lower belly bloat

Options
ok, i have pretty much hit my goal, i exercise, watch my cals and log everything, i keep my sodium under daily and yet my lower belly just seems to stick out all the time ... why? what can i do to reduce it, what can i do about it getting bloated looking? the only time it is flatter is 1st thing in the am, once i eat, out it goes... i look pregnant imo. everywhere else is looking good imo from my weigh loss but this lower belly issue i am having. I have been eating super clean all week and exercising and drinking a ton of h20 and it's still sticking out...

Replies

• newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Pearls? They're tiny little probiotic things that you take daily. I took them a while back and it helped a lot with my digestion and bloating. I stopped taking them because it got better as I got my diet sorted out but now that I'm at my goal weight, I'm in a similar situation to you and will probably start taking them again. It's the same sort of thing in Activia but I found it to be cheaper and I'm not a fan of the taste of Activia. You can get them on Amazon...not sure if local stores carry them.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    There are some medical conditions that cause fluid accumulation in the abdominal cavity. You probably don't have any of them but it might be worth checking out. Hubby had this problem. He was losing weight but his belt was getting tighter. Turns out he has non-hodgkins lymphoma and severe fluid retention is one of the symptoms.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    It's probably just fat you haven't lost yet, do you have a side view picture?
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    well yes i do still have lower belly fat i haven't lost yet. It seems i lost weight everywhere else but there and i pretty much have hit my goal and that is the only place i want to lose from yet... and i know i can't spot reduce so i feel even more stuck. I go through times where i look so bloated, 4 months prego and i am not... even if i were to suck in my gut, it's still there big time. I watch my sodium really well and keep it under as much as i can as i know i do react to sodium easily. I just wonder sometimes why it is so bloated looking and i can't reduce it. oh and this pic was taken on a really good day ;)
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    ok, i have pretty much hit my goal, i exercise, watch my cals and log everything, i keep my sodium under daily and yet my lower belly just seems to stick out all the time ... why? what can i do to reduce it, what can i do about it getting bloated looking? the only time it is flatter is 1st thing in the am, once i eat, out it goes... i look pregnant imo. everywhere else is looking good imo from my weigh loss but this lower belly issue i am having. I have been eating super clean all week and exercising and drinking a ton of h20 and it's still sticking out...

you need to workout ur abs daily, and it will take time, start with cable crunches and ab vaccum they will do magic, and keep dieting a bit moe and u will see great results, u already look amazing and a little bit more efforts wont harm at all
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Part is core strength (which does not mean having a 6-pack, it means actually being strong on the front & oblique abs as well as the upper & lower back), part has to do with foods you eat/drink/consume & the last is genetics.

Sometimes we can't always be the swimsuit model. Start really noticing how foods affect you: for me, dairy, gluten, soy & anything processed messes me up to no extent: to the point I look like I'm about to actually HAVE the baby that I've never had! Since I cut out the foods that affect me adversly, I've noticed a HUGE difference (at least half the "pooch" is gone). There are also different core exercises you can do, not just crunches but things like yoga, can stretch & strengthen those muslces & firm/tighten up the core for better stability & less bloating.
  • lin7604
    Options
    thanks! :) last week i ate super clean and i saw some improvement in the last few days. but even on days i ate super clean, mid afternoon i noticed it puffed right out, so it still makes me think? even like today, i ate super good/ clean and it's there... if i suck it in today, it goes away but as soon as i let it out, BAM 4 months prego,lol... so not sure why? other days sucking it in makes no difference.... but yes i do know i will never have a swimsuit model body, and i do believe genetics is playing a huge roll in my part...* sigh*
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Assuming you have no underlying medical conditions, posture and core strength are key here. Make sure that you are giving adequate attention to all the muscles in your abdomen and lower back, then be sure to stand up straight.

Also, be prepared to realize that pretty much the only people who have absolutely flat bellies are people with nothing in them. People don't typically take ab show off pictures after a meal.
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    thanks! :) last week i ate super clean and i saw some improvement in the last few days. but even on days i ate super clean, mid afternoon i noticed it puffed right out, so it still makes me think? even like today, i ate super good/ clean and it's there... if i suck it in today, it goes away but as soon as i let it out, BAM 4 months prego,lol... so not sure why? other days sucking it in makes no difference.... but yes i do know i will never have a swimsuit model body, and i do believe genetics is playing a huge roll in my part...* sigh*

sorry this is total BS, genetics do not play any role in all this, u need to do some work outs for them and compounds movemenets, do squates deadlift and cable crunches and abb vaccum and u will get results, if u give up now you have lost the fight, but 1 more month can get u what u always wanted so dont give up
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Work on your core strength for sure. If you can hold your core tight all day it won't be a problem.
  • barbiek999
    barbiek999 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Agree with comments above about working core strength and figuring out if you have reactions to some foods. I'm not sure what your definition of "eating clean" means but for instance, I get very bloated from eating wheat so I pretty much don't eat it. Sugar is also a no-no.
  • lin7604
    Options
    well i don't add sugar or salt to anything..i eat veggies, fruit, oatmeal, eggs, chicken, salad,stuff like that. i hardly ever eat anything processed anymore and i try to watch how much bread, pasta, etc i eat in a week. I will make most things homemade, and healthy. to me that is eating clean and healthy.... once in a blue moon i will have a boxed granola bar ( fiber one) and maybe once a week
    ( not always) i will have a sandwich for lunch. cheese and lettuce or a 6 inch turkey sub from subway. I eat yogurt daily as well. i notice even on really light days ( eating lighter foods) i still get the same way, so maybe it is food related? dairy? I know i have been tested for wheat as my son was diagnosed with celiacs disease and all was good there for me.... i don't eat soy b/c i have hypothyroidism

i will work on more core, i am on a new program ( slim in 6 ) and i find there is a lot more core exercises then i ever had in 30ds / rin30... so hopefully that will be helping me :) i will keep at it and see what i can do, if i can narrow down f it is a food issue or just more core exercising alone will help
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    You don't have to show an allergic reaction to be allergic or intollerant to foods. I have Celiac's and am also lactose & soy intollerant. I also need to avoid artificial & processed sugars. I've been slowly cutting out the "junk" and doing a LOT better. Tonight I ate some salsa as I've been craving it for a while, last time I'll do that unless I make my own - didn't take much to stick my belly out to 6 months :laugh:

Feel free to look at my diary - I'm still refining it to my "fit", but the gist is there as to what I eat. If I notice reactions I note them in the comments & keep track. If the reactions are not good, it's buh-bye to that food/drink, etc.
  • autumnwater
    autumnwater Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I also have this issue with bloating. My stomach line can from from around 22' in the morning to 29' at night. I am also relatively light at 100 pounds for 5' 2.5".
    For me, bloating gets really bad when I eat sodium and desserts. I also bloat from drinking water.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    And if you're also trying to reduce bloating like I am, don't hestiate to add me as a friend!
  • violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Autumn: feel free to add me if you'd like. I'm 115, had a pretty flat stomach to begin with, but since trying to up my protein each day my stomach has been bloated almost 24/7. I'm still trying to figure it out, as I am not accustomed to this type of look or feel in my stomach unless I'm on my period.

I can only assume it is a dietary issue as it started just a week or so after I began striving for a higher protein count each day. My weight has not changed, but my stomach constantly looks & feels as if I'm in early pregnancy. :/
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I just saw my Doc today for a physical and mentioned I am constantly, and painfully getting bloated each day. He is testing for celiac and lactose intolerance/allergys.

I think there is a difference between 'bloating' and having excess fat which can be reduced via exercise. For those who are bloated, it is more of an 'internal' issue then muscular.

Good luck ladies!
  • lin7604
    Options
    yup agreed. I also tested for allergies and all good. so i am not sure what it is that makes my tummy pop out so much? it's pretty much daily and i know sodium will do it but the days my sodium intake is low, i still experience it.....
  • Candicejoy1988
    Candicejoy1988 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Have you tried push ups... I really find that they make my core muscles sore, so must be working my tummy muscles.
  • lin7604
    Options
    i sure do, i do them daily with my workout dvd. i find i was at my lowest weight a week ago, in the best shape i have been in and it doesn't matter... i wake up with a flat tummy, 1 hr later, it starts sticking out, by dinner time it's right out there.... i know i still could lose 2 inches off my lower belly but i can't seem to lose any more inches... i think i am at that " my body likes where i am moment".... not sure what else to do to lose the last 2 inches and how to prevent the belly from sticking out daily?
  • Libi_at
    Options
    well i don't add sugar or salt to anything..i eat veggies, fruit, oatmeal, eggs, chicken, salad,stuff like that. i hardly ever eat anything processed anymore and i try to watch how much bread, pasta, etc i eat in a week. I will make most things homemade, and healthy. to me that is eating clean and healthy....

I'd suggest logging the food and results.
    The bloating might come from various fruits, eggs or veggies (e.g. I totally avoid cabbage) as well as from some protein supplements (especially soy based ones turned out to be a no-go for me).