This is not working

Options

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    If I understand your post, you've lost 24 pounds in about 6 weeks? That seems pretty awesome to me, that's about 4 pounds a week on average.

^This. I don't understand the problem. This is working. You're losing much faster than is the average, which is ok, because you're starting off in the 300s, but really, it's plenty quick enough. Weight loss is not linear, and you won't have the same loss every week. "Weight" is also a measure of more than just fat, so it also takes into account fluctuating levels of fluid in your body.

It must seem like you're at the bottom of a huge mountain, but weight loss takes time. You're in this for the long-haul now. No matter how quick you lose it, you also have to maintain it, which is just as hard (if not harder) so digging in and being patient right from the beginning is really going to help you. :flowerforyou:
  • Hellguy76137
    Hellguy76137 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hard to say where there is an issue without seeing your diary.

You might not be eating enough.

You might not be meeting your macros (protein and good fats especially)

You may be over estimating your TDEE and or under estimating your BMR.

Do you have any physical issues that my restrict certain activities? Underlying health issues?

To use a coined term I saw on here, you sound 'HANGRY". [Get it hungry and angry.]

Too many potential issues with not enough information on your part to make an educated stab at helping....

PLUS
    Tooo many focus on "Weight" and it really should be about decreasing your Body Fat %, increasing your strength and lean body mass, improving cardiac fitness and improving general overall well-being. Some people will lose a lot initially (mostly water and some fat) after cleaning up their nutrition. But in the long term relative to your activity regime you may be gaining muscle loosing fat and not seeing a change to the scale.

This is very true information. I agree with everything except the fat. There really is no such thing as healthy fats. I would get a minimal amount only. Let's see the food log. That will help.
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    what are you eating? how much are you exercising? Are you getting enough rest ? All this plays a part...
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    You wrote, "I lost more weight and a lot quicker on a low carb diet many years ago."...

...in the words of Dr Phil, "And how's that working out for you?"

Seriously, you're doing great--you just don't know it yet. Keep up the great work!
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    So you've lost 24lbs in a month and a half and you're complaining? Time to reassess your perspective. You lose weight fast in the beginning and then it slows down. That's just the way it is. For example, I'm 1.5 years in and I'm losing maybe 4lbs a month at best now. Weight loss doesn't tend to be linear either. I've gained several pounds in a week before, despite sticking to my goals. It will come back off the week after. Why? Who knows.

Long story short, you're doing fine. Not only fine, but amazing. Be prepared for the loss to slow way down the further you go. Set reasonable goals. You've got 140lbs to lose, budget 2-3 years at the very least. The first month and a half is just the very first step on a long trip.

^^this!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Yeah. You need to chillax. Water weight can cause false gains. So just breathe and relax cuz 24lbs in 6 weeks IS working dude. It's 24lbs closer to 200 than you were.

A big key to seeing consistent losses instead of very varied weigh ins you've been seeing is dietary consistency. Try to eat most foods that are less apt to cause water absorption - salt, extraneous grains, TAKE OUT. Even when you are under your calorie goals these can cause you to gain temporarily.

Working out is good, but note that when you work out, your muscles will often retain water to repair.

Mostly- focus on the big picture. Commit to 1 week for every lb you want to lose. Tell yourself you'll stick with it until then, off weeks be damned. Settle in though, it's going to be a long journey (it is for everyone).
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    If I understand your post, you've lost 24 pounds in about 6 weeks? That seems pretty awesome to me, that's about 4 pounds a week on average.

This... It seems like it's working beautifully... it's just your expectations that are out of whack.

Weight loss is never linear. There'll be times you lose more, times you lose less, times you don't lose at all, and times you gain. If you know you're doing everything right, if your clothes are fitting better and you're making improvements to your health and fitness, you have to ignore those little blips on the scale.

The .6 pounds you "gained" could be a 2 pound loss that's hiding behind a little fluid retention and a giant poop.

^^ <slow, serious clapping>

It's working perfectly, man...just keep going.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    It IS working. You are a big bloke and did not gain that weight in a month. You have lost a lot already - losing slowly and consistently is the way to go.

Make sure everything is correct in your stats - height / weight / activity level.

And the biggie - funnily enough - you do have to eat to your base target at least - some also advocate eating your exercise calories as well - whatever works - but do try & meet your base target. Plan your day out first and make sure you try & eat plenty in the morning, with snacks along the way - that way you won't feel like you "have" to eat big at night.

I manually reduce my carbs but I am an old sedentary woman :laugh: so don't need them - you could also try reducing your carbs allowance but being a big man in prime of life you probably need the carbs.

Also weights are very good for weight loss - not that I've done it, just read that it works for a lot of people.

Go read some success stories in the forum, see what they have achieved, how they did it.

Stick with it, this is a long train ride to the end of your days, not a holiday from your bad habits! :wink:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    This is very true information. I agree with everything except the fat. There really is no such thing as healthy fats. I would get a minimal amount only. Let's see the food log. That will help.
    You're wrong. Your body needs fat.
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Remember that muscle weighs more than fat...

This is not true..
  • RubyRed8067
    Options
    The scale is only one measure of your WL. The way you feel, the longer you last at the gym, the better your clothes fit all measure how well you're doing. Sometimes, you will plateau. Just make a few changes in your diet (not the same thing every day) and change up the workout schedule, and you'll start back losing again.
  • Sarahcuda
    Options
    Patience!

You didn't gain all this weight in a short time, so we can't expect to lose it in a short time. I completly understand how frusterating it is to see that scale drop, and drop, and drop, and then stop. My numbers didn't really change for 3 months... Just keep doing what you are doing. The number will go down and it will go up. Some days you will retain water more than others and that scale will go up. If you build muscle the scale may go up.

The main point is not to give up. Sometimes we see these great loses at the begining of our journey and it almost feels like our body catches onto our plan and says "oh no you don't!" and then things slow down and stop. That's when most people give up. But if you persever you will succeed! Remember a good goal is 1-2 pounds lost a week. There will be weeks where you only lose .5 lbs and want to throw the scale out the window.

Also... make sure you use a measuring tape and keep track of your measurements... these tend to be more accurate than the scale.

Don't give up! You can do this! This is about a lifestyle change and becoming a new, healthier you. It won't happen over night. It is simple to lose weight, but no one ever said it would be easy!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything except the fat. There really is no such thing as healthy fats. I would get a minimal amount only.

Your brain requires fats to live. That is what is meant by "healthy fats." Have you ever heard of essential fatty acids? They are called essential for a reason. Our bodies can't produce these fats. We need them in our diet.

http://www.fi.edu/learn/brain/fats.html

http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/fats.htm

http://news.floressencetea.com/2011/03/23/fat-diet-essential-fats-brain-nerve-function/

http://www.policymic.com/articles/8673/saturated-fat-is-not-bad-for-your-brain-and-you-ve-been-lied-to/experts
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you're doing great. You will lose a lot inititally and it will slow down, and some months you'll lose more than others.

Personally, I try not to weigh myself too often, perhaps every 2 or 4 weeks, and I take measurements once a month and go by them more than the scales.

I've been losing weight after having my 2nd baby last May (I started properly when she was 7 weeks old, in the July) and I've only lost 51lbs in that time, but 10 inches off my waist, 10 off each thigh and 10 off my hips. I'm more interested in getting back into my old clothes from 10 years ago and I don't really care what i weigh when i get there.

So, don't stress about the scales, get a tape measure, make sure you eat healthily - lots of protein and veg - and get exercising, including strength training.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I have been at this since October 15th, 2012. I have been below my calorie goal all but 2 or 3 times. At first I lost about 20 lbs, then a week with nothing gained or lost, then a week with 4 lbs lost, a week with nothing, then this past week I gained .6 lbs. This is horse S*@$. My clothes are fitting better, and I am wearing some pants I have not been able to in a long time, but I have to see the lbs come off!! The MFP App tells me I should have been 302 lbs by now. I started at 340, and I am now at 316.6 lbs. I am 6 foot tall, 45 years old, male, and get 2100 calories a day.

I lost more weight and a lot quicker on a low carb diet many years ago. However, i really wanted to try this way, eat whatever just stay under your calories diet. Well, it is not happening. I do have days where I am 400-800 calories below my goal, but I do not want to, or feal like eating just to hit my calories. I know you have to eat your calories, but if its night, whey should I have to eat 500 calories? Makes no sense.

Any ideas? By the way, I want to get down to 200.

Credit to you for sticking with it this long! 24 pounds is great progress! I suspect that the computer is using an 'average person'. There is no such thing, as we are all different. Your metabolism is different from mine, and your nutritional needs are different from mine.

The scale is only one measure, as RubyRed said. You'll start feeling better, and more of your clothes will fit better. THAT cannot be measured on any scale. Hang in there!
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You are doing amazing! Don't worry about the ups and downs as long as the general trend is down. I averaged 1.5 pounds a week for five months. Some weeks I only lost 1/2 a pound. As long as you are staying just under your calorie target you really cant go wrong.
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Stay steady - it will work just make sure your calories are made up of the right foods
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I have been at this since October 15th, 2012. I have been below my calorie goal all but 2 or 3 times. At first I lost about 20 lbs, then a week with nothing gained or lost, then a week with 4 lbs lost, a week with nothing, then this past week I gained .6 lbs. This is horse S*@$. My clothes are fitting better, and I am wearing some pants I have not been able to in a long time, but I have to see the lbs come off!! The MFP App tells me I should have been 302 lbs by now. I started at 340, and I am now at 316.6 lbs. I am 6 foot tall, 45 years old, male, and get 2100 calories a day.

I lost more weight and a lot quicker on a low carb diet many years ago. However, i really wanted to try this way, eat whatever just stay under your calories diet. Well, it is not happening.

I do have days where I am 400-800 calories below my goal, but I do not want to, or feal like eating just to hit my calories. I know you have to eat your calories, but if its night, whey should I have to eat 500 calories? Makes no sense.

Any ideas?

By the way, I want to get down to 200.

Honestly, I think your expectations are WAY off. I just did the math. Since October 15th (49 days), you expected that you should be down 38 lbs? That would mean that you should have had a deficit of 2700 calories PER DAY to meet this expected loss. There's really not much chance that you have a 2700 calorie/day deficit when you are eating 2100 calories per day.

Where is MFP projecting this loss for you and telling you you should be at 302? On all of the MFP apps I've used, when I'm done logging for the day, it will tell me that if EVERY day were like today, I would weigh XXX in 5 weeks. That means that if I've had a particularly good day and I'm under goal by a few hundred calories for that day only, then it generally projects an overly optomistic number. On the flip side, when I've had a bad day and eaten over my calorie goals, it has an overly pessimistic number. It's just a projection and cannot control for all of the many variables that will happen in the coming days and weeks.

If you put up some big losses, you are likely going to see some gains along the way. As PP have said, weight loss is not linear. Last week, I had a 5 lb loss and then overnight bounced back up 2.5 lbs. If I didnt' weigh every day, I might not have caught this and just caught the scale on a bad day and thought I maintained or gained when I didn't really.

If you keep logging honestly and tracking everything honestly, you will eventually see losses. They probably aren't going to be as big as they once were or as you would like them to be, but you will eventually see results. Plus, if you keep honestly tracking, you can use this information to back track to figure out how many calories you're really burning in a day and have a better projection of weight loss.
  • Mesi13
    Mesi13 Posts: 10
    Options
    Just do the program!
    - Forget the scale.
    - Use a tape measure
    - Get some exercise
    - Find healthier foods.
    - Use a food scale - that really help.
    - Forget the scale.

This!
  • marissaj16
    Options
    Just a thought...
    When I started this program, it placed me at almost 1700 calories/day (according to the information that I supplied). I was seeing absolutely NO results. I was obviously discouraged and slightly irked. It was my nutritionist that originally told me about MFP, so of course, I yelled at her. She set up my goals so that they were down to 1500 and lowered my sodium intake significantly (high blood pressure). I was seeing maybe 1 lb loss per week. She wasn't happy with that and neither was I. Not to mention that I felt like I was getting more than enough food. So she dropped me down to 1300, and that seemed to do it. I lost 20 lb over the course of a month and I still feel like I am getting enough food. My thoughts? Perhaps talk to a nutritionist... Maybe your numbers aren't exactly right.