less weight = more calories burned?

Options
I just reset my hear rate moniter with my new weight. Went at the same run this morning, and burned more calories. Does weighing less make you burn more calories, or am I excited for nothing?

Replies

• christieb143102
    christieb143102 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i always "knew" the less you way the less you burn. thats why they say to lower your weight a certain percentage on the elliptical and treadmill.
    but your lower weight may have motivated you to work a little harder at the run?
    sorry, i'm not much help!
    lol
  • clheide
    clheide Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I was pretty sure that it's the opposite...the less you weigh, the less calories burned. Are you sure your heart rate avg and max were the same on both runs?
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Whats probably helping you burn more calories, could be your metabolism has improved, based on your eating habits and workout habits.

Its different for each person, but YEAH!!!! to you, that you are burning more calories
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    With my HRM I find that when I edit the weight I do a fitness check also. When I do both of these things I burn less calories on the same run. I would check that first before geting to excited. However, if you increased the intensity while doing the run you may have burned more calories.
  • polyesterchesters
    polyesterchesters Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    maybe it is circumstance. now I get up at 430am to run, and don't eat until about 830 after I am done working out. Perchance it may be my anger at my alarm getting me out of bed to run! Anger burns calories right?
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    The less you weigh, the less calories you burn *with the same intensity.*
    So if you ran with more intensity and kept your heart rate higher, yep, you would've prpobably burned more calories than you did at a higher weight at a lower intensity. :smile:
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    HRM's don't take your metabolism into account. It is strictly based on Heart rate and other factors you put in. Someone recently posted a link to a study done on HRM's and the ones on machines and found HRM's were inaccurate calorie burns by up to 40%.

which I found shocking because I love mine.

If it is showing a higher calorie burn maybe you were working harder than it seemed so you burned more. Great job either way.
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    The less you weigh, the less calories you burn *with the same intensity.*
    So if you ran with more intensity and kept your heart rate higher, yep, you would've prpobably burned more calories than you did at a higher weight at a lower intensity. :smile:

That makes sense!
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    HRM's don't take your metabolism into account. It is strictly based on Heart rate and other factors you put in. Someone recently posted a link to a study done on HRM's and the ones on machines and found HRM's were inaccurate calorie burns by up to 40%.

which I found shocking because I love mine.

If it is showing a higher calorie burn maybe you were working harder than it seemed so you burned more. Great job either way.

HRMs were inaccurate compared to the ones on machines? This is shocking!
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Lol a simple glance at the laws of physics will remind you that less mass needs less energy to do the same amount of work. In other words, a fat person will burn more energy running a mile than a thin person running a mile at the same speed.