Garmin GPS/HRM or similar...

Options
Hello all. I'm looking at replacing my Polar F7 with a GPS/HRM. It must keep a record of my workout online (if I get 200 workouts a year, I get a bonus from work!) and have a calorie count. I have recently taken up running which is why I'm interested in the GPS function. I have not been impressed with my last 2 Polar's but would be willing to look at one. I would like to keep the cost around $200.00 and not to exceed $300.00. Any suggestions? What do you use? What do you like about it? What do you not like about it?

Replies

• Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Also does anyone know why you need the footpod when it has a GPS? I don't get it.
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    The footpod is for the treadmill or if you want to record your cadence.

Garmin has tons of options for 200-300 bucks, pick one you'll love it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Any one of the Forerunner series will do the job for you.(I noticed Amazon.com has the 410 right now for about $150 which is about half price.....)
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    The Amazon Forerunner 410 is an AMAZING deal (and a great product); I have the older model (with the enormous watch unit that ways like a brick on your wrist after about 10miles) and I have found it to be reliable and an excellent addition to my runs.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 410. I like what it tracks, as the Garmin web interface has a ton of detail. I don't like that I can only see three things during my run though, unless I fumble a lot with the dial. Like heart rate, average lap time, and overall time, but anything else, like current speed, calories burned, distance, etc. can't be seen unless I go to the menu and make changes to my settings. I wish I could scroll through and see everything.

The watch face is also quite large, and it's less of a concern in the summer when I'm wearing a sleeveless running tank, but in the cold, and I'm wearing long sleeves, I've bumped the stop button several times in the middle of a run with my sleeve.
  • Les_Lamb57
    Les_Lamb57 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPHONE you could simply use the CycleMeter or RunMeter app (around $5 I think).
    You can export your rides into numerous free on-line apps.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 410. I like what it tracks, as the Garmin web interface has a ton of detail. I don't like that I can only see three things during my run though, unless I fumble a lot with the dial. Like heart rate, average lap time, and overall time, but anything else, like current speed, calories burned, distance, etc. can't be seen unless I go to the menu and make changes to my settings. I wish I could scroll through and see everything.

The watch face is also quite large, and it's less of a concern in the summer when I'm wearing a sleeveless running tank, but in the cold, and I'm wearing long sleeves, I've bumped the stop button several times in the middle of a run with my sleeve.

I've got a 405 (picked it up at Target, on clearance, about 11 months ago for less than $100). You can set it up so you have multiple screens that scroll by showing a bunch of different stuff. My first screen shows instant pace, total time, and distance, my 2nd screen shows a HR graph, HR, and zone, my 3rd screen shows just my HR really big.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I second the dcrainmaker blog read - he gives ridiculously in-depth reviews of most options out there, from soup to nuts. I ended up going with a garmin 310xt over the garmin 410 and Polar FT60. My basic criteria: waterproof, HRM, gps (or compatible), compatible with a cycling cadence and/or power meter, programmable for workouts and run timers (I never remember to eat or drink on long runs/rides). What pushed me over the edge for garmin over polar was the data download files - garmin's are in a more widely used/readable format, so I'm not stuck to some proprietary program or a web site that will go unsupported in a few years. Also, the Polar battery is non-rechargeable, so I'd have to fuss with the gasket a couple times a year. I'd rather send in the watch for a replacement once every few years and know it's still waterproof.

What scared me off the garmin 410 is the less vigorous waterproofing, 8 hour battery life (20 for 310), and the bezel control. I like to get lost on long runs and rides (and need a watch that WILL get me home, even at the end of a long day), I'm prone to doing stupid things with/near water, and I'm not the most dexterous person. If you're not going ridiculous distances, not using it for biking, and don't need the extra waterproofing, the 410 is way better than the FT60 for price. The fragile 310 watch face has me seriously spooked, but I'm hoping a layer of protective 3M film and fanatical care will help with that.

I didn't really consider the garmin 305 or 405, or the other Polars, I think mostly because they didn't fit my initial criteria. Timex has some too, but you're stuck with their software (which is subscription based for the full version, so you keep paying - the demo is likely adequate but I don't like the principle). Suunto has a few but none knocked my socks off. dcrainmaker has covered them all, though.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

Thank you for the blog recommendation, I will read it tonight.

Also thank you everyone for weighing in on it, appears the 410 is very popular!
  • Tubbytucka
    Tubbytucka Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the 410 here, I have had one for about 6 months now and it really does make me want to go out and record tracks.
    It's interesting to look back and compare heart rate and speed on a certain hill 2-3 months on and see your improvement.

I upload tracks to the garmin site, but also sportstrackerlive and strava as they all give me different info, and I can compare with friends on strava.

A couple of other points raised above - I agree re the bumping of the stop button - happened once, which was a bit annoying, and the waterproofing - no problems for me, and I have been completely drenched a couple of times.

Also, if you have big wrists, put the flexi strap on.
  • tressatnt
    Options
    I have the Garmin 205 and love it. I'm hoping to upgrade sometime in the near future. I have used the 205 so much and it's still working great, I just want a smaller face and the HRM strap now.
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I have a Garmin 910XT that has never been opened that I'm going to get rid of is anyone is looking. I had an in store credit I had to use by the end of November but they couldn't get the Garmin Fenix that I wanted. If anyone is interested PM me.