Days Where it is Hard to Eat

Options
13»

Replies

• danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I do have some days when I get really busy and forget to eat, or even (gasp!) don't feel much like eating. That's the main reason I still log my food now, to make sure I eat ENOUGH.

I know it's really easy for me to ignore or not get proper hunger signals. I know that "listening to my body" would mean I'd be satisfied eating a couple Butterfingers and calling it a meal, and that listening to my body got me to my high weight at one point in my life, and down to a scary-skinny 102 pounds at another time. My body just isn't all that smart. Thankfully, my brain is smart and knows enough to track my food on MFP.

On the flip side, I also get days when I'm a ravenous beast and want everything in sight. Logging my food helps on those days, too. Just planning my meals with my food diary can help tame the hungries. "Ok, I would KILL for a Krispy Kreme, but we don't have any... but we CAN look forward to having pizza in about 30 minutes."

^ Agree with this 100%

Me, too...right on the money.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I've never had to force myself to eat 1200--never. I wish I had that problem. BUUUT...to help you out, eat more nutrient dense/calorie dense foods....

1) nuts
    2) seeds
    3) pb
    4) avocado
    5) olives
    6) hummus
    7) low fat or higher dairy products (yogurt, cottage cheese, etc)
    8) olive oil
    9) coconut oil
    10) cheese
    11) lower bulk veggies --beets, carrots, sweet potatoes, winter squash
  • fishifishy
    Options
    Not sure how this happens...

Overeat, gain weight. Join MFP. MFP tells you 1200 calories. People say they struggle to eat even that. That they're just 'too full'.

Well, that wasn't the case before when you were overeating, so how are you too full now, eating a fraction of what you were previously? Is it really that you 'feel full' or that, now that you can see the calories, you're too anxious to eat because you know you will have to log it and you're trying to lose weight faster by eating less?

I'm really not understanding how this works out. I'm not trying to be rude and if it comes across that way I apologize.

Processed foods is the cause of my over-eating. Chips, cookies, regular pop, ice cream and chocolate were a daily thing for me, but now that I'm more aware of what I'm putting in my body, I've cut out most of that, and I can get by on WAY less calories.
  • rizzaG
    rizzaG Posts: 110
    Options
    I do get that sometimes, I have to force feed myself to up my calorie to compensate with the amount of workout I do on a regular basis. I'm doing the second round of Insanity and I love to run, some days I combine both.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I WISH I had this problem. I have whole days where the hunger NEVER STOPS. No matter how much water I drink. And I am set to 1550 calories (5'8 and 167 lbs, low activity).
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    It's pretty simple. Listen to your body. If you are hungry eat. If you are not hungry - don't eat.

^^
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I've never had to force myself to eat 1200--never. I wish I had that problem. BUUUT...to help you out, eat more nutrient dense/calorie dense foods....

1) nuts
    2) seeds
    3) pb
    4) avocado
    5) olives
    6) hummus
    7) low fat or higher dairy products (yogurt, cottage cheese, etc)
    8) olive oil
    9) coconut oil
    10) cheese
    11) lower bulk veggies --beets, carrots, sweet potatoes, winter squash

YES - 100% agree. I LOVE Kale and Arugula for high-flavor stand-by veggies. You feel full, but the nutrition quantity per volume is excellent. If you have to tease your palate with scents, try smelling Indian food, spicy things or anything that you really enjoy eating. If you are missing the hunger que, usually smelling a freshly baked cookie or chicken tikka masala gets my palate going, but you may find other things appealing no matter how your stomach is communicating.