When to switch from weight loss to maintaince goals?

Options
Okay. So I'm currently trying to figure out what I want and where I need to be with this whole weight loss/ healthy lifestyle. I've been following this site and using it to count calories and track exercise for about 5 months now. I've lost around 25/27 pounds. I went from a size 12/14 jean to a size 6/8. I notice significant differences in my life such as being able to walk up 6 flights of stairs without stopping to catch my breath, noticeable bigger calf and bicep muscles, and even my leisure walking pace has increased.

I begun developing obessive eating disorder like thinking and behaviors a few weeks ago with the addition of some major stressors into my life and have somewhat reevaluated everything as a result.

I guess I'm looking for feedback as to when others have known when to switch from weight loss goals to weight maintaince. I'm still technically on the higher side of the BMI (24.6) . I however have a body fat percentage in the athletic range (22.3%). I'm wearing a size 6 or 8 jean.

Due to self esteem issues, I always see a distorted image of myself. Therefore, I'll always think I need to loose a little more weight or tone my stomach just a bit more. So, when is enough enough?

How have others handled figuring out their maintaince point and accepting it?

Replies

• h_eloise86
    h_eloise86 Posts: 124
    Options
    I would just to find a weight that you like but is also healthy.
    For example, when I plug in my height and weight into the BMI calculator on this site
    it tells me that I should be anywhere between 121lbs and 160lbs.
    I'm figuring i'll try for 140lbs so I can have some cushion room either way.
    Good luck to you :)
  • jdcole67
    jdcole67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think you should discuss this with your physician...they know the most (hopefully!) about everything you are dealing with (and if they don't - tell them!) and should be able to guide you in settling on what will be a healthy weight for you to maintain...my own discussions have led me to believe that guides like the BMI are too generic for everyone (a 6 foot tall athlete at 240 pounds would be considered obese even with a body fat measure of 15-20%); that being said, you really should consult a physician and come to an agreement on what is best for YOU...good luck!
  • amyfritz
    amyfritz Posts: 33
    Options
    I very much agree with talking with your doctor. As for the BMI, really its an old unreliable form of looking at your weight. I would go with body fat, and your percentage sounds ok. If you are starting to have some obsessive thoughts maybe it would not be a bad idea to switch to maintenance.

Also great job on your weight loss so far, thats a great accomplishment:smile:
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    In my humble opinion people rely too much on the BMI. It doesn't really take into account muscle density and bone structure. . It's just not accurate. (See JD's comment) If you're in a healthy range with your body fat percentage and you're happy where you are. Start maintenance. Continue your workouts etc... and if your body wants you to shed those last couple pounds it will happen. Don't stress it... you've done a great job so far. If you want to keep pushing- get a professional opinion before you drop too low... Getting below 18% body fat for a woman can screw with your cycle.

Best of Luck
    :flowerforyou:
  • KajunDC
    KajunDC Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to start shifting now into a more maintenance mode for a while. Continue to exercise and evaluate how you feel and look in a couple of months. If at that time you feel like your weight is not where you want, then you could always shift back into weight loss at that time. By continuing to exercise though you can continue to alter your body without changing your overall weight.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,982 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: When I got to what I thought would be a good weight, I added 50 calories a day for about a week to see how I felt and then I added 50 more until I got comfortable......I kept up my exercise........I didn't add any food that wasn't healthy (maintenance doesn't mean going back to ice cream, pizza, and beer :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ) and I keep an eye on my weight to make sure it stays where I want it.

Congratulations:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: