Substitute for rice!

Options
Try Pearl Barley. Its a 1/3 of the calories and soaks up any flavour you add to it.
Discovered this last week :)

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Where can we find it at?
  • DaniellaFitton
    DaniellaFitton Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Well as im in the UK i get it from tesco which is a massive supermarket chain.
    But i suggest just googling it. Google never fails
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Barley is awesome it is cheap, absorbs more water than rice and is much lower on the glycaemic index (gentler on the blood sugar). Do remember pearl barley is not a wholegrain, no fibre or minerals to speak of.
  • soleilxo
    soleilxo Posts: 202
    Options
    barley soup that my mom makes is sooo good :)
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Where can we find it at?

trader joes, jungle jims, etc like that.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a good one too. Look a little weird and tastes bland on its own I find but really good if cook it with broths or add it to like stir fries with sauces etc...
  • DaniellaFitton
    Options
    barley soup that my mom makes is sooo good :)

Soo keen to try it in soup. Do you have a recipe ? :)
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a good one too. Look a little weird and tastes bland on its own I find but really good if cook it with broths or add it to like stir fries with sauces etc...

I love, love, love Quinoa! It looks like those little styrofoam balls that fill up bean bag chairs - before it's cooked, not after. I too make mine with chicken stock or beef stock - whatever I have on hand. I also make my own stocks to control sodium and other unnecessary chemicals. You can season it up, add some tomoto and onion, whatever you like to season it up. I had some the other night with with peas and cauliflower smash like potatoes. Yummo!
  • DaniellaFitton
    Options
    Might have to try this Quinoa ! thanks guys. Also The other amazing thing about pearl barley is that it is the most filling side dish i have ever tried !! big plus when trying to watch calories !
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    If you're allergic to gluten, avoid Barley...if not - enjoy it.

Monica
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Oh, well I thought you were asking. I was going to say potatoes. :ohwell:
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Oh, well I thought you were asking. I was going to say potatoes. :ohwell:

Yes, but then you substitute Cauliflower for Potatoes.

What do you substitute for Cauliflower? ANYTHING
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm. I do love my barley. I like it malted in a preparation with humulus lupulus flowers and yeast. It's delicious and a perfect post-workout recovery meal.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm. I do love my barley. I like it malted in a preparation with humulus lupulus flowers and yeast. It's delicious and a perfect post-workout recovery meal.
    Very true. I use it as meal replacement all of the time with great results!
  • Hawnpunch22
    Options
    Love both suggestions very much. But to me, there is no sub for rice. White sticky rice.