Type I Diabetes - Anyone could relate?

I've been a type 1 diabetic (insulin-dependent or juvenile) for over 16 years. I have trouble with excercising and losing weight, due to the amount of insulin I take on a daily basis. I tried an insulin pump, but that unfortunately has failed me, hopefully, for the time-being.
I'm just searching/looking out there for the same people who could offer encouragement! If you have any advice, words of wisdom, or anything - PLEASE! Offer! Thanks!

Replies

• shgreenw
    shgreenw Posts: 194 Member
    My husband is Type 1 too. He has lost 20 pounds through running. He's 6'3" and about 185 so he didn't have much to lose in the first place. His rule of thumb is the calories when he needs sugar don't count but he stays within his calorie goal with the other calories. He's on a pump if it makes any difference.

It can be done and you can do it! He is using SO much less insulin since starting his healthy lifestyle. It's been great for his health and our pocket book! :)
  • Thank you for responding!

I read on someone's post from a diabetes website that running and eating a lot healthier will help the insulin reduction process. I will definitely give running a shot!

About the pump - I treid all infusion sets (quick sets for over a year) all of a sudden stopped working. Then thought it was the pump - got a new one - tried Silhouettes, failed; shir-tees, failed, and lastly, mios, failed. Not sure what I was doing wrong or what, but after a month of my sugars being up and down from the 60s to the 600s - I was leaving the house with backups for everything and always wondered if my pump was actually giving me insulin or not. I was changing my sets/sites daily - which is not the reason I wanted a pump in the first place - to limit my daily injections.

Right now, I take at least 5 shots a day - Lantus and Apidra/Novolog - I split my Lantus to 2 shots because the amount doesn't last 24 hours, only 12 hours at a time.

Not sure if your husband has had simliar issues, or if he has any advice he could offer.

Thanks again! Much appreciated!
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    My brother and sister both have it. My brother's always been skinny (poo on him) but my sister gained some weight during college.

I don't know what she is doing but she has lost quite a bit recently (I don't know how much pound wise, but she lost two pants sizes). I know the doctor has put her on a low carb diet (30 carbs per meal) but I don't know if she has stuck to it. But if she did it you definitely can!
  • Thanks. My dietitian put me on 60 carbs per meal. Mainly with fruits and veggies. I haven't tried hard enough, but I need to eat more protein and veggies. If I incorporate lots of exercise in a given day, I don't take as much insulin. Normally, if I do exercise in the morning times, I rarely have to take the 3 shots of my short-acting insulin. I know the insulin is a major factor to putting on the weight. I have gained over 30 pounds since high school - really depressing, but gained 60 since being diagnosed 16 years ago. I use the excuse that I work a lot (3rds at one job and 12 hour shifts at another job) to not exercise.

I know I have to get motivated.

Thanks for you help!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!