Question

Options
Hi people
I've just joined today and i have a question
When you fill your details in you get a calorie allowance per day, mine is 1389
Is this the amount of calories your body needs just to function properly, so for breathing, body temparature regulation etc?, so if i eat more than 1389 calories a day i will put weight on?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    That's the amount you would eat, without any exercise, to lose weight at whatever rate you selected (1 lb per week, etc.). When you log your exercise, your suggested intake would increase to match.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Hi people
    I've just joined today and i have a question
    When you fill your details in you get a calorie allowance per day, mine is 1389
    Is this the amount of calories your body needs just to function properly, so for breathing, body temparature regulation etc?, so if i eat more than 1389 calories a day i will put weight on?

It depends on how you answered the set up questions about activity level and goals. If you set the activity level at the suggested setting "sedentary" and you didn't put any weight loss goal, then this is MFPs estimate of calories to maintain weight. If you set a weight loss goal, they have subtracted a few hundred calories from what it would take for your to maintain your weight, and you would not put on weight going over this number. 1389 is pretty low, so I am guessing you put in a weight loss goal. Maintenance for most people is between 1600 and 2400.
  • Civrev
    Options
    Thanks guys, it makes sense now