Slightly embarrassing question?

Options
Since I started my weight loss journey,my fluid intake has decreased dramatically. I think before my diet I used to drink quite a lot because I always felt thirsty and this was probably due to the processed and high sodium foods I used to eat. Now I don't tend to get very thirsty and have to force myself to drink more fluids which I invariably forget to do on a regular basis.

So to my slightly embarrassing question.

Since reducing my daily fluid intake, I have found the need to go 'pee' more frequently than I ever did when I was drinking a litre or more of fluids per day.

Now there may be no connection between the two things, in which case I may well have an underlying problem, but I was just wondering if anyone else who's fluid intake is less than before is experiencing the same feeling of wanting to 'pee' more regularly.

I understand if no one wants to discuss their toilet habits, it's taken me about 5 days to decide to discuss mine LOL

Replies

• MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I reckon when you are aware of 'going' it seems like more of an issue because you are obsessing over it!

I drink a tonne of water every day, perhaps (I know this sounds nuts) but upping your intake of water. are you drinking the recommended 8-10 glasses as day still (Just water, not soda, coffee etc)

Try cranberry tea if you think you might have a UTI. :)
  • arkwright617
    Options

I drink a tonne of water every day, perhaps (I know this sounds nuts) but upping your intake of water. are you drinking the recommended 8-10 glasses as day still (Just water, not soda, coffee etc)

Try cranberry tea if you think you might have a UTI. :)

I'm certainly not drinking 8-10 glasses a day and when I do drink I only drink low cal tonic water.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Have you tried drinking more water? perhaps with some fresh lime squeezed in for flavour?

Sometimes you need to drink extra water to flush out any nasties in your urinary tract. :)
  • mcampbell795
    mcampbell795 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This is interesting as I have actually gone the other way, since I have cut down on the high fat foods I have dramatically increased my fluid intake to 'fill me up'. I'm constantly running to the bathroom lol But when I try to cut down on the fluids I just feel deprived and want to eat :/ Anyone any advice??
  • srob98
    srob98 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you are worried you may have a urinary tract infection, you would feel the need to go pee, but you would produce very little when you go. If you are producing normally, but just going more often, then it is probably not a UTI. However, a trip to your primary care doctor is always a good thing. If you have not had a check-up in a while, it is a good idea to do so, then talk to you doctor. He or she can tell you if your increased output is normal. =)
  • donnas144
    donnas144 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    whether u have a uti or not and infact if u do its best to drink at least 8glasses a day. i kniw before now i really didnt drink v much and when i started to drink more i was going so often until my body adusted.
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    There can be a number for reasons for this.

My first thought, being a diabetic myself, is having to pee a lot is a symptom of diabetes. The reason for this is that when your Blood Sugars are too high your bodies way of dealing with it is to flush the excess "sugar" out.

Do you have any of the other symptoms - see this link - http://www.diabetes.co.uk/type2-diabetes-symptoms.html

If you've not had a check up for a while, as srob98 suggest a visit to the Dr may be a good idea.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    If you cut out a lot of proccessed foods, then you are taking in a lot less sodium so your body isn't holding on to as much water.
  • ChadB74
    ChadB74 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    From WebMD

http://www.webmd.com/urinary-incontinence-oab/frequent-urination-causes-and-treatments

Gotta go all the time? The technical name for your problem is frequent urination. In most people the bladder is able to store urine until it is convenient to go to the toilet, typically four to eight times a day. Needing to go more than eight times a day or waking up in the night to go to the bathroom could mean you're drinking too much and/or too close to bedtime. Or it could signal a health problem.

Causes of Frequent Urination

Frequent urination can be a symptom of many different problems. When frequent urination is accompanied by fever, an urgent need to urinate, and pain or discomfort in the abdomen, you may have a urinary tract infection. Other possible causes of frequent urination include:

Diabetes. Frequent urination is often an early symptom of both type 1 and type 2 diabetes as the body tries to rid itself of unused glucose through the urine.

Pregnancy. From the early weeks of pregnancy the growing uterus places pressure on the bladder, causing frequent urination.

Prostate problems. An enlarged prostate can press against the urethra (the tube that carries urine out the body) and block the flow of urine. This causes the bladder wall to become irritable. The bladder begins to contract even when it contains small amounts of urine, causing more frequent urination.

Interstitial cystitis. This condition of unknown cause is characterized by pain in the bladder and pelvic region. Often, symptoms include an urgent and/or frequent need to urinate.

Diuretic use. These medications that are used to treat high blood pressure or fluid buildup work in the kidney and flush excess fluid from the body, causing frequent urination.

Stroke or other neurological diseases. Damage to nerves that supply the bladder can lead to problems with bladder function, including frequent and sudden urges to urinate.

Less common causes include bladder cancer, bladder dysfunction, and radiation therapy.

Often, frequent urination is not a symptom of a problem, but is the problem. In people with overactive bladder syndrome, involuntary bladder contractions lead to frequent and often urgent urination, meaning you have to get to a bathroom right now -- even if your bladder is not full. It may also lead you to wake up once or more during the night to use the bathroom.

Diagnosing the Cause of Frequent Urination

If urinary frequency interferes with your lifestyle or is accompanied by other symptoms such as fever, back or side pain, vomiting, chills, increased appetite or thirst, fatigue, bloody or cloudy urine, or a discharge from the penis or vagina, it's important to see your doctor.

To diagnose the cause of frequent urination, your doctor will perform a physical examination and take a medical history, asking questions such as the following:
    Are you taking any medications?
    Are you experiencing other symptoms?
    Do you have the problem only during the day or also at night?
    Are you drinking more than usual?
    Is your urine darker or lighter than usual?
    Do you drink alcohol or caffeinated beverages?
  • towardthesunshine
    Options
    If you cut out a lot of proccessed foods, then you are taking in a lot less sodium so your body isn't holding on to as much water.

THIS. Water is attracted to sodium. When you were eating sodium-rich foods, the water went straight for the sodium. Now that you're not intaking as much, the water doesn't combine with the excess sodium and results in increased urination :D
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    From WebMD

http://www.webmd.com/urinary-incontinence-oab/frequent-urination-causes-and-treatments

Gotta go all the time? The technical name for your problem is frequent urination. In most people the bladder is able to store urine until it is convenient to go to the toilet, typically four to eight times a day. Needing to go more than eight times a day or waking up in the night to go to the bathroom could mean you're drinking too much and/or too close to bedtime. Or it could signal a health problem.

Causes of Frequent Urination

Frequent urination can be a symptom of many different problems. When frequent urination is accompanied by fever, an urgent need to urinate, and pain or discomfort in the abdomen, you may have a urinary tract infection. Other possible causes of frequent urination include:

Diabetes. Frequent urination is often an early symptom of both type 1 and type 2 diabetes as the body tries to rid itself of unused glucose through the urine.

Pregnancy. From the early weeks of pregnancy the growing uterus places pressure on the bladder, causing frequent urination.

Prostate problems. An enlarged prostate can press against the urethra (the tube that carries urine out the body) and block the flow of urine. This causes the bladder wall to become irritable. The bladder begins to contract even when it contains small amounts of urine, causing more frequent urination.

Interstitial cystitis. This condition of unknown cause is characterized by pain in the bladder and pelvic region. Often, symptoms include an urgent and/or frequent need to urinate.

Diuretic use. These medications that are used to treat high blood pressure or fluid buildup work in the kidney and flush excess fluid from the body, causing frequent urination.

Stroke or other neurological diseases. Damage to nerves that supply the bladder can lead to problems with bladder function, including frequent and sudden urges to urinate.

Less common causes include bladder cancer, bladder dysfunction, and radiation therapy.

Often, frequent urination is not a symptom of a problem, but is the problem. In people with overactive bladder syndrome, involuntary bladder contractions lead to frequent and often urgent urination, meaning you have to get to a bathroom right now -- even if your bladder is not full. It may also lead you to wake up once or more during the night to use the bathroom.

Diagnosing the Cause of Frequent Urination

If urinary frequency interferes with your lifestyle or is accompanied by other symptoms such as fever, back or side pain, vomiting, chills, increased appetite or thirst, fatigue, bloody or cloudy urine, or a discharge from the penis or vagina, it's important to see your doctor.

To diagnose the cause of frequent urination, your doctor will perform a physical examination and take a medical history, asking questions such as the following:
    Are you taking any medications?
    Are you experiencing other symptoms?
    Do you have the problem only during the day or also at night?
    Are you drinking more than usual?
    Is your urine darker or lighter than usual?
    Do you drink alcohol or caffeinated beverages?

This ^ - I would go get a physical. Mention this to your doctor. Better safe than sorry. Good luck :)
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Have you cut carbs? For every 1g of glycogen (carb fuel) stored in the body there is 3g of water. If you don't take in enough carbs, and to a lesser extent fibre protein or fat you body cannot hold onto the water in the fruit and veggies so you pee it right back out again. Reduction is salt intake will likely be contributing.

ETA looking at your food diary you are still eating a lot of processed high salt foods and very little in the way of fruit and vegetables. Try tracking your fibre intake, it looks super low as does your protein intake.
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    your urine is more concentrated and could be irratating your bladder which makes you need to go more often.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    First, I think you should do whatever it takes to increase your daily water intake, especially if you're exercising. If you're concerned about possible uti's, you can take a cranberry supplement or drink cranberry juice, I recommend the diet or light b/c of the high sugar in the regular. Are you drinking a lot of coffee or tea? They have a diuretic effect. The color & odor of your urine are what's important. The darker it is, the more dehydrated you are. If you can smell it, you're either dehydrated or have an infection. I hope this helps.
  • fit30s
    fit30s Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this recently, too. Here's a theory (that's totally mine, and not something I read): When hydrocarbons (such as carbohydrates, fats, and proteins) are metabolized, they are turned into carbon dioxide and water, and energy is released, in the form of heat and the ability to move your body. Much of this water is disposed of as sweat and breath-moisture, but (and here's my theory) does this water also come out as increased urine?
  • jessiex21
    jessiex21 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Dont have any scientific facts to back this up but I find on the weeks I have to go more often I end up having a greater weight loss. If I dont go so often the weight loss is less. Guess all those lbs have to go somewhere - lol !!!
  • arkwright617
    Options

ETA looking at your food diary you are still eating a lot of processed high salt foods and very little in the way of fruit and vegetables. Try tracking your fibre intake, it looks super low as does your protein intake.

I have to agree that my fruit and vegetable intake is poor. I really should make an effort but I just hate fruit and vegetables.

I'm surprised by your comment regarding protein though as that is the one area I seem to exceed almost every day based on MFP's reccommendations.

I also hadn't realised I was still eating high salt foods as MFP hasn't flagged up sodium intake as a problem.

I guess despite my weight loss, I am failing miserably in the 'healthy' eating stakes.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options

I have to agree that my fruit and vegetable intake is poor. I really should make an effort but I just hate fruit and vegetables.

i hear this a lot. surely you cannot hate every single fruit and vegetable you've ever met! that's a lot of hate!

back to your initial question, i think the person who suggested that your urine is more concentrated and therefore irritating to your bladder is right. also, all the little wees are training your bladder to hold less.

try hard to drink more. the first few days suck, you'll be piddling every five minutes, but after a few days it gets easier to drink more, and your bladder gets used to holding more. i drink a big cup of orange tea with breakfast, and take another cup in the car with me when i go to work, and i have another cup after dinner. that leaves me with less than a litre of actual cold wet water that i have to glug down during the day to meet my daily requirement. i have a litre drink bottle, and i just have a big drink whenever i look at it during the day. at first it was a chore, now it's easy.