I've mad some changes, does anyone have any other good sugge

Options
lculian
lculian Posts: 313 Member
Hi, I'm new to this site, but have been changing my lifestyle for 58 days and counting. So far I've lost 19 lbs. I'm hoping that this site will help me get a better look at how many lifestyle changes I've made and how often I have days where I fall off the wagon:)
My big changes so far are; No soda of any kind...this is amazing, because I averaged 3 liters of Diet Mountain Dew a day for over two years!!! No eatting after 8:00pm Monitor my calories, try to stay between 1200 - 1400 per day. 3 work outs a week 45 minutes each Wow there are more changes than I thought but I didn't start working out until day 22.
I am trying to commit to a lifestyle change. I don't want to give up the things I love to eat. I also don't want to be the person who makes it hard to go out to eat and enjoy an evening with friends and family. I've tried South Beach and other diets and while they worked for me it was not an enjoyable lifestyle I could live with long term. I am hoping that this adventure teaches me how to handle days that I go overboard and how to maintain a healthy weight. I am glad I'm working out again.
I started this adventure because I had severe pain in my back (yep, from too much belly fat) and vein pain in my thighs. I'm happy to report the back pain is gone and has been gone since day 22 that's why I started exercising:) The pain in my legs is still there, but is much less severe. I don't know if this will help anyone, but I'm excited to start using the tools on this site.

Does anyone have any other changes that have worked for you?

Replies

• nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I think you're on the right track :) and great job on losing those 19lbs so quickly!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Cutting out simple carbs. (I was forced to go gluten free due to an allergy) but since I did my weightloss really started to ramp up. So that means, no more breads, cereal etc... also gave up potatoes. (That was a big deal for me.) Fiber comes in the form of fresh fruits and veggies as well as wild rice and quinoa. It's been a good change and there are still lots of foods that I love that I get to eat. Also, I've started cooking new foods that I know are healthy. Making it fun I did 30 new recipes in 60 days. It was a lot of fun AND now I have some new recipes that I know are healthy and that I really enjoy. :drinker:
  • jmarie9
    jmarie9 Posts: 108
    Options
    that's a great start!!!

a few changes I've made have been eating 1 slice of bread... it's so weird but this was hard to break! i always would just eat 2 slices... it was a habit! who eats just 1 slice of bread?! hahaha

and another one is using romaine lettuce leafs instead of bread for sandwiches. you can fill them with lunch meat, tuna, hummus whatever, its like a lettuce boat full of yummy stuff!
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options
    Congrats on your accomplishments!! Sounds like you're doing great! Also, if you're exercising, make sure you're feeding your muscles protein. =)
  • arfletcher
    arfletcher Posts: 143
    Options
    Cutting out simple carbs. (I was forced to go gluten free due to an allergy) but since I did my weightloss really started to ramp up. So that means, no more breads, cereal etc... also gave up potatoes. (That was a big deal for me.) Fiber comes in the form of fresh fruits and veggies as well as wild rice and quinoa. It's been a good change and there are still lots of foods that I love that I get to eat. Also, I've started cooking new foods that I know are healthy. Making it fun I did 30 new recipes in 60 days. It was a lot of fun AND now I have some new recipes that I know are healthy and that I really enjoy. :drinker:

This is almost exactly what I was going to say!

Also - Check out thatsfit.ca - they have some good articles and some great recipes!
  • lculian
    Options
    Thank you, for the tip and encouragement:flowerforyou: . I noticed that the recommended amount of protein is only 45 but my physician suyggested 90 for days where I exercise... do you know if that is too much???
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    Thank you, for the tip and encouragement:flowerforyou: . I noticed that the recommended amount of protein is only 45 but my physician suyggested 90 for days where I exercise... do you know if that is too much???

the amount of protein MFP gives is very little, and I have noticed that a lot of ppl who were successful at their weight loss eat doublt that amount and sometimes more depending on your exercise and all.

recently I changed my meal goals. u can do this so:

*********go to MY HOME>goals>change>custom> and set the percentages of carbs/protein/fats. ********

u have to read up on it first to figure out what percentages u wanna go with but its different for different ppl but right now I'm trying out 45%/30% and 25% fat to see how that works out.

and yes u do need to refuel ur body with protein on days ur exercise.
  • mariena
    mariena Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think you are on the right track. It's smart to not over do it at first otherwise you'll get burned out. Eating more healthful foods, you'll find that your body composition WILL truly transform, but if your goal is to be healthy and happy and not a supermodel then I say eat what you like within your calorie range. Your workouts sound fine. Are you doing any strength training? Strong muscles are very important for overall health. Muscle burns fat better than cardio and remember you need strong muscles to protect and support your bones and joints through the aging process especially your hips and spine. I think you are doing great!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I know it can be hard not to think of yourself as "difficult" when you go out to eat with someone...just try not to go out to eat spur of the moment so you can plan your day's calories around dinner (or lunch, or whatever meal it is) so you have enough calories. Research the restaurant before. Go to their website & see if they have low-cal options or just opt for a salad with a meat and ask for dressing on the side. Most restaurants you can't go wrong with only eating half the portion. Just make sure you check before and then you'll be prepared. :)
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Great Job! Congrats on No More Back Pain! :flowerforyou:

I'm assuming you replaced the "Dew" with water :wink: That helps is so many ways :flowerforyou:

Check out the Recipe Forum. I got some great recipes. I learned that i didn''t have to deprive myself. If I wanted a Burger... Tukey Burger on Arnolds Thins, Lettuce, Tomatoes, Onions. Yummy. If I want Pizza, Wheat Crust, Turkey Pepperoni, tomatoes, onions and spaghetti sauce... 2 slices with a salad... Yummy.

Also, I didn't Burn myself out with exercise. I did what I enjoyed (walking, rollerblading, biking) if the weather didn't permit, I did the elliptical because it's easy on the knees and I really love it.

And the Big one - Don't weigh yourself too often if you can help it. Slow and Steady Baby! :flowerforyou:
  • lculian
    Options
    Thank you for the suggetstions, I love to ccok so I'll be checking out the recipe forum:tongue: I did replace the Dew with water and greem tea. I am finding things that once tasted bitter I actually like now.
  • lculian
    Options
    I like the way you think!! I can still have fun, but not trash a weeks worth of work over a plate of chili cheese fries and a couple margaritas:wink: Congrats on your progress!!
  • lculian
    Options
    Thanks!! I didn't even realize that was an option! Off to make some changes to my home page:happy:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!