Does Water really make a difference?

Curious question.... Does it matter if you drink more than 8 ounces of water a day?

Replies

• athens1000
    athens1000 Posts: 34 Member
    Heres a short article about the benefits of drinking water... I hope this helps!

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/6-reasons-to-drink-water
  • leaffan12
    leaffan12 Posts: 52 Member
    bump
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    I would suggest drinking more than 8 oz of water.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    I seemed to lose more weight when I was drinking 2 liters of water a day, but I'm not sure if it was the water itself or that it's hard to drink that much water and overeat.
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    I've personally found drinking plenty of water to be helpful. I used to drink nothing but soda, juice, milk, and coffee. Now I drink a cup of coffee in the morning, and the rest is pretty much water.

I'm not constantly hungry like I used to be, since dehydration can have symptoms similar to hunger (they did a study, but I don't feel like finding a link right now)
    My "always chapped/cracking lips" are finally healing
    I don't get sick when I workout anymore
    I don't get dizzy when I workout anymore

The list goes on, but those are the most prominent benefits I have personally experienced.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    As much as air does.
  • Really, the amount of water you should be drinking is an ounce for ever 2 lbs you weigh. So, for example, if you weigh 200 lbs, you should be drinking 100 oz. of water a day.

I drink water like it's going out of style. Usually around 15-20 cups a day. Whenever I go a week or two without drinking enough water, I start to gain (or just retain water). Water helps your body flush out toxins and other crap that is NOT good for your body.

So, personally, I think drinking enough water does indeed make a difference.
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Water is the key to life. When we explore other planets, we check to see if there is or ever was water there in order to determine if life could ever hypothetically exist. Water is what keeps everything on this planet alive. Drink it. As much as you can. Enjoy it. Love it.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    I personally never found that drinking lots of water helped with anything. It didn't seem to make me feel more full. It didn't appear to make me lose weight faster.

I drink water when I'm thirsty. I make sure my pee is light yellow to clear-ish. But, I won't force myself to drink extra water that I don't need/want.
  • pamleac
    pamleac Posts: 7 Member
    You should drink half your weight in water every day. A 200 lbs. person should drink 100 oz. of water a day. However, there is water in the fruit you eat that counts. Watermelon is 92% water.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Well, I hear that people should drink 8 glasses of water a day, but then I hear that people should drink 8 glasses of LIQUID a day, like from soup and fruits and stuff. Take from it what you will :)

But water is amazing, it hydrates youy skin, helps the kidneys out with flushing toxins, and other things!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    You need to drink enough not to be dehydrated. If your pee is a light yellow and doesn't smell bad you're fine. Your thirst will let you know when to drink and all fluids count. You get a lot of your fluid needs just from the food you eat, an apple is 85% water.

The only weight loss benefit to drinking excessive water is it makes you feel full and the exercise you get from running to the bathroom constantly. Drinking too much water puts strain on your kidneys and can flush out necessary minerals from your system.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Just drink so your pee is almost clear. Job done.
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    I just listen to my body and drink water or unsweetened tea whenever I am thirsty. I just don't see the point of forcing more liquids down if I am not thirsty..
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    When I drank water, I found I lost more weight. Then I stopped, and so did my weight loss. XD I have to quit drinking here and there because for some reason, it does very bad things to my stomach (sick-wise). So my water drinking is in spurts.
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Water is key for drink replacement. If you train yourself to drink a TON of water you can easily manage to drink very little liquid with calories in it. I've seen a few people in real life not capable of maintaining diets because of blasting over calorie goals with sugar in drinks. 100% juice or otherwise.
  • MissFitee
    MissFitee Posts: 106 Member
    Too much water isn't good either. Water poisoning is very very rare, but it's important to know that it exists(some people tend t ogo over board)..
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    My weight loss literally halts when I don't get enough water. I feel so much better if I drink 10+ cups a day.
  • Amlong1977
    Amlong1977 Posts: 125 Member
    For me, water makes a HUGE difference! I drink a minimum of 12 cups per day (96oz). Not only does it flush you out, it's made huge improvements in my skin. I find that I lose more weight, & if you're eating a lot of sodium it helps with that. The biggest thing is when I'm well hydrated I don't retain water. Retaining water = extra lbs on the scale. I used to drink 5-7 diet sodas a day & now I maybe drink 3 a week. DRINK WATER!!!
  • Its bad to drink way too much water, just like a flower if you give it too much water it will die, and you can die from water because you're drinking more than your body really needs. I dont drink more than 4 bottles of water of 600ml which is are 2 liters of water a day :)