Is 20min a day enough?

Options
I started 30 day shred a couple of days ago, and i was just wanting some opinions on if I should add something else to my day. Doing that dvd once a day doesnt seem like a lot? should I add 30 mins of my elliptical trainer too? can you work out too much? any advice would be great.

Replies

• anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I do not know what 30 Day Shred is like and I'm not a trainer; but I do some cardio on lifting days when I feel good. If you feel up to it, I don't see a problem doing some elliptical work.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I actually would only do the 30DS 3 times a week. It's not really meant to be a daily workout. If it's easy for you, you should go up a level.

I personally aim for working out 5 times a week, 45 min. to 1.5 hours each time. If you're just starting, I'd shoot for 4 days a week 30 to 45 minutes a day.
  • robinr515
    Options
    I've been doing the 30DS on top of my normal workout. If you can handle it, go for it.
  • brittany103
    brittany103 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    When I did the 30 DS I did it every day, but a few times a week I added in other cardio as well. I would go on how you feel, if your too tired and sore then you should probably rest, but if you feel like you can do more than definitely go for it. Just make sure if you feel sore to rest your muscles.
  • fitterguy
    Options
    Shredding on an eliptical trainer? Shredding cheese, maybe. Intensity too low. Crank it up with HIIT? Fastest way to burn fat without sacrificing muscle.

20 mins at the right intensity is all you need.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't do the 30DS more than 2-3 times a week and only walk on other days. Twenty minutes a day is plenty, but I wouldn't do the 30DS every day.
  • BoricuaGabe
    Options
    People always fear over training. It really is hard to over train. Here are the symptoms of overtraining

Washed-out feeling, tired, drained, lack of energy
    Mild leg soreness, general aches and pains
    Pain in muscles and joints
    Sudden drop in performance
    Insomnia
    Headaches
    Decreased immunity (increased number of colds, and sore throats)
    Decrease in training capacity / intensity
    Moodiness and irritability
    Depression
    Loss of enthusiasm for the sport
    Decreased appetite
    Increased incidence of injuries.
    A compulsive need to exercise

So unless you are experiencing any of those things, you most likely aren't over training. You aren't working out too much.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    20 minutes is better than no minutes.
  • Feebee4
    Feebee4 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That's whats so brilliant about 30DS 20 mins is enough to see fantastic body changes. Combine it with healthy eating and you may not lose weight but you will lose inches! If you are finding it too easy just use heavier weights. nothings stopping you adding some cardio at the end but its just great to know that 20 mins is enough because anyone can do a 20 min workout. I did it everyday. Love it!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Usually takes me 33-97 seconds, but hey I'm rusty.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I do 30 DS 3 times a week and strength training on the machines at the gym the other 3 days, with one day of rest. I'm relatively new to working out but I'm seeing great results so far.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If your diet is right 0mins/day is enough.
  • MoonSapphire
    MoonSapphire Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Shredding on an eliptical trainer? Shredding cheese, maybe. Intensity too low. Crank it up with HIIT? Fastest way to burn fat without sacrificing muscle.

20 mins at the right intensity is all you need.

Thank you, I went to look that up on youtube and found a video that I think will help me and its only 11mins.
  • lrob100
    lrob100 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    For me personally, 20 min was not nearly enough. I started with the 30DS but did not lose a lot of weight until I really really increased my exercise time and intensity. As I lost more weight and got in better shape I was able to do this. 20 min might be ok for a start, but not for long in my opinion. You just can't burn enough calories in that amount of time for significant ongoing weight loss (at least I couldn't). I know everyone is different.
  • geekpryncess
    geekpryncess Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    20 minutes is better than no minutes.

Agree :)
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I did that for 40 days and really enjoyed it. HOWEVER, I did't lose a single pound even though I was still staying within my calorie allowance BUT I noticed a definite firming up and my strength increased dramatically. SO in answer to your question, I would advise that maybe you need to do something else. Good luck! x
  • RunningMom42
    RunningMom42 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    30 DS is not enough for me. I do it 2-3 times a week and usually run 5K on the same day. The other days I do longer DVDs like Biggest Loser Boot Camp or Biggest Loser Cardio Max. I *heart* Bob Harper!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If your diet is right 0mins/day is enough.

This.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I actually would only do the 30DS 3 times a week. It's not really meant to be a daily workout. If it's easy for you, you should go up a level.

HUH??? If each of the three levels is done for 10 days, then you have to do it EVERY day for it to be a 30-DAY shred. I'm pretty sure it IS meant to be a daily workout for 30 days in a row. (I've been wrong before but...)
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I am doing another program in addition to the 30 DS. It works out to about an hour and a half to two hours a day.