Drinking Beer/Alcohol

Options
Ok so my question is is it ok to drink beer on days I have extra calories? I enjoy having a beer or two on some evenings, but I have heard that its not good for you while you are trying to lose weight, because of the carbs in it and that it has no nutrients. But when I have had a good eating day sometimes I just want a beer! :) A friend of mine who is an Herbalife consultant told me that drinking a beer at the end of day is equivalent to ruining my whole day, but I just can't see that since I had the extra calories anyway. So what does everyone think?

Replies

• eandrsmom
    Options
    Personally, an adult beverage at the end of the day saves me (and my children) from a very unpleasant evening from time to time. My thought is if you have the calories, then enjoy. And some days, even if you don't have the calories.....just saying.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it if you have the calories available, really. And there are "less" bad mixed drinks or alcohol you can have. I went to a Movember fundraiser last week and had 2 vodka-tonics for less than 250 calories.

Someone posted this helpful link before Thanksgiving: http://getdrunknotfat.com/
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I know plenty of people who shun alcohol entirely but for me if it fits within my calories requirements and doesn't deprive me of being able to also fit in sufficient protein, then I don't see the problem with it. Too many people out there screaming that this or that is so bad for us that we have to cut it out entirely with very little science to back up those claims. Just keep it moderate.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    A drink does no harm, just log the calories as you go. Some on here have a glass or two of wine every day and just factor it in

I have the odd pint or three of beer and just clock them in & move on
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Drinking a beer is not going to ruin your whole day. I have been known to put in extra time/miles to have the calorie budget for a few.

Have beer if the calories won't put you over your goals.

Hooray Beer!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It's not a problem. I finish off the day with a good craft beer every day and have been doing this for a year and a half. Just be aware that good beer tends to come with a very high caloric content.
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Here are some reasons why beer is good for you: http://www.forbes.com/2008/03/14/beer-drink-health-forbeslife-cx_avd_0317health.html

A calorie is a calorie. Sure, you want most of your calories to come from healthy foods so you'll have energy and be overall healthy, but the fact is that you can lose weight eating junk food and drinking beer as long as you don't go over your daily calorie limit. Again, the goal is to be healthy. But a beer or glass of wine every once in a while isn't bad. It can actually be good for you.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Moderate alcohol consumption like you're talking about is fine.

Getting plastered once a week won't do you any favors.
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I like this article better than the last one I posted: http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/10-surprising-health-benefits-beer
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Any food item if it works into your daily count should be decided upon by you... You know what you enjoy and if you feel you are depriving yourself you are doomed to failure. With that said... I am approaching my 25th anniversary of sobriety and would recommend going on the wagon for anyone. There is nothing redeeming for you except for the moment of taste and the dulling of your senses. Perhaps a nice piece of fruit or something else would be a better use of your calories. At the end of the day count everything and make the best choices you can...
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    First of all, a beer or two (if you have the calories) is NOT the same as ruining your whole day. Alcohol is empty calories, sure, so choose to eat healthy and enjoy what you have left. I wouldn't regularly "save" calories for alcohol, but don't feel like you'll ruin your progress after a drink.

I have friends who drink regularly and still lose weight. For me, I choose to limit my consumption. I go a month or two without a drink on a regular basis, and that works for me. Don't fall prey to the all-or-nothing mindset that's so common. All things in moderation.
    28848 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    lewcompton

Thanks for your honesty and input. I think you have a valid point. I do enjoy wine frequently but agree that it really has no redeeming value for me past the initial enjoyment.

Thanks again.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    A couple beers on occasion are fine, if you have the cals to spare. I have had no trouble losing the weight while indulging in a beer or two on a Fri or Sat evening. I'm not sure my grill even works without an opened beer next to it. :)

Most people say a drink or two and don't actually stick to that.... that's the real issue most times.
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I agree with the PP. If you have the extra calories for a nice beverage, why not? :drinker:
  • brittany103
    brittany103 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've lost all of my weight and not once worried about my macros, if I had room for it in my calories I had it. Just about every day I'm over my carbs, maybe I would have lost weight faster with less carbs, but I'd rather eat/drink what I want.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I don't see how drinking one beer would ruin your whole day especially if you have the calories left over for it!
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I guess its not just extra calories.. I read somewhere that people who drink beer alot get fat because your body doesnt get energy from the food you ate or your fat anymore, it first takes it all from the beer. Also, your body doesnt recognize those beer calories, therefore beer munchiesss! I think moderation is key though...Dont cut out everything just to lose weight, just use it in moderation that way it will become a permanent lifestyle change... good luck! :)
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Ohhh! And i also read on a poster at a school "1x drunk ruins 14 training days" or something like that...
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Just from personal experience, weeks I don't drink any alcohol I tend to lose more, even if I had the calories. But we all need to un wind sometimes ;)
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Run a mile, have a beer; repeat