Horse People, where are you? Whinny if you can hear me!

Options

Replies

• cinderbay
    cinderbay Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I envy all you horse owners. I am currently working with a trainer on finding a horse I like. I purchased lessons for myself last Dec after not being on a horse in over 20 years.
    Six weeks ago my trainer and I started getting serious about how I feel on horses, look at horse, ground work, lunging, what I like and what i DISlike about the horse I am riding. Every week I ride a different horse. Hoping this will all help me when I get out there and start looking.
    I am nervous to take the plunge but it has been my dream since I was a little girl. Now at 41 I want to make my dream come true.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Hi, I ride. I compete in 1.20m(4') jumpers on the A or Gold Circuit. I have one retired mare, and my current competition horse at the moment.
    391255274.jpg

403343482.jpg

403564364.jpg

397722680.jpg

396917702.jpg
    Sorry, lots of pics.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I prefer to be called "Centaur". It's politically correct.
  • october41paula
    october41paula Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love seeing all the photos. I don't have any of my Twilla, 15.2h quarter horse, on this computer. My one and only horse got her when I was 15 and she passed away when I was 38yrs old. Oh I miss her so much. I lost her to cancer. I dream of another horse someday. Maybe when kids are older and we find some country land??? By then my weight should be at maintenance.
  • vurneva
    Options
    :smile: I TO HAVE THE LOVE FOR HORSES I HAD TO LET MY HORSE GO 6 MONTHS AGO HE WENT BACK TO HIS 1ST OWNER. MY FRIEND PAM HAD TWO HORSES AND COULD NOT TAKE CARE OF BOTH OF THEM, SO SHE GAVE ME MY HORSE (POCO) THE ONLY RULE WAS IF OR WHEN I COULD NOT TAKE CARE OF HIM I WOULD GIVE HIM BACK TO HER. I HAD POCO FOR 8 YEARS, THE DAY CAME WHEN I COULD NOT TAKE CARE OF HIM LIKE HE NEEDED. U SEE I HAVE POST POILO, AND I WAS UNABLE TO RIDE ANY MORE. I CAN SEE HIM ANY TIME I WANT HE IS ONLY 1 HOUR FROM MY HOME. I HAVE BEEN WORKING OUT FOR 4 YEARS NOW, DOING WATER AERBOICS TO STAY STRONG SO I COULD RIDE BUT I SLOW DOWN. I AM WORKING OUT MORE AND WOULD LIKE TO LOOSE 14 LBS SO I AM NOT PUTTING EXTRA WEIGHT ON MY LEGS. I AM ONLY 5FT TELL AND WEIGHT 114 LBS. I SO UNDERSTAND THE LOSS U FEEL NOT BEING ABLE TO RIDE, KEEP UP THE WORK SO U CAN RIDE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO U. I KNOW U CAN DO IT. WRIGHT BACK AND LET ME KNOW HOW U ARE DOING VURNEVA
  • kikimama125
    Options
    I ride and train. I just had a baby so I am just get back to it right now. But I have rode for years and been training (outside horses) for the last 5 years.

Right now I only own one horse (we had to cut back due to starting our family....and my husband isn't the biggest "hay burner" fan), my AQHA gelding. He is one of those horses who is worth his weight in gold. I use him for anything and everything. Right now he is mostly being a pony horse while I work with this really bratty, hardly halter broke 3 year old colt who knows how to throw his weight around. He is the product of a person who has no clue about horses, buying a weanling.... So I definatly need my gelding's muscle to drag him around till he decides that being nice is easier.

Anyways, I would love to get back to training reiners but in the area we live right now (the boonies) is cutting horse country and so I am just sticking to problem horses and starting colts. Hopefully, we will move in the next couple years and I can get back to it. While I really enjoy fixing problem horses, starting colts is kinda boring to me. Too bland, they are nice blank slates but I only get to put the basics on them before they go. Problem horses are fun to figure out and fix, but my husband isn't a huge fan of me taking on the really bad cases anymore....I'll keep working on him! He seems to think I'm out the maim myself.

I am losing the baby weight and getting back into good shape to better my riding. I find that weight training really helps.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Neigh baby, neigh!

I've been riding since I was twelve. I started off riding english, but once I got to college and joined the equestrian team, I switched to western. I competed on the team for the four years I was there and had so much fun.

I don't own my own horse, and haven't ridden since April (I'm in serious withdrawal, guys. Its painful). Lessons are just so expensive, and since I'm still living at home, looking for a job, its just not feasible for me money-wise. I'm thinking of volunteering at a barn, and in return I would be able to do some riding, but the barn is kinda far away from me.

As for advice, I can give you some on how to get a better seat. RIde without stirrups! Seriously, it helps so much. There was one semester where my coach (who is a 6 foot tall amazon woman) didn't have a saddle with stirrups that went short enough for me. So for practically the entire semester, I rode stirrup free. Man, by the end of that semester my seat was EXCELLENT. My butt would stay in the saddle no matter what.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Very big horse person and family here. I want to feel better in the saddle so this is my big motivation to lose weight as well.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Whinnying back, I got 3 horses and I am trying to lose weight as well to be able to ride better. Glad to see others out there.
  • SDormer91
    Options
    I used to ride twice a week but haven't been able to since I was 18 (three years ago). When I was riding regularly and working on the farm for my lessons, I managed to lose almost a full dress size (didn't weight myself) and got a lot fitter just doing farm work. The horse I rode was a 16.2hh Thoroughbred schoolmaster who taught me a lot by simply being the kind of horse who wasn't forward without me being able to be the boss and make him move. Sometimes he'd be full of it, simply because he hadn't been ridden for a couple of weeks or the green grass growing through but because he was always so steady, I never once doubted him - even after he bolted and I came off at a gallop (my first!).
    I'd love to get back into riding but where I live there are only two lesson barns and both are about 40kms away (about a 40-50min drive). Everywhere close is farmland, but it's people who own their own horse and the horses are usually OTT Thoroughbreds who aren't suitable for a nervous rider like me. I definitely miss the flexibility that came with being in the saddle (I never used to have tight hamstrings!).
    Getting back in the saddle isn't one of my motivations for losing weight - I actually wish that I was using it to as a way to lose weight! But good luck guys! :)
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    000h8wg0
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    We have too many horses to list! Lol! Right now I'm riding a colt of mine pretty regular. But we have 5 that are rideable :). We also have a team for the wagon/sleigh. And another colt that I'll be starting in the next month or two. I'm a busy girl! Riding is part of my "exercise" and I LOVE every minute of it!
  • danadeere
    danadeere Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have never owned any horses of my own but I have been riding since I was nine. I plan on in the next year to two years buying my daughter a pony and myself a horse but first i need to lose about 100 lbs, so i don't feel like i am hurting the horse.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I'm currently horseless, but I grew up eventing to training level. I've owned a QH and a Morgan. I also have worked as a manager at a jumper barn and groomed at a dressage barn. I really miss the horses, but riding is not in the budget these days.
  • NRLMMeynendonckx
    Options
    HI, I'm 21 years old and we own one horse, a belgian warmblood. I ride dressage 3 - 4 times a week. I love horseback riding and it never feels like working out (which almost always feels like a chore to me.)
  • stephgreene
    Options
    I'm so jealous of all the people that ride regularly and have horses! I used to ride western, then took lessons in English and at the point when I was ready to compete for dressage my parents told me I couldn't do it anymore because it was simply too expensive :(

If anyone lives in NJ and wants to ride together let me know! haha
  • EasyKeeper8
    EasyKeeper8 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm a little late to the thread, but would love to have some horse buddies! I've got two, a 15'3 1200 lb paint gelding and a 14'1 hand 950 lb buckskin! I know my big guy can handle me, but I want to get back into my old riding form to really enjoy my little buckskin, maybe do gaming and team penning. We do a lot of trail rides and are competing at versatility trail. So fun! Feel free to add me! :)
  • SheilaHoover
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE seeing so many of you!! Add me if you like...I'm always happy to have more horse people in my support team! Or...as I was informed is more politically correct, Centaurs! ;o)
    7631282 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Add me as your friend. Love horses, own three.
  • Allegra_Williams
    Options
    When I was a teenager I did allot of long distance riding. (I really wanted to be an endurance rider.)

When my horse Saint would get winded, I would hop off and jog next to him. The break always perked him right up, and gave me an awesome exercise.

Oh, my mother is a farrier, so I was pretty much born into horses.