This is not working

Options
I have been at this since October 15th, 2012. I have been below my calorie goal all but 2 or 3 times. At first I lost about 20 lbs, then a week with nothing gained or lost, then a week with 4 lbs lost, a week with nothing, then this past week I gained .6 lbs. This is horse S*@$. My clothes are fitting better, and I am wearing some pants I have not been able to in a long time, but I have to see the lbs come off!! The MFP App tells me I should have been 302 lbs by now. I started at 340, and I am now at 316.6 lbs. I am 6 foot tall, 45 years old, male, and get 2100 calories a day.

I lost more weight and a lot quicker on a low carb diet many years ago. However, i really wanted to try this way, eat whatever just stay under your calories diet. Well, it is not happening.

I do have days where I am 400-800 calories below my goal, but I do not want to, or feal like eating just to hit my calories. I know you have to eat your calories, but if its night, whey should I have to eat 500 calories? Makes no sense.

Any ideas?

By the way, I want to get down to 200.

Replies

• NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    If I understand your post, you've lost 24 pounds in about 6 weeks? That seems pretty awesome to me, that's about 4 pounds a week on average.

What I have noticed for myself is that the weight seems to come off in 'chunks', where I will post a 3 pound loss, then no change for a week or two, then another 4 pounds is gone. There's a lot of factors that could impact the number on the scale including water retention from either sodium or sore muscles repairing themselves, as well as bathroom habits. I would not give up, it sounds like you are making great progress. :flowerforyou:
  • KelseyPalmtree
    Options
    Are you looking at your macro goals too, not just calories? MFP isn't going to work if you eat WHATEVER you want all the time. Eating too much sugar, or too many carbs, too much sodium, not enough protein, too much fat, etc is going to hold you back.

What have you been eating lately? Are you eating packaged foods, or fresh produce? Steak or grilled chicken? White bread or wheat? Everything has an affect on your body, and can help or hinder your weight loss.

I've been where you're at, just stuck in a rut as far as the weight loss progress goes. Don't do what I did, and give up for a while and just go back to eating crap and not exercising multiple times a week. Needless to say, that didn't work out well for me. I've just started to get back into it (today, in fact), and am hoping to make better choices and better monitor what food and drinks I put into my body.

If I can, I'll try to help you get over this plateau :)
  • jeffn9
    jeffn9 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as NCchar130; that is, I have days where I'm losing pretty much nada, or get a .5lb gain, and then the next day I'm down 3 lbs. It seems that we hit these ruts and that's where I'm at right now, and have been, for about a week. I've been here once before though, so I know that this cliff, once I get past it, is the largest hurdle to my long term goals.

In short, there are quite a few of us with the same issue, and again 24 lbs in 6 weeks is doing very good overall.

my .02c
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    Hard to say where there is an issue without seeing your diary.

You might not be eating enough.

You might not be meeting your macros (protein and good fats especially)

You may be over estimating your TDEE and or under estimating your BMR.

Do you have any physical issues that my restrict certain activities? Underlying health issues?

To use a coined term I saw on here, you sound 'HANGRY". [Get it hungry and angry.]

Too many potential issues with not enough information on your part to make an educated stab at helping....

PLUS
    Tooo many focus on "Weight" and it really should be about decreasing your Body Fat %, increasing your strength and lean body mass, improving cardiac fitness and improving general overall well-being. Some people will lose a lot initially (mostly water and some fat) after cleaning up their nutrition. But in the long term relative to your activity regime you may be gaining muscle loosing fat and not seeing a change to the scale.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Just do the program!
    - Forget the scale.
    - Use a tape measure
    - Get some exercise
    - Find healthier foods.
    - Use a food scale - that really help.
    - Forget the scale.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If I understand your post, you've lost 24 pounds in about 6 weeks? That seems pretty awesome to me, that's about 4 pounds a week on average.

This... It seems like it's working beautifully... it's just your expectations that are out of whack.

Weight loss is never linear. There'll be times you lose more, times you lose less, times you don't lose at all, and times you gain. If you know you're doing everything right, if your clothes are fitting better and you're making improvements to your health and fitness, you have to ignore those little blips on the scale.

The .6 pounds you "gained" could be a 2 pound loss that's hiding behind a little fluid retention and a giant poop.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I never had losses like you've had but I kept going anyway. It all adds up eventually. I'm curious as to why you think 24lbs. in 6 weeks is not losing? How is your exercising going. Congratulations anyway.
  • MinisterTom
    MinisterTom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Sounds like we have about the same goals and start time. I started October 1st and have lost 42 pounds so far. There was a lull in there, but the key for me was to speed up my metabolism. I wrote a blog entry about what I am doing, and until it quits working, I will continue doing it. You can eat your exact calorie target every week and still gain, as I have learned in the past. It has more to do with metabolism than calories. What you eat will determine your insulin levels and affect your whole system. So, eating the right foods at your calorie goal will speed up your metabolism, and help you lose weight. And as I say in my blog, last 30 days, I have had TGI Fridays, Cold Stone Creamery, Wendy's, Pizza, Burgers and fries.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Tompringle
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Have no idea why you are complaining.....:angry: You lost an average of four lbs a week, your clothes fit better and you are not hungry.....So what is the problem?
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Dude, I totally am in the same boat. I lost 20-25 lbs really quick and the rest is slowly coming off. But come on! your clothes are fitting better. Keep at it! Eventually our bodies will stop fighting us and lose weight.

Change your eating habits slowly. I am up to 6 meals a day with my calories. I eat eveyr 2-3 hours because of evening out my insulin levels. It's a playing of #'s game. You have to change up your cals or what you are eating every once in a while to keep your engine burning.
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself once a week and stay focused on the task at hand. Losing fast does not mean losing permanently! If the low carb diet was the answer you wouldn't be back here years later. Keep your head up and grind it out man. It takes a good amount of time and you must have patience, especially with a goal weight of 200! It will be a long journey and there is no sense getting discouraged so soon after starting. That being said, it is a hundred percent possible. Keep eating well, move around, and relax a little bit
  • AEFidgets
    Options
    Have no idea why you are complaining.....:angry: You lost an average of four lbs a week, your clothes fit better and you are not hungry.....So what is the problem?

^^^ This
  • magresk
    Options
    Try not too focus too much on the numbers :) Remember that muscle weighs more than fat, which may be why you're gaining a few pounds...you're actually gaining muscle, which is a great thing!!

Plus, it's very normal for people to lose a lot of weight at once and then level out. Keep at it :) It'll happen, just not overnight. You can do it!!!
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    You've lost 24 pounds since October and you're upset? You will have weeks where you don't lose and you will have weeks where you gain or lose very little. This isn't magic. Think about how long it took you to put the weight on. Do you really think it's going to come off fast? Be patient and keep being consistent. It will pay off in the end.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you're doing very well and doing it right. You're dropping weight and at the same time not feeling hungry - that's sustainable over the long term and that's what you need. Just keep it up as it takes time. Hang in there!
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options

What I have noticed for myself is that the weight seems to come off in 'chunks', where I will post a 3 pound loss, then no change for a week or two, then another 4 pounds is gone. There's a lot of factors that could impact the number on the scale including water retention from either sodium or sore muscles repairing themselves, as well as bathroom habits. I would not give up, it sounds like you are making great progress. :flowerforyou:

Exactly This^

Learning patience with the scale while staying on plan is the biggest part of this battle. If you get frustrated and quit, you won't be in a better position a few months from now, accept the weight loss even when it is slower than you want. Time flies and you will be at goal before you know it. It is probable that your weight loss will slow more. In my experience, you see the quickest results in the first few weeks. I have lost 93 pounds in 9 1/2 months (I lost over 20 the first month). My diet isn't perfect, but I would say that I've been focused on weight loss the entire 9 1/2 months.

And I agree with you, I wouldn't just eat to meet your calorie goal.

Good luck!
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    maybe add some exercise to your day....if you are not hungry don't eat. Just my 2 cents worth. There are days I don't eat all my calories for the day but I've added exercise to my day and it is paying off . Plus be sure to get your water in daily. Good luck.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    So you've lost 24lbs in a month and a half and you're complaining? Time to reassess your perspective. You lose weight fast in the beginning and then it slows down. That's just the way it is. For example, I'm 1.5 years in and I'm losing maybe 4lbs a month at best now. Weight loss doesn't tend to be linear either. I've gained several pounds in a week before, despite sticking to my goals. It will come back off the week after. Why? Who knows.

Long story short, you're doing fine. Not only fine, but amazing. Be prepared for the loss to slow way down the further you go. Set reasonable goals. You've got 140lbs to lose, budget 2-3 years at the very least. The first month and a half is just the very first step on a long trip.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough. Do some research on how the body works and utilizes different foods for energy so you can be educated about this. MFP is not the only resource, and it puts everyone into a "one size fits all" category. Or you can give up and never lose the weight.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    You've lost a lot of weight in a short time, and you're complaining. Hm.

Weight loss doesn't go in a straight downward line. There are weeks you will lose nothing, weeks you will gain.

Keep at it. Maybe look at eating a bit more - sounds like you are a little low.