I thought I was doing it right!

Options
Turns out i'm not....can anyone please give me an idea of what I can eat in the late evening hours that isn't a carb and isn't protein,,,i'm getting very frustrated, and i'm freaking starving!! My nutrionist has me on a no carb, no protein after 6p.m thing but I still have to have a snack around 8-9p.m that involves no protein and no carbs. No veggies, no fruit, no pasta, no bread, no chicken, no lettuce, no cheese...what does that leave??? I'm thinking gummy bears and wine gums..lol...I'm a very clean eater, I know how to eat, this is just p**ssing me off now!!! I'm training for a competition and trying to get a little more lean....she gave me two options, 7 almonds or 9 walnuts....seriously???? that does NOTHING!! for my hunger, i'm starting to get irritable and plain out miserable, i'm running on 1100calories right now, and burning around 800-900 with zero permission to eat back any of them....it's not long term but it's competition necessary...so any ideas anyone??? PLEASE!!! before I throw myself in front of a bus! i'm sooo hungry it's insane.

Replies

• TGIBriday83
    TGIBriday83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i have noooo idea. how do you find something that doesn't have a carb or protein. that makes no sense. walnuts and almonds have protein in them. gummy bears have suger... which is a carb. i really have no idea. i think walnuts was suggested because their supposed to act a a hunger inhibitor. some chemical in them makes you feel full. i really dont know though. only thing i can think of is lettuce or celerey. they're mostly water so how many carbs can realy be in them?
  • Beth1978
    Beth1978 Posts: 19
    Options
    What about jell-o? Would that fall into the categories that you can eat at night? It is fat free and you can get the kind that is sugar free. Granted it may not fill you up, but i would think it would give you some gratification for that night-time snack along with the nuts that you can have. Just a thought.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    :sad: I so agree with you, i'm completely lost on this one, and even though nuts are filling 9 walnuts? for real? not exactly filling
  • shortwasp
    shortwasp Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Until the competition is over, you get 7 almonds or 9 walnuts. I have always wanted to compete all my life since I have high muscle mass, but I could never take the starving that competitors go through. I could never take hunger period, hence I'm 60 lbs overweight at age 50. Trying to get it off, but going under 1400 calories kills me. Good luck with competition. One competitor said right after the event is over, she eats a big peanut butter and jelly sandwich since that is what she craves.
  • becky23
    becky23 Posts: 60
    Options
    and why can't you have vegetables? celery, lettuce, broccoli... none of those are protein or carbs!
  • imagymrat
    Options
    and why can't you have vegetables? celery, lettuce, broccoli... none of those are protein or carbs!

yup, they're carbs :sad: they are low on the carb count, but still carbs, and I can't have them after 6p.m
  • TGIBriday83
    TGIBriday83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i mean really all i can say is to just grin and bear it. your goal is within reach. once its done then you can have your own little pig out party. itll be worth it.
  • imagymrat
    Options
    i mean really all i can say is to just grin and bear it. your goal is within reach. once its done then you can have your own little pig out party. itll be worth it.

I hate to admit that you're right, I only have 8 days to go, because 8 days seems like forever right now, especially when you're hungry:cry:
  • JessicaFB
    JessicaFB Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Can you have any dairy, or is that too many carbs? Or too much protein? Can you have a little of each or none at all? What about celery?
    One thought was lowfat sour cream blended with sugar free jello pudding mix. It's actually quite delicious and can be satisfying. Good luck on your competition.
  • bukozki
    bukozki Posts: 60
    Options
    Coffee and a cigarette.
  • acakeforawife
    Options
    Coffee and a cigarette.

Ha ha ha! And maybe some ice chips. :)

Seriously, though, it sounds like this is a special circumstance, and you'll just have to tough it out. Have hot water with lemon maybe, or herbal tea if you need the distraction. Good luck!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Turns out i'm not....can anyone please give me an idea of what I can eat in the late evening hours that isn't a carb and isn't protein,,,i'm getting very frustrated, and i'm freaking starving!! My nutrionist has me on a no carb, no protein after 6p.m thing but I still have to have a snack around 8-9p.m that involves no protein and no carbs. No veggies, no fruit, no pasta, no bread, no chicken, no lettuce, no cheese...what does that leave??? I'm thinking gummy bears and wine gums..lol...I'm a very clean eater, I know how to eat, this is just p**ssing me off now!!! I'm training for a competition and trying to get a little more lean....she gave me two options, 7 almonds or 9 walnuts....seriously???? that does NOTHING!! for my hunger, i'm starting to get irritable and plain out miserable, i'm running on 1100calories right now, and burning around 800-900 with zero permission to eat back any of them....it's not long term but it's competition necessary...so any ideas anyone??? PLEASE!!! before I throw myself in front of a bus! i'm sooo hungry it's insane.

Well, I would up the protein and the fat. Nuts have protein in them, so the nutritionist is telling you to eat protein and fat............
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    What about sugar free gum for a distraction and a bit of sweet? I find that it helps me get over the hump quite often. Good luck
  • GreenieBean
    Options
    yeah...ice cubes lol

maybe freeze some water with a little squeeze of lemon or lime juice so it's kinda flavored. That's the best I can do lol
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I've heard no carbs for the last meal because it keeps your body from releasing human growth hormone overnight, which prevents you from dropping fat. I haven't heard about the protein thing though. I normally see fat free cottage cheese suggested as a "lean out" evening meal, but I've never leaned out in a competitive way myself.

I've heard the trick of a bunch of water with psyllium husks to fill you up. (Of course this could leave you peeing all night!)
  • marksnet
    marksnet Posts: 11
    Options
    def.. see why no carbs for insulin reasons.. Obviously you know this... but for others carbs make your body produce insulin.. when insulin is in your body guess what? Your storing fat!

The no protein gig doesnt make sense? Protein in itself does not slow the metabo and also causes no fat to be auto stored?

Almonds etc.... are protein and good fats and the good fat causes you to burn bad fat..... go figger!

I bet your level of frustration is not being helped by the No sodium gig for an extended period of time to get your body to pop on stage!!

Jello,,,,, gelatin was a good suggestion.....

I also cant see the harm in extreme fibrous carbs that make your body burn more than they have in them? just some thoughts!

Good Luck!!
  • freedMan
    freedMan Posts: 68
    Options
    drink water! or eat some veggies (carrots or brocolli)
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    A spoonful of butter? :sick:

Good luck for your competition - hope it will be worth all the suffering :flowerforyou:
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Some olive oil...maybe
  • blonide
    blonide Posts: 29
    Options
    I'd suggest Jello, Propel and drinking fluids to help; i use to chew gum, take a bath and drink tons of water then hit hte sack before you realize you are hungry again (I use to get to bed by 9 and up by 5 AM)