and cilantro and tali sauce. Dinners are pretty easy, we make a green smoothie that has all our veggies (cucumber, celery, avocado, apple, parsley, spinach, ginger, turmeric) and I usually make a meat-based main dish +/- more veggies on the side depending on how hungry we are. Tonight, we're having meatballs with mashed potatoes (a little carby). Tomorrow will be pork tenderloin rubbed with garam masala on top of baked pumpkin with vindaloo sauce. I get a lot of my recipes from Pinterest and Foodgawker, and just modify them to not include the gluten-containing items. Good luck!
  • thanks!:) if you have any AWESOME pins on pinterest you should post them, that's where i've been looking a lot too! i just found a low carb pizza recipe... SO excited to try!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    I follow a low-carb lifestyle due to diabetes and some food intolerances. I also love to cook and am addicted to Pinterest :-)
    Here's my low-carb board...the recipes are either low-carb or I've pinned them thinking I can modify them
    http://pinterest.com/kdipiazz/nutritious-noms/ Those marked TNT KKD are certified delicious
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Not being a Pinterest user how do I get the recipes
  • Here are some of my recent meals :)

Chicken Salad Lettuce wraps made with avacado instead of mayo
    359bqko.jpg

Gortons Haddok and Artichokes&Asparagus
    2gu0dxz.jpg

One of my new favs! Curry Turkey Meatballs (made with apple and onion!) SO GOOD! would be great with spaghetti squash and a little sauce :)
    2jfb1id.jpg

Boneless, skinless chicken breast cut up and cooked with fajita seasoning, mixed with tomato and broccoli 28i9bvn.jpg
  • this was my snack today: Tomato slices with organic red lettuce topped with tuna mixed with avacado.

21cc7q0.jpg
  • debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    Those photos are making me hungry! Yummy!

Here are a couple blogs dedicated to LC cooking/recipes:

peaceloveandlowcarb.blogspot.com

http://mariahealth.blogspot.nl/

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/

There are so many great recipes out there. I'm always trying new things! And the nice part is that my family likes a lot of the things I've been trying, like the lasagna on Peace Love and Low Carb...OMG sooooo good!
  • JaceyMarieS
    Not being a Pinterest user how do I get the recipes

You don't need to be a user. Copy and paste the link (since i don't know how to make it clickable)
    My Pinterest board will come up.
    Click on anything that looks interesting and the single Pin will come up.
    Click on the picture and the original website of the recipe will open in a new window.
  • JaceyMarieS

Here are a couple blogs dedicated to LC cooking/recipes:

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/

I've tried a couple of things from this one. Her jalapeno cauliflower muffins are DIVINE. I even rolled (well, patted) the dough out and used it as a base for taco salads. Very flavorful!
  • So i've been doing low-carb for about a month now, and still haven't cheated... but it's getting to the point where i'm bored eating the same things every day:( i've been trying new things with eggs and chicken and started making sugar-free jello when i need something sweet (YUM!) but i was wondering if anyone else had any idea or personal experience with it?
    :) thanks!

Personally my biggest hurdle was getting over 'needing something sweet'. I have broken down three times since August and had a sweet ... I am pretty proud of myself ... and frankly I no longer feel like I am missing anything at all. Out of sight, out of mind. Once I made that hurdle, the low carb eating has been much easier. So my idea and personal experience is just stop trying to work the sweets in (if you have a issue with sweets like I did) and you may find that low carbing it is much easier overall! Just a thought. (I am MAINLY meat and veggies - pretty strict.)
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Use Spaghetti Squash in the same way you would use pasta.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    bumping for later. :)
  • horseplaypen
    Here are some of my recent meals :)

Chicken Salad Lettuce wraps made with avacado instead of mayo

Those look SO good - reminds me of another meal that I haven't made in a while... taco-less tacos! I cook up some ground turkey with chili powder and paprika, make some fresh pico de gallo guacamole, and cook some black beans and sprinkle with cheese. Three piles on a plate that all get mixed up, you don't even miss the taco shell!

I also use http://www.bonappetit.com/ to look for meat and fish-based mains, with our green drink (or a salad) it makes a great meal!
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    even i also want a low carb diet ........ my diet consist of wheat , finger millet which are quite high in carbs ,,,,,,,,, with what can i replace these carbs ....... tried out lettuse instead of tortillas but is not easily available in our area.... any advice
  • horseplaypen
    sometimes you don't have to replace carbs, just drop them out entirely and eat more vegetables and protein in its place. For example, if you're used to having a sandwich for lunch, just leave out the bread - roll up some cold cuts, have some slices of cheese, and cucumber/carrot sticks... you don't need the bread to hold it together! Put your tuna salad in a bowl instead of between bread. The only thing we've replaced is spaghetti squash for pasta, as a previous poster mentioned, because I love bolognese sauce. Other than that, breads and pasta aren't as critical as you think! If you have tacos or tortillas, just put your filling in a bowl and mix it together like this:
    http://torontogirlwest.com/2011/05/tali-sauce-and-whole-bowl-recipemy-homemade-version/
  • dmwells3
    dmwells3 Posts: 42 Member
    Bump for later.
  • summaryzn
    summaryzn Posts: 113 Member
    bump for later