Winter Blues?

Options
I live in Alberta, Canada eh (heehee)...our winters are awful and the days are so short. Everyday (mon-fri) is a struggle to get out of bed, I get up at the last minute. I like the idea of getting up early, having a coffee, getting my son ready for school but then I keep hitting snooze and JUST WANT TO SLEEP all day and then I'm grumpy cause I would rather be at home, sleeping all day (not in reality cause I would get bored as heck). It's not that I don't like my job because I do.

Does anyone have any ideas in how to get moving on the cold winter mornings?

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm in alberta too, and this winter has kicked me in the *kitten*. It snowed WAY to early, and last year was barely winter so i feel ripped off lol. I haven't really done much to combat the need to hibernate. I wish I would get up super early and lounge around until I have to get ready for work, but now that my child is self sufficient in the morning, I don't get up until i absolutely have to. I don't even have enough motivation to go to the gym 3 days a week. I did a paper in University on SADDS, I even wrote about how to help yourself with things like tanning or "happy" lights. But I don't do any of it. I curl up on the couch with a hot cup of tea and a book, and pray I make it until 9:00pm so I can go to bed. They say to exercise, tan, sit infront of florescent lights first thing in the morning, take vitamin D supplements, etc...but it's hard to do that when your dragging your butt.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Is this only the case in the winters? Do you find it a struggle to get out of bed the rest of the year? If not, what motivates you to get up? And what specifically is it about this time of year that keeps you in bed?
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    As soon as my alarm goes off, I think about something that will happen that day that will make me happy. Like, going to ballet class that night, being excited about my lunch that day (seriously....grab at anything you got!), going shopping after work, or even looking forward to something like "only 3 more days until a party", etc.

I know how it is though. Dark when the alarm goes off, and dark when I leave the window-less office.
  • Charmed285
    Charmed285 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I sometime's forget it's winter, it's so hot out and I'm not even in Florida
    come to the states, you'll warm right up, heck you'll probably miss the cold
    I'm wearing a tank today, so needless to say it's hot out here
  • orangelobster
    Options
    Keeping hitting "snooze"? I put my alarm clock on the other side of the room - I have to get out of bed to turn it off. That usually works....
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m6h9z2YZjX1rwcc6bo1_250.gif

will power - thats all you can do :(
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Out in ottawa I find it hard to get up and go to classes sometimes, especially knowing they're only 1h30min and I could be using that time warmed up in my dorm room in bed! Just have to self motivate and deal with the good old Canadian winters :ohwell:
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    As soon as my alarm goes off, I think about something that will happen that day that will make me happy. Like, going to ballet class that night, being excited about my lunch that day (seriously....grab at anything you got!), going shopping after work, or even looking forward to something like "only 3 more days until a party", etc.

I know how it is though. Dark when the alarm goes off, and dark when I leave the window-less office.

I agree with this- maybe plan things that make you look forward to your day- especially things that get you out of the house. That helps me a lot when I get depressed in the winter. Do crafts if you have time, go out with friends, catch a movie... Also, my Mom has one of those sunlight lamps that help her feel better.
  • javajinny
    Options
    I'm the same way. The best thing I've done to make myself get out of bed is turn on the light (there's one within easy reach while still in bed). That helps.

A lot of people get the winter blues. The UV in sunlight actually causes a chemical reaction inside of our bodies that makes our bodies produce more of the hormones that make us happy (I don't remember all the scientific jargon, but you could Google it if you're interested). So the best thing for the Winter Blues is to get more sunlight, like taking lunch outside. I know it's hard when it's cold, but it is good for you. Doctors are even prescribing sunlamps to people with depression (even seasonal depression like the winter blues) to help get them more UV exposure. I looked into this topic a few years ago because I get the winter blues myself. I try to spend as much time outside as I can on the weekends (hard to during the week with work and keeping up with the house and dinner and everyday life) and I've found over the last couple of years that I do a lot better. Hope this helps!
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I am in southern Ontario. I have recently replaced my usual alarm tone with an upbeat song. So far, so good.
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Load up on vitamin D. Get a good quality supplement and start taking like 5000 IU a day... there have been lots of studies on this, and Canadians, in particular are seriously lacking in D.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I am in Calgary, and I will not be much help cause I just LOVE winter and all that it has to offer...days like today when there is a fresh blanket of snow covering all the trees, the sky is blue and the sun is out yet it is too cold for the snow to melt...it just fills my heart with so much joy....

anyone want to go sledding hit me up
  • rlpa
    rlpa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You may have Seasonal Affective Disorder. No big deal in it's mild state. I have an alarm that simulates the sunrise - it (and a weekly B-12 shot) has cured me of the problem you describe.
    There are many of these lamps out there - for example the Soleil Sun Alarm Clock Radio.
  • whiskeysister510
    whiskeysister510 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm in Seattle and struggle with the same problem! My husband gets up before I do and he turns on the light in the bedroom for me, which helps. We have our thermostat and coffee maker on timers, so the house is warm and the coffee is brewed when I wake up. I also play music while I'm getting ready for work, which helps boost my mood and energy level a bit on those dark, gloomy mornings. And I take a Vitamin D supplement all winter. However, you might have Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). It’s very common in northern regions. Check with a doctor and see if there’s more you can be doing—like the Happy Lights people have already mentioned here. Good luck!
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Sounds like SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). I get it yearly. Vitamin D3 helps. I usually start taking it at the beginning of October. St John's Wort also helps. If it's severe, talk to your Doctor. Exercise also helps, as well as direct sunlight. I know the last thing you want to do during cold weather is go outside, but that's one of the single biggest things that will help. While sitting in the sun inside also helps, it's not as effective. But it's a good alternative.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    You might benefit from some light therapy for seasonal affective disorder.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I take 5000iu of D3 each morning.

I'm not as far north as you, but being above the 45th parallel is a lot different than where I grew up in Southern Cal. Here in the Pacific NW we don't see the sun much for about nine months, and it can really get to you. The D3 really made a difference for me.

edited cuz I said B3 instead of D3
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thank you for some really great ideas. It helps to know I'm not the only one that suffers with this problem. I will up my D3 to 5000 (right now is 3000 every few days) and yes, maybe setting my alarm clock on the other side of the room will get my butt out of bed. :o) Also, I forgot but a few years ago someone made a comment that they thought I had sleep apnia...I should probably look into that as I might not be getting the good sleep I think I am.