I've struggled for 2 months now--about to wave white flag

Options
It's been two months since I have had a steady weight loss.

Since 10/12 I have gained and lost the same 3-5lbs weekly. I know my body has taken a tremendous hit loosing the amount of weight that I have, but I am so discouraged.

I have seriously tried to hang in there, thanks to the support of my MFP friends, I keep exercising and keep faithful to my food program...but I am at a loss.

I don't want to go back to being the seriously overweight and unhappy person I was. I know the definition of stupid is doing the same thing and expecting a different result--so am I being stupid with the same exercise and food plan?! It worked for so long why not now?

HELP!

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 90% diet, so if you are stuck at a weight with your current intake, I suggest increasing your calories, or eating back your exercise calories. Log everything you eat (at least for a month) and if you still have no change then increase more. 1200 cal isnt really the magic number, plus thats your goal, your minimum for the day.

A good strength training routine will help you too.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    most people are going to say the same thing:

your cals are too low - there's an 85% chance of this and you aren't always eating back your exercise cals. you should probably go to maintenence for a while (try going up by 100 a week to 1400-1500) and eat that for a week or two and see what effect that has on your weight loss.

2. you arn't logging your food diary consistantly - how do you really know if you are over or under if you don't record it. you dont. you could easily be eating 300 more cals a day without realising. you have to track this properly. end of story.

3. its time to ease back down to a healthy weekly weight loss - 1200 is probably too extreme for you now, you are at a healthier weight so u need to slow down to 1/2 - 1lb a week AND eat back your exercise cals.

4. are you seeing changes in your body, does it look different, are your measurements changing? I havent lost much weight recently, but my body is changing. might be time for you to focus on how you look and making sure you are loosing fat not muscle.

4 points to address. answers on the back of a postcard.
  • tbrp
    tbrp Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I can relate to your post because I went through a very similar things. I lost steadily for quite sometime and then it seems like I went into what was a 3 month plateau. I just put A clear focus on logging carefully and staying with in my calorie limits and that seem to get me pass the plateau. I tried eating more calories I tried eating less calories bottom line 1200 calories seems to be the magic number for me. Just keep doing the right things and eventually you will break past this plateau
  • Brieyonce
    Brieyonce Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel about wanting to wave the white flag but don't do it! If it helps at all I am proud of you for the weight loss you have had so far. You've just hit a plateau.. DON't GIVE UP!!! Keep on keepin on!! Just play around with different things until you find something that works again.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I agree...you probably need to eat more. I'm 30 years old, female and I eat more than you do a day. Have you checked out helloitsdan's post? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 If not, I suggest you do, it helped me when I wasn't losing for a bit
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    DOn't give up, you can do it. Look around at all the other people here who have done it. There is nothing special about any of them, other than that found what worked and stuck with it. Think of how you will feel if you give up, as opposed to how you will feel if you stick with it and succeed. I would suggest that you log your food every day, as it seems you do not log on weekends. I also noticed some really low calorie days, around 600 or 700 where you either did not eat enough or you just did not log. Log everything you eat. Figure out how many calories your body needs, and do not eat too few. This really can make a difference. I was losing weight real steadily for a while and then hit a giant plateau. I used the TDEE and BMR calculators and figured out how much I should be eating, and raised my calories. I am now losing regulary again. Hang in there!!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Always log your food. I log honestly, even when I'm 1000 calories over , then I am in control of my deficit or lack thereof not the scale. I've been losing .2 of a pound a week for the last month... On the scale it looks like I keep gaining and losing four ponds or more! I am so glad I don't pay attention to this and I am confident that I eat to maintain or lose every week.
  • Amazonbella
    Options
    Switch it up! And Remember, No one said it will be easy all the time. If you aren't having any luck with the program you are visit a nutritionist or see a personal trainer for a couple of sessions to see if they incorporate something new that you haven't tried or thought of yet. Do you do the same cardio? Try something you never have; ie. always on the treadmill try the rowing machine. Don't give up, remember it's a LIFESTYLE and regardless if the scale is moving you are doing healthy things for your body by eatting right and working out...which has benefits all of it's own!! Stay with it! :)
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    The same thing has been happening to me for the last 5 months or so.

Last week I upped my calories from 1300 to 1500 and, like magic, lost 2.4lbs and a couple of inches too.

You need to read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I never believed all the "eat more to weigh less" talk on here until I was brave enough to try it for myself. It works!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it sounds like it's time for you to pack the scale away for a while and just keep on chugging.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Captain tight pants! What a terrific name:)
  • StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Don't give up you have came way too far!! Change things up a little...for me I had to add a few more steps to my day and change what a was eating a little...both wee little changes but it sure paid off!! Hang in there, keep fighting because it is well worth it!!
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I had the same problem two months ago.
    I went to the gym and worked out 6 days a week and stuck to my food program on here and for a long time kept losing and gaining the same 6 lbs over and over.
    So I changed my exercise routine too 3 to 4 times a week and started eating a low carb diet.
    I started losing weight again within a couple of days and have continued for almost three months now.
    I am down 25 lbs since I started doing this. I think my body just needed something different.
    I already know that people are going to say about the whole carb thing. But it works for me and I feel great.
    Don't give up, you can do it.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Flicking through your diary 2 things occur to me:

1) You need to be more consistent in your logging. It's important to be honest about what you eat. Not just for the accountability but also to not feel as though you are hiding what you eat from yourself.

2) It looks like you are kind of consistently under eating when you do log. The combo of undereating during the week and then what I would guess is over eating on the weekends is likely part of what's got you stuck. A better bet (I've found) is to slowly increase your regular calories- 1200, 1250, 1300, 1350, 1400 - up to maintenence and try to eat up to those. If you go a little over on the weekends don't beat yourself up. Then drop back to 1200 or 1250 and repeat until you are at your goal weight.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    The same thing has been happening to me for the last 5 months or so.

Last week I upped my calories from 1300 to 1500 and, like magic, lost 2.4lbs and a couple of inches too.

You need to read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I never believed all the "eat more to weigh less" talk on here until I was brave enough to try it for myself. It works!

^^THIS!!!! It worked for me, too.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    giving up when things get a little tough, that gets you places.
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Don't just simply lose weight, aim for BODY RECOMPOSITION. Google how to achieve that.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    WOW! Congratulations, I just looked at your profile picture.... what a wonderful change I see in you! I'll bet all your friends and relatives are either 1.) very proud, or 2.) extremely jealous!

I agree with what many are saying, it's time to increase your calories! I lost a lot of weight at 1200 calories for the first couple of months, then it stopped working. Your body needs fuel to repair your muscles after exercise, and without the fuel you'll be stuck in a rut lower than a snake's belly. :wink: Good luck, I know you can do it!
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    We have close to the same amount of weight left to lose.I just decided to switch from 2lb loss a week to 1.5lb. Maybe you should try this too. You dont have much left. Great progress!!!!! But I know how frustrating this is. Do not give up. You are sooooooo much healthier now.