Weight loss and the elliptical

Options
Has anyone lost a lot of weight using an elliptical as their primary form of cardio exercise?

Replies

• PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I lost 67 pounds with the elliptical being my main form of exercise. However, I still wasn't totally happy with how I looked-- but I was in the size 2/4 at that point, so i couldn't complain too much.
  • joe_d
    joe_d Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I lost about 20 pounds while doing most of my exercise on an elliptical doing interval training supplemented with walking on non-workout days. Since then I've gone back to doing kettlebells on alternate days for strength training. And just last week I started on the rowing machine for some of my cardio minutes just to change things up a bit (again, doing high intensity intervals).

That said, I've read that food intake is by far the most important thing to work on to lose weight--with some folks claiming that it's responsible for 80% or more of what you lose. And really, weight loss is about being in a calorie deficit, so in theory limiting what you eat without adding any exercise would do the job. But exercise is good for a lot of reasons (heart healthiness, better blood chemistry, muscle tone, etc., etc.) besides just helping with your calorie deficit.
  • Scottb4857
    Scottb4857 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When I was on this journey ten years ago the elliptical was my best friend - about 50 pounds mainly through it. Of course did weight training at the same time to maintain LBM. This time back to the elliptical (fortunate to have a good one at home now) and have dropped 13 in the last 3-4 weeks. Diet of course is a huge factor but have already noticed huge increase in daily energy and resting pulse rate back in the low 50's range (my normal) instead of the mid 60's it had been climbing into.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I do strength training for 30 minutes per day, but I love cardio for the calorie burn plus other benefits. I primarily use the elliptical machine for cardio. Sometimes running or cycling, but the elliptical is my "go to" machine.

I personally have to be careful that I challenge myself enough while on the elliptical. I make sure to put the resistance up or move faster. I find that sometimes I can "zone out" when on the elliptical if I am not paying attention and can cheat myself out of getting good exercise for the time that I am putting in. I check my heart rate to make sure that I am staying in the aerobic zone. I've lost almost 60 pounds, so it seems to work for me.

Good luck. I think you need to find something that you will actually do. I hate the treadmill, so I will only do 30 minutes on it max. I love the elliptical and can stay on that for 90 minutes at a stretch. It's all about being active in whatever way works for your lifestyle.
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I am a pretty avid runner, and I do a lot of strength training and circuit training as well. There are also some days that I do the elliptical to give my knees some rest. I have already lost 60lbs doing this, and I have 15-20 more to go to hit my goal weight. I have a HRM and that has definitely put my elliptical use into perspective and helped me keep up the intensity. I used to do solely the elliptical, and then when I started running the pounds came off like CRAZY so I made the switch. I just feel like for some reason the elliptical is tricking me, because I find it to be a LOT easier than running. IDK...haha
  • joe_d
    joe_d Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You're right! I did a little comparison reading on the "best" cardio exercise (of course, the real answer is the best one is the one you enjoy doing and will work the hardest on), but running pretty much gets top recommendations. The elliptical stores up momentum to smooth things out, so yes, it is easier than running. The tradeoff is that it's easier on your joints. Years ago I used to bike (a real bike, not a stationary one) for cardio, and with the hills and trying to keep a decent pace, it really bothered my knees. The elliptical had never been a problem for me, and by varying resistance, incline, and speed, it's possible to get a decent interval workout.

I wish I had the discipline to run. I've never really gotten into it, and in the climate where I live you have to be pretty dedicated to run outside in the long, cold winter. And I think I'd go nuts using the indoor track at the gym.

Congrats on your weight loss! To get as far as you've gotten, you've really got it together.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    7 days a week

setting at either 8 or 10

burns about 700-770 calories for the hour i do it.

so far i am doing alright with it
  • Hadunka
    Hadunka Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yes. Me. During 50 days I have lost 20 pounds. Level 8 - 10 for 60 minutes + 5 minutes cool down. About 700 burnt calories. 6-7 times a week.