My weight shifts 10 pounds every 2 days ..

Options
I could use some insight on what is happening to me. One day I weigh 121 pounds and then the next time i weigh myself i'm at 133 pounds. I weigh myself every other day and this has been happening for about 2 months now. I have hashimoto's disease which causes my hypothyroidism. I drink plenty of water and I don't binge eat. I weigh myself right when I wake up. I take nature thyroid for my hypothyroidism and have been taking the same amount for 6 months. I am 23 yrs old and I have had hypothyroidism for about ten years and have always been chubby but now that i'm down to my skinny weight i'm am seeing these large fluctuations in my weight. I wish I could figure out what is going on the only thing I can guess is my digestive system is off kilter. Any tips would be of some help!

Replies

• Monicapierce
    Monicapierce Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Wierd... only things I can think of is water weight, although it seems like 10 pounds is a bit much for water weight, or your scale is off.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I would think it's something wrong with the scale. If it is going up and down the same 10lbs every few days it is most likely the scale you are weighing yourself on.

Check the batteries and replace them if they are older. Is the scale on the same spot of the floor each time you weigh? Are you wearing the same clothing and weighing under the same circumstances each day? If the scale is on carpet or a floor that is not fully level it won't give an accurate read. If it is moved, hit and used a lot that will affect how accurate it is as well.

Also, if you are eating a lot of sodium that may cause it as well.

Try putting something of a known weight on the scale and see how it reads. Try a hand weight if you have one and see if there is a difference. If there is, change the battery and try again. If it still reads off you need a new scale.
  • swiftfox82
    Options
    my scale is new and it had a body fat calc. and is in the same spot every time
  • now_or_never12
    Options
    my scale is new and it had a body fat calc. and is in the same spot every time

Something could be wrong with the scale even if it is new.

Is it a digital scale? Or the dial one? If it is dial make sure it's always set to 0 before you step on. If it's digital there are a lot of things that could be wrong with it. If it is moved a lot or hit a lot it will affect how accurate it is.
  • swiftfox82
    Options
    the clothes I wear when i weigh myself are usually about a pound
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I am not much help on it, but last week after 3 high sodium days I ended up "gaining" 7lbs overnight the one day and it freaked me out but I took my messurements and they were all the same or lower so I didn't really worry. If you messurements are the same and the scale is the only thing saying different I wouldn't worry too much. But if you are going to the dr for follow ups or anything with your meds maybe bring it up with them just to see. I have migraine meds that cause some silly side effects, you never know.
  • swiftfox82
    Options
    yeah my scale is digital and it hits zero before I step on and i even checked it next to my wii fit scale and it was similar
  • now_or_never12
    Options
    Is the scale on carpet? Or a floor that is not completely level?

If it's not on carpet, and on a floor that is completely level and not moved constantly or hit constantly there is something wrong with it most likely.

If the weight changes have been happening consistantly I doubt it's diet related.

Try weighing a free weight on the scale and see if it reads the amount of the weight. If it doesn't, change the battery or get a new scale.
  • swiftfox82
    Options
    my digestion is outrageously slow for my age, but it seems a bit much for just a digestion problem
  • swiftfox82
    Options
    my scale is always on wood floor
  • swiftfox82
    Options
    my husband also uses the same scale and his weight doesn't shift like mine does
  • now_or_never12
    Options
    my scale is always on wood floor

Try weighing a free weight or something of a known weight to test the accuracy of the scale itself.

A wood floor can still not be level... so one thing to check. A scale being on a surface that is even slightly not level will read incorrect.
  • swiftfox82
    Options
    my scale is working fine it measures other weight accurately and I do notice the weight change on my body
  • now_or_never12
    Options
    If you have tested the scale by weighing a known weight than you need to look at your diet first. Are you eating too much sodium on certain days? Not drinking enough water? Not consuming enough fiber and water on a daily basis? Are you working out heavily the day before it weighs higher? Are you weighing in different clothing? When you weigh have you gone to the bathroom first one day and not the other? Have you eaten or drank anything one day that you didn't before weighing on another day?

If all those things are done right it should have an accurate weight. If it doesn't a trip to the doctors may be in order to see why it is happening. Sometimes it does take a few days for what you eat, do in a day to show up on the scale. Try weighing once a week and see if the changes happen than. Our bodies do naturally fluctuate day to day. I can weight as much as 10 lbs more or less on any given day just due to the natural changes. Hormone changes can affect the scale a lot as well.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Even on a wood floor my scale can vary a lot. I can put it in 3 different places and get 3 different weights. I had to find a spot in my room where I could leave it and not have to move it each time.
  • now_or_never12
    Options
    Even on a wood floor my scale can vary a lot. I can put it in 3 different places and get 3 different weights. I had to find a spot in my room where I could leave it and not have to move it each time.

That's exactly what I have to do as well. My scale still reads off by 0.6lbs but I account for that when I weight myself.
  • chuckerickson1130
    Options
    I have this exact issue and have recgonized that sodium (or should say HIGH sodium) meals cause this issue. I have also found that the next few days after a heavy weigh-in results in many trips to the restroom. I distinctly remembering got to the restroom every 30-45 one day...went home....weighed 12 lbs. less than I did the day before.... Water is a vicious enemy... :-)
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Are you noticing that you feel particularly bloated when the scale is jumping up, or do you feel relatively the same?

If you feel relatively the same, it's probably just how you are weighing. I have learned that where I place my feet on the scale can greatly effect the reading. Some scales are worse about this than others. I had one that was fairly new and it would vary by 20! lbs depending on if I stood more to the front or more to the back of the scale. You could test this by weighing in multiple times at the same time and varying where you stand on the scale.