Goat Cheese After Taste

Options
penrbrown
penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
What do YOU do to chase away the terrible goat cheese after taste?

I used the stuff for a pizza and it was DIVINE at first and then the after taste hit and I thought I was going to kill myself to stop the horror from continuing. It was that bad.

What's the trick?

Vodka to burn away your sense of taste?
Ketchup? To mask the terrible after taste?
Just don't ever eat the stuff?

Replies

• joeysox
    joeysox Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    this is the reason i dont eat it >< after taste is how bad feet smell lol x
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I keep a fresh pizza base around. After eating goat cheese, you can spit onto it. After a few weeks you've got a nice mozzarella'ey sort of build up. Bit o' prego sauce and you're golden.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    :sad:

I just want cheese!!! And this is the only variety that doesn't make me desperately sick! Surely there must be a way. *ignores Captain's suggestion*
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Goat cheese... but if you don't... then don't eat it... try buying your goat cheese from a local farmer... I generally do... not only cheaper but I've not noticed any after taste
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    sorbet
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I don't know the selection available to you but I have found the Montchevre brand to have very little if any of that aftertaste. It is very mild. And as jr1985 said, if you can get it locally prepared, try that. We also have a goat farm close by that sells cheese and it is also very mild in flavor.
  • craigineson
    craigineson Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of goat.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry hun but goats cheese is revolting. I can never eat it.

For me most cheese tastes like "the farm". My husbands laughs when I say this, but he kinda knows what i'm talking about.

I wonder why cheese makes you sick? Perhaps you are lactose intolerant? I went through a phase where cheese made me feel very ill.

Perhaps try nutritional yeast and a cheese supplement? I know a lot of vegans use this for the cheesy taste.

I would be surprised if fresh mozzarella made you feel the same, have you tried it?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Try a different brand? I've never noticed an aftertaste.
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You could try eating a bit of pickled ginger (the pink kind you eat with sushi to clean your palate between different flavors) it gets rid of aftertastes.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Try a different brand? I've never noticed an aftertaste.

This. And try wine.
  • monkey_la_femme
    monkey_la_femme Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It depends on what variety of goat's cheese you are eating. Fetta and haloumi can have a strong aftertaste, especially when cooked and it could have something to do with it being preserved in brine.

Try mild chevre (not the aged one, just the soft white kind) without ash. It should look a little bit like ricotta and spreads like butter. The taste is much milder and often no salty aftertaste.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    That's the reason I don't like goat cheese. A few years ago I went on a motorcycle tour of several natural farms that made all kinds of organic cheese. I tried to like goat cheese; I wanted to like goat cheese - but I just don't like it. Maybe just try a little bit of a lot of different cheeses until you find something you like that doesn't make you sick. I really liked sheep cheese, but it can be hard to find in stores. I love a good havarti cheese!