Yoga for Dummies?

Options
I'm getting interested in Yoga. I meditate to control asthma and it works very well for me. I'm doing cardio and weights but feel like something is missing and would like to try it.

So I'm standing in front of the info board outside the health food store and it has flyers for, like, 200 different types of Yoga!!! (Okay, I'm exaggerating, but you get my drift). I don't know what to pick or what it means? Hatha? Bikram? Iyengar? I don't know what any of these mean and I don't want to spend money taking a class that isn't suitable. I also don't want to injure myself trying to put my ankles behind my ears :embarassed: I'm still at 210, so it's not like I'm uber-flexible or anything. I'm feeling very overwhelmed and that maybe this isn't for me, but I don't want to give up on the idea just yet.

Any info/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• frenchfoodlover
    Options
    I'm getting interested in Yoga. I meditate to control asthma and it works very well for me. I'm doing cardio and weights but feel like something is missing and would like to try it.

So I'm standing in front of the info board outside the health food store and it has flyers for, like, 200 different types of Yoga!!! (Okay, I'm exaggerating, but you get my drift). I don't know what to pick or what it means? Hatha? Bikram? Iyengar? I don't know what any of these mean and I don't want to spend money taking a class that isn't suitable. I also don't want to injure myself trying to put my ankles behind my ears :embarassed: I'm still at 210, so it's not like I'm uber-flexible or anything. I'm feeling very overwhelmed and that maybe this isn't for me, but I don't want to give up on the idea just yet.

Any info/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :flowerforyou:
  • delanahub
    delanahub Posts: 56
    Options
    I am a yoga teacher and spening money to take all the different types of classes is money well, spent, think of how much money you have spent on crap food you put in your body! The only way to find the style of yoga that is right for you is by trying, there is no right or perfect answer. Everyone who practices yoga likes what they do best, but we all found our way through trial and error. Good luck and enjoy the journey.
  • lolakey
    lolakey Posts: 91
    Options
    I recommend starting with a hatha class, but It all really depends on the instructor. I have had some amazing instructors and some not-so-amazing ones.

A good instructor will tell you to listen to your body and will give you alternative postures.

Good luck.
    Namaste
  • frenchfoodlover
    Options
    Does your size matter? I mean, if I bend over, my belly meets my thighs pretty quickly at this point!
  • jrubenstein
    Options
    I've have a lot of medical issues and have been a yoga gypsy in my town, looking for the right fit. I suggest you make some phone calls and ask to speak to the teachers of the beginner classes; tell them your concerns; and ask them specifically how they deal with cautious newcomers--you may feel a rapport with someone after the conversation.

Many places have a free first class, or let you pay by the class, so you can go one time and see if you like how they handle things. Most important is to listen to yourself and not feel peer-pressured into trying a pose you're not comfortable with. I tell the instuctors flat out that I have multiple issues and that I know they will understand if I only do what I feel I can. I've had a range of reactions, some spend so much time tellling me not to feel badly that I can't do something that they make me feel badly! Some places are more competitive than others. It has taken some time, but I have found a few places I like, and it has been well worth the effort of looking and trying places. I never feel as good as when I've just completed a yoga class. I don't go as regularly as I'd like, schedules being what they are, but I've taken physical and mental teachings from the classes that help me through until I can get to another class.

Go for it! And don't be discouraged if you don't like the first one or two--like you said, there are many out there to try--and remember--everyone was a beginner once. Don't be self-conscious--people are worrying about their own poses and not about what you can or cannot do.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Size shouldn't matter with the right teacher. Ok here are some definitions:
    Ashtanga, Iyengar, and I believe Vinyasa are all types of Hatha yoga - Kundalini, and some others, are separate

Ashtanga - also called power yoga - a type of yoga that is more cardio than most - sun salutations are a big part of this type of yoga - the are forms (much like Karate) that you follow in most classes

Bikram - hot yoga - a type of ashtanga yoga where the room is over 95 degrees. Some people swear by it

Iyengar - is for the perfectionist - it focuses on each pose and how to be in the exact right form. Classes can be exacting to a fault but props (blocks, straps, etc) are encouraged to perfect your form

Vinyasa - think of moving from one pose to the next without taking breaks - I've never taken a vinyasa class, so I'm not too familiar

Kundalini - very focused on the breath - people who enjoy mediation, enjoy this class

Anusara yoga - the type I do, is not that well known, but is about finding the goodness in everyone - it's very light-hearted and laughing is encouraged. If you can find one of these classes, they will be the most accepting, IMHO, of your body type.

Your size will effect your ability - but that is true for everyone. I'm short, so some poses are easier, some harder.

The most important aspect of trying yoga is finding the right teacher. Good luck. You could always rent some videos from the library and get an idea what you like.

Anyone - please correct me if I'm wrong on the yoga styles.
  • sewtoday123
    sewtoday123 Posts: 33
    Options
    I like to do yoga and Tai Chi. I have to sort of adjust how I do the workout because of my fused ankle. There are certain types of stretches I am unable to do, but I adjust. I love to do Tai Chi. I learned to do Tai Chi from CDs. Well worth the $$$$ let me tell you
  • frenchfoodlover
    Options
    thanks for the definitions it really helped. I've decided to try Kundalini as the breathing is appealing with being asthmatic. My first class is Sunday and I'll post back on how it goes. Thanks for the info!
  • frenchfoodlover
    Options
    Okay guys - here's my review - I had my first Kundalini yoga class today and it was definitely different. Lots of breathing and some chanting (which I thought was weird at first, but I was trying to be open minded - I'm not religious at all but I do consider myself spiritual so I went with it.)

I came out feeling relaxed and if anyone has any lung issues - this is definitely for you. I can see how this type of yoga could improve my lung capacity tremendously. And, I'm very proud to say, I was able to do all of the poses (okay, so I had to open my legs while kneeling to get my head to the floor because my belly got in the way :tongue: ) but you know what! It felt great so who cares!!!!! This may not be the type of yoga for everyone but for me it was a great place to start. :flowerforyou:
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    is it a asthma issue or an anxiety issue?
  • sarakenna1
    sarakenna1 Posts: 261
    Options
    Yay, I'm happy for you! Keep it up and I promise you will be more relaxed and your posture and balance will improve dramatically. You should feel energized and excited after a class, but also feel like you have had a good work out. :heart:
  • frenchfoodlover
    Options
    Asthma is definitely the trigger - however anxiety occurs when I'm having an asthma attack for sure.