need protein ideas

Options
I am looking to up my protein uptake but need some ideas. I'm finding it hard to find things that don't also have a lot of sodium!

Replies

• otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Unsalted nuts, meat, legumes (if you start with dry beans you can control the amount of salt), Greek yogurt.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    egg whites
    greek yogurt
    lean meats
  • edennew
    edennew Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb's Whey Protein Powder. Delicious, non-GMO, high quality, sweetened w/ natural stevia- and with 8 oz. skim milk is 33 grams protein and 196 calories!
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I just started P90X this morning, and the phase 1 eating plan calls for cutting carbs and WAY upping protein, so I'm in the same boat.

things I'm trying to incorporate more of:
    Tuna
    Chicken breast & other lean meats
    lean ground meat
    Soy yogurt (lactose intolerant)
    Egg (or egg white)
    nuts
    protein supplement (powder stuff - never used this before. tomorrow's the first day)
    protein bar (using clif builder at the moment)
    peanut butter

Hope that helps!
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Meat is murder.
  • lisamariebennett
    lisamariebennett Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Meat is murder.
    That was helpful.
  • lisamariebennett
    lisamariebennett Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas!

I'm definitely going to try doing nuts and greek yogurt for snacks. That will help a lot.

I hadn't thought about protein powder. Must head to GNC!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    All nuts and seeds but especially unsalted peanuts and almonds, peanut flour (48%), fat reduced cocoa powder (23%), any plain chicken or meat, eggs, plain Greek yoghurt, unflavoured light soft cheese, soybeans. Don't be scared of the natural sodium in oily seafish, that is outweighed by the health benefits of the long chain omega-3s, vitamins and minerals.
  • 8goodgirl0
    8goodgirl0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have some cottage cheese today. It's very low in fat as well. Also I eat Quorn but would rather eat tofu I think that's a good one
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    i just posted the same questions before seeing this.

I will buy greek yogurt and try that and unsalted nuts are easy! I just switched from olivio on toast to pb
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Meat is murder.

Please tell me what food isn't?

I was a vegetarian for 24 years and everything I ate, with the exception of chicken eggs and cheese) had to be killed in order for me to eat it.

I garden extensively and murder quite a few vegetables every summer. Worse than that, I keep their carcasses in my freezer and in my pantry! (canning)
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Yummy breakfast. Whisk eggs and milk. Mash in a banana to make omelette. Serve with Greek yogurt mixed with sweetener and cocoa powder
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I just started P90X this morning, and the phase 1 eating plan calls for cutting carbs and WAY upping protein, so I'm in the same boat.

things I'm trying to incorporate more of:
    Tuna
    Chicken breast & other lean meats
    lean ground meat
    Soy yogurt (lactose intolerant)
    Egg (or egg white)
    nuts
    protein supplement (powder stuff - never used this before. tomorrow's the first day)
    protein bar (using clif builder at the moment)
    peanut butter

Hope that helps!

Good list
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb's Whey Protein Powder. Delicious, non-GMO, high quality, sweetened w/ natural stevia- and with 8 oz. skim milk is 33 grams protein and 196 calories!

I drink this protein shake and its very good!!!
  • pkg4vikes
    Options
    The Dukan diet is based on high protein intake, low carbs and sugars. I went on that diet and lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks and felt great. The high intake of proteins reduced my appetite to manageable levels. You'll need some fiber though, so they recommend oat bran. I am currently in the third phase of the diet to stabilize things.

Dukan Diet - Attack Phase (5 - 7 days):

1. Lean Meats
    2. Poultry
    3. Lean pork
    4. Fish
    5. Sliced low-fat turkey & chicken
    6. Eggs
    7. Nonfat Dairy (non-fat yogurt, non-fat cottage cheese)
    8. 1 1/2 tablespoons oat bran
    9. coffee, tea, diet soda
    10. 1 1/2 quarts water
    11. Walk 20 minutes
    12. Sugar free gum
    13. Splenda
    14. Pickles - no sugar
    15. Natural Daily Vitamins