swimming

Options
Does anyone know why swimming does not make me breathless, or sweat, but is a high calorie burner. I only walk a short distance being so overweight and I am sweating and breathless, yet I can swim leisurely for up to 80 mins and burn a lot of calories, although I feel weak when I get dressed being diabetic and have to take an energy tablet, but in the water I feel fine. It seems to be working as my weight loss is good for 15 days at 16.5 lbs.

Replies

• brittfj
    brittfj Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    In the water youre doing a full work out, your breathing is also different. Swimming is so much easier on your joints too so stick with that if it is easier! :]
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's largely a function of gravity. When you're walking or running you are fighting the force the keeps us all from floating out into space but when you're in the water you're buoyant, your weight is being supported by the water and you are moving horizontally

I'm the opposite, I can run 20km or more without feeling like I've killed myself but a session swimming freestyle laps.leaves me exhausted.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You burn lots of calories swimming because it exercises your whole body and you have to overcome the water resistance, so you are working harder than if you did the same movements on dry land.

The water keeps you cool so you don't feel all hot and sweaty. And if you are swimming with good form you will be timing your breathing with your stroke so you are keeping your breathing under control.

Compared to say, running, you have the additional support of the water around you so you can ease off your stroke and let the water hold you up when you get tired. Because you are floating, your momentum will carry you along the water to some extent, whereas if you were running you have to push your body forwards and upwards on every landing. If you think about it, you probably make fewer muscle movements during a leisurely length in the pool than running the same distance.

That and I think some people are just better at certain types of exercises. I was always a better swimmer than most other sports, just found it easier.